1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA meteor

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jimthebrewer, May 9, 2014.

1. Jimthebrewer

Jimthebrewer Engaging Member

Hi all wondered if you could help me identify what model this is before I buy it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all the pics I have. Seller says it's a mk7.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The Mk7 is basically a nasty rebadged Gamo; thankfully it's not one of those. I'd guess perhaps a Mk3 or Mk4.. if you can get the serial we can tell you for certain ;)

3. buffalo

buffalo Well-Known Member

Agreed definately not a nasty spanish mk7

4. bigbadbear

bigbadbear Donator

looking at the cocking slot i would say mk4/mk5 as it is only short cocking slot meaning it has the articulated cocking link fitted.
    mk1-3 all have 1 piece link bars which require a much longer cocking slot. certainly isn't a mk7.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  5. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Defo a Brit meteor looks in decent condition too

6. Jimthebrewer

So subject to visual inspection, worth £40?

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I'd say so.. the going rate for Meteors seems to be around £60, from the pics it looks in decent nick so I'd say it's certainly worth £40, providing it operates properly, the breech jaws aren't splayed apart etc :)

8. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

It looks like it's been refurbed, or at least had a new paint job. The lettering (in photo #3) would have originally been finished in gold paint. That's not a bad thing to be honest 'cos it'll save you the trouble of doing it. If it cocks & shoots smoothly it's well worth the £40 you quote as the asking price.
    Good luck with it & keep us informed as to how it shoots.
    bhodge.

9. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

It would be worth £40 all day long mate even in a "needs attention" condition

10. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

North Bristol, South Gloucestershire (Thornbury)
    Have to say it's a lot nicer than a gamo

My meteor mk7 is a lovely bit of kit. Kicks a little but that's part of the charm.

The one in the o/p's pic is a mk4 I think but deffo not a mk7

11. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

It's not a full power rifle, probably between 6-8ftlbs as the earlier meteors where meant for kids. The mk7 is the only full size full power adult meteor to be made

12. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

What are the Spanish meteors like are they better built ?

13. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

I had a few issues with the screws that hold the action to the stock, one fell out without me seeing and then ended up damaging the remaining screw. Had to repair that. But only because I didn't spot it in time.

But it's a lot bigger than the older meteors. And is full power

14. Jimthebrewer

Here we are, Mk 5 I believe

[​IMG]

Needs a bit of TLC, will replace all seals ect, needs new front and rear sight. Biggest problems are a bit of movement side to side on the barrel and seems to be a bit of a loud clunk when it's cocked. Will use this as my first project rifle. Going to sand the stock down and oil it and generally get it back to how it was 20 years ago and use it at the range at Pete's.

No major problems with it though and doesn't look as though it's been used that much as there is hardly any wear on the barrel catch. Like the idea of the crown protector that bsa put on these.

15. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yep mk5 good for a project post the progress on here I've done loads and will be pleased to help as well as others here.

16. Jimthebrewer

Amazing what you can do in a day. Gun stripped completely. Hardly and wear inside so just new seals needed. Everything cleaned up, just needs some light sanding with emery cloth.

Started on the stock and made good progress.

Standing in the shed and all I can here apart from the wind is loads of baby rats squealing away....must get myself a terrier to chuck under the floor.

[​IMG]

17. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

That's a nice piece of wood you've got there, it should look impressive when it's all done!
    A Meteor main spring should measure 240mm when new, yours looks fairly straight so if it's still around 240mm then I'd tend to give a clean etc, then put it back in!
    Keep posting updates, there's a few of us on the forum who've got a softspot for the old Meteor...

18. Jimthebrewer

I'll be honest I saw it a thought it was a steal so jumped on it. I'm not overly impressed with the quality of my Ultra SE, it's accurate as you like, does what I want it to but the finish is rubbish and I'm getting a lot of rust on the metal work where the blueing is coming off. I got it new in October and although I shoot most days I really expected better. You can see that the quality of the guns just 25 years ago was far superior but I wanted to buy British.

19. Jimthebrewer

Seeing as a new front and rear sight is going to cost as much as a descent scope I'm looking for an alternative and so was thinking about fitting diopter sights. Is this doable?

20. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

You would still require a front sight...
    As its a project gun "the decision is yours" Jim, so it all depends on which way you want to go with it?