1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bsa Airsporter - Sear Wont Engage.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Nick in NZ, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

066A733C-3531-4DEB-B4BF-85EF678C0E96.jpeg I’ve inherited my father in laws Mk6 Airsporter. The piston was pretty much seized, so decided to give it a service using a kit from Chambers. I have reassembled with new spring, piston, etc - but now the sear won’t engage when I’m cocking it. It is as if the part which ‘rocks’ back that the sear engages on is not quite going far enough. If I use my finger I can click the sear in to place. Any suggestions gratefully received :)

2. SlugFest

SlugFest Busy Member

I was going to say it sounds like the sear has already engaged during reassembly and you need to manually unset it before cocking..... but it's also possible the new spring is just a fraction too long and is compressing without allowing full travel?

Nick in NZ likes this.
  3. Ade C

Ade C Busy Member

Most simple starting point is back off the trigger adjustment screw

Nick in NZ and Trampilot like this.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The new spring you put in have checked to see that it's not coil bound before the piston rod engages with the sear and also check to make sure there is sufficient tension on the trigger pressure/tension spring because if it doesn't have sufficient tension on it the sears wont hold.

Nick in NZ and Figgy like this.
  5. ggggr

ggggr Crap old gun tinkerer and wine maker

Firstly--was it cocking before you did it?
    Next--remove the trigger block, mainspring and piston. Then --try pushing the piston rod into the trigger block. If the sear doesnt engage then you need to look at the sear and trigger.
    If it does engage--then it suggests that the piston is not able to come back far enough for the rod to engage in the sear. The chances are it is either colibound or the face of the piston (the cocking slot) has elongated and needs welding up.

Put the piston back in the cylinder but without the mainspring in and replace the trigger block. If you cock the gun and it engages, then it sounds like it is coil bound.
    If it doesnt engage, but you can push the piston back with a rod (Or remove the cocking arm so you can slide the piston back with a rod or screwdriver) and it engages--then that suggests the cocking slot in the piston elongated or maybe the face of the cocking arm worn. Hightly unlikely that the cocking arm is bent.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    This stuff should go in the collectable section i reckon as a few like to see stuff like this.
    Good luck

Nick in NZ likes this.
  6. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

This - the last Mercury I did I had to adjust the trigger because I was using a stronger/newer mainspring.

Nick in NZ likes this.
  7. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

Thank you for all the suggestions I will work through them this weekend and let you know how I get on. By the way, what is ‘coil bound’? Thanks again

8. ggggr

"Coil bound" is when there is too much spring in the gun and the coils all close up to each other with no gaps (so you are then more or less trying to compress a sold piece of metal) ---------------and the piston cannot move back any further.

pjbingham and Nick in NZ like this.
  9. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

A5D95718-F9BD-452A-AC8C-D0552BA4F7EA.jpeg I have removed the spring and the sear now engages when cocked - so possibly is coil bound? This is the difference in spring length - should I shorten the new spring to the length of the old? Many thanks

10. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

11. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

Sign of me getting old. I still think of Airsporters as being the business, rather than collectable. Then I realise it was from 40 years ago when I was younger (a lot) with a BSA Meteor and an Airsporter was a dream gun.

Gat Man likes this.
  12. mrtho

mrtho Engaging Member

The problem may be being caused by the greater width of the flange on the new spring guide plus the width of the top hat flange.

I would suggest reassembling without the top hat and with the original spring guide as both springs have the same number of coils.

If the gun cocks successfully when done then try it with the new spring guide,but without the top hat as a process of elimination.

Nick in NZ likes this.
  13. ggggr

Well at least you have eliminated most of the trigger problems (although it could still be adjustment).
    I know it is a pain doing these things----BUT:rolleyes: Try putting your new mainspring in without the top hat and guide--and then try it. ALSO inspect and take a pic of the piston cockng slot and put it on here.
    If the thing is coilbound, there is a good chance that leaving the top hat and guide out will reslult in the gun cocking---------in which case you then shorten the spring a little bit.
    If the gun does not cock with the top hat and guide left out, that would suggest a worn cocking slot on the piston.

Nick in NZ likes this.
  14. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

That reminds me - I did have to shorten the after market guide I got for the Mercury because it was clashing with the top hat. So yes try that first before shortening anything.

zippy1 and Nick in NZ like this.
  15. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The spring in the kit may not be an OE(original equipment) spring) and may be for example a Titan made spring. Titan springs are not model specific, they are a range of springs made to cover a whole variety of different airguns and the one in your kit is designed to be used in guns other than the Airsporter. Titan springs use a number for each spring in their range and if you look at that number,it may be a No 10 for example, it will say what guns that spring is intended for and for some guns it will be a straightforward replacement but for another gun even thought it's listed for it it may require removing a coil or two and flattening and reshaping the end of the spring where the coil(s) have been removed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Nick in NZ likes this.
  16. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

Argh, it goes from bad to worse ☹️ Before I started working on it the rifle would cock and fire. I have tried combinations as suggested, but even putting in the original spring and will not get the gun to cock now! When the guide moves over the top of the trigger mechanism the mechanism is not moving up to latch on and hold the guide. Even pushing the guide in by hand, the trigger won’t engage. Is the trigger activated to latch on by the movement of the spring guide on a part of the trigger, or is the trigger action spring loaded to latch as the guide moves in to the block? When cocking the lever comes to a ‘hard stop’ as if I’m at the full extent of movement. I’m starting to think something has ‘happened’ to the trigger??

17. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

You can see in this photo that the ‘catch’ has moved over the top of the trigger, but the trigger action has not moved up to engage. 1A2DC4ED-5D1C-40B1-82E2-7F5E8CCCDB57.png

18. mrtho

mrtho Engaging Member

Can you cock the action with your finger ie push the upper sear upwards and get the sears to engage and hold?If you can pulling the trigger will 'fire' the trigger mech which means all is ok at least with the mech.

Nick in NZ likes this.
  19. Nick in NZ

Nick in NZ Member

Yes, I can engage the action by pushing it up with my finger, then it holds and releases with the trigger.

20. mrtho

mrtho Engaging Member

Ok so nothing then is wrong with the trigger mech,but do check when cocked that there is good sear engagement this can be adjusted via a grub screw on the underside of the trigger block just forward of the trigger guard.

The other things to check are the condition of the piston cocking slot where the cocking 'foot' engages and the condition of the piston rod sear.Maybe you could supply pics for evaluation?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Nick in NZ likes this.