1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bsa Hornet - Filling Issue

Discussion in 'Technical' started by UrbanYeti, Mar 25, 2020.

1. UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti Member

I have a BSA Hornet that has been sat out of use for (quite possibly) a few years.
    Dusted her off today and I'm having issues filling her up.

I have a bottle of diving 'breathing air' hooked up, via the bottles gauge and cable, to a BSA filling probe.
    The filling probe looks in good shape, as I don't think it was ever used more than 2-3 times.

When i begin to slowly release the gas from the bottle, it is audibly hissing out from near the back of the probe/cable.

I've been reading forum posts about this kind of thing and saw suggestions to keep the rifle cocked whilst charging.
    It had a meaty sounding dry-fire after charging, and I felt resistance when re-cocking, but no cigar when shooting a pellet.
    It just slides half way down the barrel.

Any ideas on common failure points?

2. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

Can you put up a picture of where the air is "hissing"? If it's from around the probe area then either the probe is not sealed to the whip or the seals are knackered on the probe.

Have you just put the probe on the whip? Did you use a dowty washer?

From what you have described it is not the gun, although once you get air into it it may well have leaks as well, rubber and time are not good mates.

UrbanYeti likes this.
  3. g1nga

g1nga Well-Known Member

and that's how you get a 3rd child :facepalm: :)

:focus:

Howlin Wolf, UrbanYeti and sagalout like this.
  4. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

I nearly wrote that with my OP but I thought I would leave it so some other childish mind like mine could have the pleasure :D

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  5. g1nga

g1nga Well-Known Member

I'm glad to fill your low expectations :)

sagalout likes this.
  6. UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti Member

Thank you for the response, just had chance to get images.

The largest force of air can be felt with my hand, on the hose side of the large silver nut.
    It seems to have a smaller amount of air coming out of the probe end of that silver nut.

they are metal on metal cone connections, and so should be fine.
    some metal tarnish but no physical chunks missing.

7. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

Logic suggest the cones aren't sealing. Tighten it up a bot more?

Howlin Wolf and UrbanYeti like this.
  8. UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti Member

I got the adjustable spanners out and it no longer leaks!!
    Thank you!:up:

However, it shows it gets up to a pressure of 150 bar, and doesn't change.

Potentially the bottle is under pressured and unable to charge above that?
    I don't have a seperate valve to test the pressure of the bottle, as the pressure gauge only shows the pressure in the hose.

In addition, it still doesn't fire.

After corona, I may have to take the rifle to a shop or something; and have it charged with equipment known to be working :(

9. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

I will take a wild stab in the dark and say your dive (to distinguish it from the rifle) cylinder is at 150 bar. The normal way to monitor the dive cylinder is to put a blanking plug in the end of the whip instead of the fill probe. One of these kits allows you to instantly change from fill probe to blanking plug and also to change fill probes. The best fittings starter pack is cheaper from here

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  10. UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti Member

Do we think 150bar would be too low to get past the valve on the rifles inlet?
    Is low pressure (150/230 bar) enough to make the rifle leave a pellet in the barrel?

I ask as I'm trying to rule out a fault with the rifle its self.
    + I'm worried that its still failing to function at all, not just an underpowered shot.

Having a useless dive cylinder is preferable over other possibilities :D

11. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

150 bar is ample to fire a pellet. Is there a pellet in the barrel? If there is remove it, With no pellet in the gun, fire it. Does it go BANG?

12. g1nga

g1nga Well-Known Member

What do you mean by doesn't fire? If you put a piece of cloth in front of the barrel does it move when the gun is fired?

13. UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti Member

The first time after a charge attempt, yes, seemingly BANG-ing.
    But now it's kind of just a light click.

14. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

I assume the click is the trigger sears releasing the hammer, can you not hear the hammer strike?

Looking at your pictures I can see it is an MMC, I know very little about them, but I think the front push knob is the indexing action and the rear pull knob is the cocking bolt.

On an Ultra SE you can look in the empty magazine slot and see the hammer position, normally uncocked it will be resting against the firing pin, and cocked there will be a significant gap between the hammer pin and the firing pin.

Can you cock the gun, charge it with air (if the bottle gauge is registering 200 bar or less leave it connected and open) and fire the gun (NO PELLET), cock and fire, cock and fire. What happens? BANG or click, can you see the hammer move?

15. rkr

rkr Posting Addict

It's the regulator. Fix it or ditch it and retune the gun as unregulated. You can also turn the airtube around and install a Huma regulator.

sagalout and Howlin Wolf like this.