1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice BSA Meteor barrel won't break

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dughall, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dughall

dughall Active Member

I recently retrieved my BSA MK3 Meteor from my dad's house, and found that the barrel will not now break fully.

I can easily open it as far as exposing the breech, but no further.

It probably hasn't been fired for 5 or 6 years.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong, and what I could do to free it?

Please bear in mind that I don't have much technical airgun jargon!

Many thanks!

2. Lee327thGir

Lee327thGir Donator

Sounds a little like your Piston may have siezed in the air cylinder..

I'd try removing the stock.. Get your self a tin of WD40.. turn the removed action upside down, so that the trigger points upwards, then give spay a liberal amount of WD into the long slot infront of the trigger assembly..

Or..

If you have enough WD.. just dunk the whole thing into a tub and let it swim for a week..

DON'T try to force the action open by swinging on the barrel, until it resembles a coathanger..!!

Good luck :O)

Regards.
    Lee.

3. Pavarotti

Pavarotti Engaging Member

I am sure you will have plenty of replies as to why it is stuck but the simplest answer is to take it apart and have a look.

Clearly it will be a bit daunting if you are not technically minded but as long as you take sensible precautions especially where springs are involved you will be fine. The Meteor is a very easy gun to work on. Also you can expect plenty of help and advice on the forum along with a mass of photos etc showing what to do.

The other important point is that BSA made millions of them and replacement parts are very easy to come by. Read material on the forum and give it a go. If you get stuck just ask and we will happily give you pointers in the right direction. There may also be videos on what to do and hopefully members will direct you to them.

Give it a go but be warned. Taking airguns apart to fix them is extremely addictive

Pav

4. dughall

dughall Active Member

Lee and Pav - thank you for replying so quickly and for being very clear and helpful!

I'll try the WD40 option first, but I will probably end up dismantling since I am a tinkerer!

I'll probably be back to bother people for advice for parts replacement etc very soon...

Thanks again

Dougie

5. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

Well if you are going to take it apart please read one of the many threads on how to strip an air rifle, in particular the bit about needing a method of containing the mainspring. We wouldn't want to read about you needing to adapt to shooting with one eye because you've got one of BSA's finest in the other.

6. Lee327thGir

Lee327thGir Donator

[​IMG]

Hope this will help you tinker :O)

Regards.
    Lee.

7. dughall

dughall Active Member

Tazz - thanks for flagging this up. Did a bit of rooting about and from what I can see the spring on the meteor shouldn't travel too much once released, so I'm hoping that the leather mit we use for the stove plus a vice should be adequate. I'm still going to do a bit more research before tackling...

8. dughall

dughall Active Member

Lee - this is fantastic - you're a star!

9. Pavarotti

I'm sure you have worked it out that you must remove the pin (DP006 on the drawing) before the spring can come out. However in order to do that you must take some of the pressure off DP006 before you can remove it. You need to get or make up a slotted piece of wood eg a piece of broom handle, push it down the tube against the spring guide SG06.

With pressure of the spring taken off DP006 you should be able to slide it out then gently release the spring up. Best check out photos and threads for this.
    Having three hand helps considerably. As always keep your face well away from the end of the tube in case the spring make a bolt for freedom. Your glove idea is good and you may want to drap a heavy blanket over the gun to absorb any energy if the spring goes wild. Remember safety first.

Good luck. keep us posted.

10. thisisdonald

thisisdonald Engaging Member

Take pictures of each stage before you disassemble them.. nothing worse than trying to put a trigger back together using an exploded diagram!

11. dughall

dughall Active Member

I was wondering how to release the pressure on the spring but that's a great idea. Thank you!

12. dughall

dughall Active Member

Good idea! Thank you!

13. Lee327thGir

Lee327thGir Donator

:O)

14. Pavarotti

Er... What about me :0(

15. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

I'm intrigued, and Ill be following this thread with interest. I've done quite a bit on Meteor's, and I've got to admit that Lee could well be right about the piston being seized inside the cylinder.
    As has also been said "Meteor's are easy to work on", the mainspring is about the only thing to be wary of...make sure you control the spring release safely.
    Keep us up to date with your findings Dug.
    PS - I love your part of the country.

16. dughall

dughall Active Member

Thanks for that advice, Pavarotti! I have a large piece of dowel which should do the job, and I like the blanket idea. The third hand will come from the other half ... not that she knows it yet!

17. dughall

dughall Active Member

It's a gorgeous part of the country to live in :) - but it was an even more gorgeous girl that brought me here!

I'll keep eveyone posted - tomorrow night and Saturday morning is zero hour!

Thanks everyone for being incredibly helpful and friendly!

Dougie

18. Pavarotti

Hi.

Bhodge has jogged my memory. All three cells. The first Meteor I worked on appeared to have a broken trigger but the real problem was that the piston head had detached itself from the piston and was stuck fast in the cylinder.

I tried heat, WD 40 I even tried catching the head with some string and pulling it out. Eventually a highly experience qualified engineer released it using using BF.

Brute force . He slammed the cylinder down repeatedly on a resilient wooden surface which dislodged it.

Hopefully this is not your problem and once your spring has been removed (safely) you may be able to slide the piston out without too much trouble.

Good luck to you on Saturday and to Italy in the rugby.

19. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Positive thinking, thats whats needed! That piston will come out..!!

20. dughall

dughall Active Member

Hi folks

Apologies for not replying sooner. The initial WD40 soak did nothing, and then work and life took over!

I've taken the spring out, removed the trigger but still no joy - the piston won't shift.

Here's the situation, and it is looking like a problem that Pavarotti flagged up:

(Apologies for lack of exacting terminology)

There is a bit of back and forth "play" in the piston itself - about 2mm tops - and this is pretty free. It also seems to rotate fairly freely withing the tube.
    However, looking through the hole where the gas is driven into the barrel, the piston head is not moving at all.
    I've tried what Pav tried - a bit of string and bashing it on logs in the woodpile, but no joy. I've also tried tapping a bit of slim metal through the gas hole (whatever you call it), but it's stuck fast (in fact the metal was starting to bend rather than the piston giving way).

I'm assuming that the piston head has jammed, and the 1 or 2 mm play is at the point where the piston head and the piston itself join. HOWEVER ... listening to the "click" as I move the piston back and forth, I'd swear that it is bashing against something further back on the gun. But I am willing to put this down to misinterpretation.

It's currently sitting vertically in the woodpile with a load of WD40 squeezed through the gas hole.

In the meantime ... any ideas?

Many thanks guys!