1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA meteor help

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Spud719, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Spud719

Spud719 Engaging Member

Hi guys how's things? Just a quick one

Just bought a BSA meteor for £25 off a friend, fires well with little recoil and it's a tad rough around the edges as expected, the only problem is I have to put my finger behind the trigger when I cock it or it won't cock at all.

Why is this problem occurring and how do I fix it? I'm thinking it's just a problem with a pin or something?

Thanks in advance :)

2. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Sounds like the trigger spring may have broken...it's a fairly straightforward job to replace. Remove the stock, then remove the two pins in the trigger frame. You can then 'carefully' pull the trigger parts out for inspection. The trigger spring looks a bit like an 'opened out paperclip'. If it's snapped then change it...if it's not then give the trigger parts a clean & degrease.
    Let us know how you get on.
    bhodge.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  3. Spud719

Spud719 Engaging Member

Cheers mate :) I'm taking it all appart and replacing the seals n things anyway as I want a solid rifle even though it's just going to be a plinker

4. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Let us know how you get on

5. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

You'll find stripping & rebuilding an old Meteor is very therapeutic...and so enjoyable that you'll probably want to do another one before long!

6. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

7. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Was given a meteor a while ago. The cocking arm was shot at and had been used like that for some time. I replaced with a new one and it worked fine but it used to clack when I cocked it. Found out the new cocking arm was following the old ones groove made in the inner stock. I filled the void and it worked fine after that. I am not saying that is whats wrong with yours but if the cocking arm is dipping it may not be engaging with the trigger properly.
    Lee.

8. Spud719

Spud719 Engaging Member

I'll buy a new cocking arm too or just make one as I'm a steel worker :) by cocking arm you mean the bar that goes from the barrel to the piston when you pull the barrel down?

[​IMG]

This? ^

9. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

If you're going to get a new cocking arm then it would be worth getting a new retaining pin for it...the temporary job that someone's done on the current one will eventually wear away the inside of the stock. By the way there's also a spacer that goes on the pin between the two short links at the front of the arm....you need one of them too!

10. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Yes it is the arm that connects the barrel to the piston.
    Lee.

11. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Does anyone know if the trigger unit is the same on a Mk7 as those on earlier models? My Mk7 trigger is quite stiff and I think it needs dismantling and easing the operation. The leaflet accompanying the rifle shows adjustment screws that are not apparent on mine and BSA have failed to answer my queries or get back to me despite phone calls and emails.
    Despite the tight trigger I am getting some good results/groupings at up to 25yds but would like a much smoother trigger.
    I realise everyone seems to say these are Gamos and not real BSA's but it was my first rifle bought last year and I want to hang on to it for my grandchildren to use as the TX200HC is far too heavy for them.
    Dag

12. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I doubt very much that they are the same trigger unit. I am of the opinion too that they are not real meteors as they are (mk6 and 7) both made in Spain as you know and bear little resemblance to the old models. I'm not saying they a aren't as good I've never tried one and original meteors although I have a soft spot for then were never the best gun going.

13. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Here, here....couldnt have put it better myself.
    Mk6 & 7 are totally different animals.

14. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

From the Mk6 onward all the triggers look like pure Gamo, https://www.gunspares.co.uk/categories/24305/Meteor/
    & I know there was a QC problem with barrels for a period maybe 2008/9? - it seems like getting a decent BSA is a matter of buying secondhand or a bit of a lottery if you buy a new one.

15. Spud719

Spud719 Engaging Member

Got another quick question, which is the best spring to go with for a meteor?

The Titan xs or the Ox main spring?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Don't bother with either of them. They will both overspring the gun causing excessive recoil and excessive wear on the gun, cocking will be harder and you will most probably find less power. Those springs are made not for one specific gun but a number of guns and need to be fine tuned by cutting off a number of coils to suit.

Do yourself and the gun a favour and fit a standard spring from knibbs as these are the ones designed for the meteor.

The meteor is really a dainty little gun and those springs should only be used in bigger guns that can take the extra power of those springs and even then they need to be cut to suit the gun.

17. Spud719

Spud719 Engaging Member

Ah right it thought they were made for the meteor cheers for the advice :)

18. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

The older Meteor's are designed as a sub 10ftlb's gun, that's generally why they have such good manners - light weight & recoil leading to improved accuracy.

When I was younger one of my mates put a Ox spring in, pre chrono days it wasn't more powerful that I could see, it definitely wasn't accurate & sounded like a car crash everytime he pulled the trigger. I tried one myself in an Airsporter being brainwashed by the hype in their adverts, & found the same - plus when I took it out after a week the square section wire had chewed up the inside of the piston & there was swarf everywhere. Some people like them though & have had good results, but probably not in a Meteor...

Titan springs are excellent & I use a few but they are supplied over long & need to be shortened, you have to cut off the surplus, collapse a coil & refinish the end - & pay 18 quid for the privilege, I'd just get a bog standard spring & fit that.

Over the years it's done alright despite the lower power, as millions of dead rabbits, rats & pigeons can testify.

19. RED1 TOM

RED1 TOM Well-Known Member

I have refurbed 3 meteors, in the last 12 month and all had part of the trigger spring broken all 3 fired though, so must be a very common fault!
    Best of luck with the refurb mate, post some pictures!!!

20. Spud719

Spud719 Engaging Member

Ah right so if I just change everything for new and service it once a year all will be good?

Also please can someone tell me what model meteor mine is?