1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA R-10 MK2s Talk to me.....

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Staples230uk, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Staples230uk

Staples230uk Active Member

Having had my bonus confirmed, I am looking at getting a BSA R-10mk2. I currently own a BSA Ultra, and use it for ratting, so was looking for a bigger brother for it. Any advice would be helpful. Other rifle suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Nice rifle, has a good following on here. Just shoulder an HW100 before you spend your bonus. And whatever you buy, make it .177. KB1

3. critter

critter Donator

Nice looking rifle and nice to shoulder and if you are after a high shot count then a probably a good choice, It's only problem is its bad reputation! Like above post shoulder the HW100 before you part with your cash but enjoy what ever you buy.

4. Staples230uk

Cheers for the advice guys!

5. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The R10 is a cracking rifle - better than the HW100 any day. Lighter, more pointable, faster on aim (because they are lighter and more pointable). Better stock on the R10 too - I would love one of those stocks fo rmy Rapid.

Talk to Darrin at XTX air, he pulls them apart and customises them and has all sorts of specific extras for them - exclusive to him. Special shrouds and silencers, along the lines of a Hugget, but at sensible price (from a Dutch custom extras maker). Anything you are worried about on the R10 Darrin can tell you. HW100s leaked like sieves too - but all those problem trails were successfully hushed up to try to retain the mystique and reputation....seems it worked. The only thing I would use an HW100 for, is an anchor, they are heavy enough to make a good one!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Try Daystste huntsman or air ranger before to go with r10

7. walker

walker Busy Member

id have a good look for a second hand rifle matey. lots of cracking deals on the various gun sale sites.

8. Staples230uk

I agree some cracking 2nd hand bargains. Plenty of good suggestions guys thank you all

9. BlackSniper

BlackSniper Engaging Member

Well said mate!

10. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

I dont own an r10 atm but had the mk1 and the mk2 and will definitely buy another one . And as said they are a much better rifle than the other rifle suggested atb

11. Rabid

Rabid Engaging Member

I also have the r10 mk 2, very happy with it so far, lighter and easier to shoulder quickly as already said !

the only problem I have encountered, one of the mags went wrong and would not line up correctly, so that went back to the shop after less than 30 pellets, but the other is coming upto 500 and no probs so far.

in my local shop the air ranger is £1142, so although it looks good, a big price hike to go with it !

i have been looking around at the secondhand market, some very good deals to be had if your in the right place at the right time, but they don't hang around !

12. Grieve

Grieve Well-Known Member

Not quite true though.. The R10 is 3.1kg and the HW100k is 3.1kg so neither are lighter than each other.

The HW100 also has 2 x 14 shot mags that are one piece construction, rather than the single, fiddly, plastic 10 shot mag that the R10 comes with. Then there's the cocking arm on the HW100 which is a lot smoother than that of the R10. Also the fact it's not possible to double load the weihrauch.

both guns have their positives, but the R10 is far from "better that the hw100 any day".

i used my hw100 back to back with my mates R10 yesterday and the weight was the same. I must admit the R10 looks a lot better, but the cocking just wasn't as smooth and didn't feel as good and loading pellets was more of a job and When a bipod is fitted to the R10 you then can't fill the cylinder either - that's just a pure lack of thought on BSA's part.

both guns are great, and taking areas of both and putting them together would make one hell of a gun, but I think the OP needs to have a feel of both before discarding one or the other after reading someone's comments on here.

13. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Lol the 100 owners cant help biting can they lol ....the cocking arm is better cant double load etc makes me laugh every time lol lol ..atb mate glad your happy with your 100

14. milek

milek Honorary Member

Best advice is often missed when choosing a rifle but trying them in the store or on the range IS the best advice there is. I have tried almost every mainstream PCP over the last few years and there are only a few I wouldn't recommend. I did purchase one recently based purely on feedback from forums and it has turned out to be not the rifle for me yet it is very accurate and quite expensive. I know that the two R-10's I had were everything I wanted from a rifle but foolishly I kept chasing something that would make me a better shooter forgetting that I have to do my part in the bargain. All the rifles mentioned so far will do the job so find one that feels right and you are half-way there.

15. ppp27

ppp27 Engaging Member

If you already have an ultra then why buy a hw100 with a similar shot count for about 300 quid more lol

Yes I have had both you are considering
    And still have 2 r10s as I don't like the side cocker lol
    But that's just my opinion

Paul

16. lurchermann

lurchermann Busy Member

Look at mk4 daystate i have non screen n thay great.best you can get.:thumbup:

17. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I notice that nobody has commented on going down the .22 route rather than .177, But there again once you have used the HW100 in .177, there is very little more to say. Ford focus or BMW M5. The German lady will always take the votes, car or gun. KB1

18. spooks1982

spooks1982 Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts...

I bought my R10 Mk2 VC two weeks ago after entering the airgun game again after a 6 year break from an Air Arms S410. So far I've put about a tin of pellets through it. Issues I've encountered so far are:-

1) Low on power. I'm getting between 10 and 10.8 ft/lbs with JSB Exacts, average is about 10.4 ft/lbs. For me this is unacceptable for a 12ft/lbs rifle
    2) Magazines are prone to jamming
    3) The regulator is not good, the variance between shot power in the sweet spot can be up to a 0.5ft/lbs difference. My old air arms shot pretty much exactly the same every time in the sweet spot.
    4) Accuracy is definitely not in the same league as the air arms in my opinion. I could get single pellet groupings easily without much effort at 35 yards with my 410, with this in able to hit the bull most shots but really it's not up to the AA standards. I found fliers are a fairly common occurrence as well.

When I get a moment I will be taking it back to the shop and trading it in for something else. I wouldn't go as far as to say they are crap, but I couldn't recommend one. I don't think it's an isolated incident either, most of the lads at my gun club are getting in the 10.x ft'lbs region and have reported magazines jamming. I was considering getting the gun tuned but not sure if it's worth it? I've heard Jon Bowkett's name mentioned around here as the guy to go to. Is he able to sort the above issues out?

Cheers.

19. milek

milek Honorary Member

Have you tried a selection of different pellets? i imagine many of the issues you have reported could be resolved with a good choice of pellet that suits the barrel. Hope you get it sorted.

20. spooks1982

spooks1982 Well-Known Member

Hi Milek, I've tried RWS Superdomes (don't actually even feed properly most of the time). I was getting about 10.1ft/lbs with them. I've also tried Air Arms Diabolo's, getting about the same as the exacts (10.2 - 10.5) and Bisley Magnums (I didn't bother dyno'ing them since the accuracy was even worse). What can I say really? I knew I was taking a risk with BSA and my suspicions have turned out to be right unfortunately. Pants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.