1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bsa Martini International Mk2 Vintage Target Rifle

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by DrGunn, Nov 4, 2019.

1. DrGunn

DrGunn Engaging Member

When I first joined a rifle club the spare gun they had in the back of the cupboard for beginners was an old and battered BSA martini. It really enjoyed shooting it so when I finally got an FAC I had to get one. They are somewhat out of fashion these days so I was able to get a really solid and accurate rifle for a bargain price.

Mine is a pre 1960 vintage BSA Martini international MK2, complete with original hand stop, Parker Hale PH25B sights fitted with a Parker Hale adjustable iris and filter wheel and a set of foresight elements in the brass container under the grip. The original varnish on the stock was vary yellow and scruffy so the wood has been stripped and re-finished with oil.

6955EB18-6FE1-4086-9A98-CD2FA503960A.jpeg 7A531778-2E27-4BA9-BE14-A0ECB02229C6.jpeg 6FE51DF3-C61B-4C88-804A-5D3EBEC8746E.jpeg 2E19D7EB-FFF9-4033-B7F2-544D531600CA.jpeg

I wanted to try a bit of bench rest with it but it doesn’t have a modern scope rail. Fortunately I was able to get hold of a 1970s vintage target scope which mounts on the two blocks on the barrel. The scope is a Tasco 705 6-18x40. It is very long compared to modern scopes and doesn’t have internal zero adjustment - instead the whole scope tube is moved. In spite of its age, the optics are very clear and the combination is extremely accurate.

DF2F5DB1-A266-40FE-AADE-2D3E6A233000.jpeg 22323A86-EC6D-4AE2-A518-4AA1E946253B.jpeg F3B4BD54-E587-44EA-900B-93B01930098F.jpeg

2. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Very Active

A very nice example that, we have loads of the rusty of cricket bat/scaffold looking ones at the club! a chopsaw would work very nicely on them!

The Robin and DrGunn like this.
  3. DrGunn

DrGunn Engaging Member

That would be sacrilege!
    I read a story about someone in the US who had a crate load they didn't know what to do with so they used the barrels as rebar in their driveway!

When I first turned up at the club with mine I got a few funny looks but after having a go everyone wanted one. I thin there now at least 4 members with BSA internationals and probably more again with the lighter models like the 12/15 (I have one of these as well).
    Let me know if your club wants to get rid of their old ones - I know people looking for them.

4. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Very Active

Back in the 90's I had one completely re-built as a rabbit gun, barrel chopped to 12.5" stock reshaped and refinished completely, one of the best pieces of walnut I have ever seen, integral moderator made from a section of the barrel, proper scope rail added, they are amazingly quiet and deadly accurate.

I sold it to Bruce Potts who sold it to Bruce Lindsay, wonder where it is now.

DrGunn likes this.
  5. JoeHeugh

JoeHeugh Beware the Springer

That takes me back a bit, I learned to shoot prone with one of those and back then much preferred the lever action to the bolt on an Anschutz. Mind you it was one of the posh guns and if you couldn't score 90+ with a rickety pre war (and that would be Great War) Martini Henry then they wouldn't let you shoot it. I'd love one like yours but I think it would be a pig for hunting, I wonder how much it weighs and whether you have a sling and cuff for it?

Ironically being a hunter I much prefer the idea of a bolt action Anschutz these days... and may be I'll get one, one day, after all it's only day 100 of my FAC app today :(

DrGunn likes this.
  6. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

From Hartlepool, now in, Leigh-on-Sea Essex
    Very nice indeed,

It’s looking really good, a lovely gun.

Regards.
    Les.

DrGunn likes this.
  7. DrGunn

DrGunn Engaging Member

I've seen a couple of cut down ones, they look good but I couldn't bring myself to do anything to mine.

I have a target shooting jacket, glove and sling but don't shoot prone often and am very out of practice.
    I think it weights a bit over 14 lb - not something I would want to carry around a field for any length of time. I have a BSA Martini 12/15 as well and it has been drilled for a scope rail. Its less than 10 lb but is still by no means light. I think one of these cut down to a sensible length and screw cut for a moderator could be a nice hunting gun.

8. scoie

scoie Engaging Member

i really like that and with the vintage scope , superb. Brings back great memories , many years ago i was an armourer with access to all things bangy , big to small and we had a rack full of these used for Air Cadets iirc. often used to take things down to the range to have a play and often used these , very accurate and great fun

kind rgds
    craig

DrGunn likes this.
  9. Bunny-on-Bunny

Bunny-on-Bunny Engaging Member

Well I'll be diddled...
    I was chatting with a friend and trying to describe this gun just a few nights ago.
    Can't say what I think but I Really didn't get on with the one I shot, totally counter intuitive having to Grip to keep the chamber closed, cramping hand trying to feel the staging, lever going fakking cold to greasy warm.
    Trigger was sublime when I managed to get the ruddy thing to fire and not spit rounds out the chamber.
    Am fair certain I scored my lowest card as an adult with that gun and my highest with an Anny bolt action that night.
    Weird how shooting works eh?

DrGunn likes this.
  10. DrGunn

DrGunn Engaging Member

I think my first introduction to a BSA Martini may have been in the Air Cadets. I think it was a model 12/15 though, the international model would be a bit heavy for a scrawny 14 year old.

They are a bit different and not everyone likes them. You shouldn’t have to grip to keep the chamber closed though - it’s meant to lock up with an over centre cam. The triggers are superb on these thoughts.

11. Wofty

Wofty Cleverer than the average bear Booboo!

Gorgeous gun.
    And that is the coolest scope I've ever seen!

Bunny-on-Bunny, DrGunn and Blue BSA like this.
  12. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

That is awesome - love the scope too... :up::up::up:

DrGunn and Blue BSA like this.
  13. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Posting Addict

Still out shoot kit today worth over £1000 with the right trigger puller.

Magnificent example.

rabbitwrecker and DrGunn like this.
  14. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Posting Addict

My thought too.

15. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

Great looking gun and scope DrGunn:thumb:, yes you know how to buy them.

DrGunn likes this.
  16. JamieB57

JamieB57 Engaging Member

The first rifle I used back in 1972 at Beccles Rifle Club,had an old canvas sling,but they were so accurate.I know a top prone shooter that can score almost as well with the martini as with a very expensive Anschutz.

EastmidsHD, rabbitwrecker and DrGunn like this.
  17. DrGunn

DrGunn Engaging Member

I’ve tried a few Anschutz bolt Action match rifles and they are fantastic guns but somehow this has more character and I find it more fun to shoot. I was very happy when I found that scope to go with it, I’ve seen them fitted with modern scopes but they don’t look right.

18. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

I do have a long-standing love for single shot rifles... :thumb:

highwall03.JPG

The Robin, oedbachgen and DrGunn like this.
  19. EastmidsHD

EastmidsHD Keep pullin' that trigger..

I shot one of these at my club, bloody accurate for an old bird :thumb:

rabbitwrecker and DrGunn like this.
  20. DrGunn

DrGunn Engaging Member

That’s lovely, what is it? I like the case hardened finish and tang sight.

Not not lost much in the last 60 years.

rabbitwrecker likes this.