1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA "Maxi-grip" 'scope rail: Worst idea in the world ever.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Discuss.. ;)

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

The maxi was on my lightning, never understood the sizing really, it was also a barstewrd to remove to get in for a bit of fettling.

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Long time poster

This + one. A right bar steward.

4. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Not being a Lightning owner but why do you have to remove the scope rail to get the innards out,just curious, but would like to know,if you can enlighten me, thanks

5. Bridson

Bridson Active Member

Does it really need it on? I took mine off to use it to raise the scope on my other gun so I didn't have to buy taller mounts lol

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Interesting topic as I've got one on the Superstar I've just bought. I presume from the name that the purpose was to give the scope mounts more grip, though my supersport had rails that look like nothing could grip them, but it's never been an issue. Is there a set of regular rails under the maxi one?

7. OLD GIT61

OLD GIT61 if no spring it wont do a thing

It is a time consuming job to find the right scope mounts for the maxigrip rail ,but you can get them . And cost 3 times more than normal mounts. My pick was a set of BKL mounts . And only 8 week ago i purchased another Superstar in .22 And a new scope to go on it it was a Panorama. I did purchase an all in one mount from another shop while i was waiting that were made for the maxirail , but it had adjustment that i could not get used to, so sold them on. This was while i was waiting for the bkl mounts i had orderd to come , this was at the same time i had purchased the gum 8 weeks back.In the end i contacted DEBEN and a set came in 2 days.

8. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

The newer bsa's maxi rails are removable and reveal normal dovetails.

However the older ones are a pain to get mounts for and to remove are tricky,any tips would be great!

You can remove the spring and spring guide without removing the rail but if you want to get the rest of the guns guts out you have to remove the rail as the lugs prevent anything else coming out.

I dont like the rail due to the 14mmsize and its akward design,but i can live with it.

Gaz

9. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

How olds your rifle? I bet its a newer one that the maxi rail clamps onto normal dovetails unlike the older ones

Gaz

10. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Whats your thoughts mate?

Gaz

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

It's not very scientific but I use a block of wood and a hammer.

12. tommy gun

tommy gun Posting Addict

What i have is a bsa supersport with a lightning barrel and silencer on problem solved.

13. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Thats what ive heard also mate but did you need to compress the rail against the action to remove it or is that just to re fit it?

Gaz

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That was just to refit - a few good thumps and it comes off.

15. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Cheers jr now wheres my hammer!:)

Gaz

16. cloverleaf

Yes, the older (non-Gamo designed) BSA rifles all require the Maxi-grip rail to be detached before the piston can be removed.

Yeah, I think the idea was potentially to give more clamping area to reduce the risk of the 'scope to move backwards under the very sharp recoil of some of their models. On older (BSA designed) rifles the rail attaches to holes in the top of the receiver so there are no rails beneath it. There are are on the later (rebadged Gamo) rifles; although we all know that these rifles are to be avoided at all costs :p

Good work - for future reference Sportsmatch / Bisley do a range of two-piece mounts to fit wider BSA rails ;)

Yup; tools of appropriate precision for working on BSAs :p

I hate the bloody things.. This post was inspired by having spent maybe half an hour knocking seven shades of shoite out of a Superstar with a range of increasingly "serious" tooling in order to access the piston for a clean, seal change and relube. A hammer and wooden block wouldn't touch the rail, so I ended up having to use an Aluminium alternative instead (marking the rail and rifle in places; although it was a sh*tter to begin with so I won't be losing any sleep).

IMO the Superstar was perhaps BSA's best and most competent post-war springer; completely spoiled by this horrible lash-up IMO. At best the rail is of arguable benefit, yet its poorly-thought-out and makes access to the piston difficult and time consuming; worst of all it risks damage to the rifle every time the rail is removed and refitted.

In the time it took me to strip the Superstar, remove and clean the piston, replace the seal, relube, refit and reassemble the rifle I could have done the same job on a TX200 or HW77 maybe three or four times. The latter guns would have suffered far less risk of damage to them during the procedure; since at no time would the process have involved smacking the granny out of them with a big hammer :rolleyes:

17. mrtho

mrtho Busy Member

Worst idea in the world, totally useless and just a nuisance when dismantling BSA's fitted with it!

18. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Mounts are no issue at all. Nikko platinum ones work perfectly and being vertically split self-centre on any size rail. At under a tenner a set they're cheap too.
    [​IMG]

19. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Mmmm.. I've had to resort to a hammer on many HW's to get them bloody trigger blocks moving.

20. cloverleaf

Aye, but there's a difference between giving something a bit of a tap to free off dried grease / a bit of a tight component fit, then there's knocking seven bells out of it with a big hammer :p