1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA Airsporter MkVI

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by edessex, May 29, 2014.

1. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I bought this a few months back to help with some pest control around my livestock.

I very nearly bought an SMK B2, purely because I didn't want to shell out for a pricey rifle just to take out close distance rats. But this old BSA came up cheap.

The bluing has been sanded off, so I'm planning to paint it, I'm thinking matt black as I don't think gloss black will look right.

I decided to take the stock off the other day to check the bolts, as the front kept coming slighty loose.

[​IMG]

I've now replaced the two front bolts, and the nut on the underlever, which kept coming loose. I need a nyloc nut really, but used two usual nuts for now.

I thought the underlever catch spring had snapped, but it had actually slipped. So with that back in place I've now got an underlever that stays up, for once!

I will end up replacing the main spring and seals, but it all seems to work okay, and seems a damn sight more accurate and powerful than my brother's old B4...

2. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

It's always worth getting to know your gun and your doing well in your rebuild :up:

3. Bruno27

Bruno27 Engaging Member

Sweet :)

4. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I've not had a chance to do much with the rifle over the past few months, even shooting it started to become a rarity! However, now it's getting dark earlier, I am now having more chances to use it.

I decided to buy a chronograph a little while ago, as it seemed like the rifle was really lacking in power. I did start a thread on it here:
    http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/187241-Combro-Chronograph

...but I had a few issues with getting readings, however I think I've got the hang of it now.

Apparently these rifles would have been somewhere around 10-12ftlb when new. Mine shows a lack of any real maintenance, so the low figures are of no suprise to me!

Bisley Superfield:
    6.25 / 5.72 / 6.49 / 5.85 / 6.71 = mean 6.28 ftlb (range 0.99 ftlb)

Bisley Premier:
    6.41 / 5.34 / 5.18 / 5.16 / 5.17 = mean 5.45 ftlb (range 1.25 ftlb)

Wasp:
    6.37 / 6.68 / 6.20 / 7.17 / 6.16 = mean 6.52 ftlb (range 1.01 ftlb)

I wondered if the open holes from the screws that used to hold the foresight on made any difference, so I stuck a bit of PVC tape over them, and tried a few more shots (as it started to get dark)...

Bisley Superfield:
    5.63 / 5.75 / 6.76 = mean 6.05 ftlb (range 1.13 ftlb)

Wasp:
    6.92 / 7.61 / 5.88 = mean 6.80 ftlb (range 1.73 ftlb)

The weights for both the Bisley pellets are correct, 15.1 grain if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure what weight the Wasps are, so put them through as the same.

I did get on well with RWS Superdomes previously, but am out at the moment.

I would like to see it around 10/11ftlb, and with less range to the readings.

5. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I've got the kit through now... Hopefully I'll have time at the weekend to start disassembling!

[​IMG]

6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I'll be interested to hear how you get on; later Airsporters have a properly deserved rep for appallingly low muzzle energy.

How is it to cock? If stiff at the beginning of the stroke you'll want to order a replacement ally piston head as the originals are Nylon and swell; causing the piston to bind in the cylinder causing reduced muzzle energy.

I think the general consensus is that you're lucky to get 10ftlb out of a .22; the last one I rebuilt was giving around 9.75ftlb with Superdomes (and a fair bit less with anything else - they certainly seem to like the 'domes). That said I also had a .177 that, no matter what was done to it wouldn't put out any more than 6ftlb.

End of the day it's an old, flawed, inefficient gun and I wouldn't advise chucking a lot of money at it. For the task in hand you might just be better off buying something like a Crosman 2240XL at around £165 :)

7. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

It cost £50 to buy if I remember correctly, and £25 for the rebuild kit.

For £75 I think it's worth a punt... ;)

8. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I think the reason why some airsporters were low on power was, even when refurbished, the piston 'o'ring was easily damaged on reassembly and some probably left the factory from new with damaged 'o'rings.You have to be extremely careful when assembling the gun that you don't damage it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  9. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

Thanks for the heads up there! I'll take extreme care where the O ring is concerned.

10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Back in the late 70s early 80s I owned both an Airsporter 'S' in.177 and a standard Airsporter in .22, both performed perfectly well power and accuracy wise providing you used the right pellet.

11. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I've heard a fair few good reviews about them, and so far I've been quite happy with this one.

It seems to prefer superdomes, Wasps were suggested to me, but seem pretty bad grouping wise. But I'll try a few different ones again once I've done the rebuild.

12. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The original wasps made by Eley performed well in them but the current wasps are not the same quality but did you use the blue tin(5.6mm) or the mauve tin(5.5mm).The blue tin ones may be better, as BSA barrels on their earlier rifles were 5.6mm, but they're still not the same quality as the original wasps.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  13. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I went for the blue tin, as by age the barrel should be a true 0.22", rather than the modern 5.5mm.

But there seems to be a severe lack of consistency!

I did look for other 5.6mm pellets; I think the Bisley ones I'm using are...
    The grouping isn't that bad with them, but the pointed ones seem to strike a lot lower than the domed ones.

14. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The pointed one strike lower perhaps because they might be heavier.H&N Field target trophy might be worth a try as they're a fairly tight fit in a 5.5mm barrel so might go well in the Airsporter.You can get trial packs of pellets from PerfectPellets.

15. timson46

timson46 Active Member

airsporter

Hi there I got an airsporter about six months ago my friend had to rebuild. it was rust top to bottom I put new seals in it. And an ali piston. shoots realy well. Finding rws super h points a good pellet so far

16. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

Cheers Patrick I'll have a look into those trial packs.

Timson46 - did the ali head make a lot of difference? I did consider it, but didn't know what mods, if any, would end up pushing it over the limit. That and didn't want to invest too much money into it at the moment!

17. timson46

timson46 Active Member

piston

It has made a lot of difference I paid £15 for it and £2 for the seal. Takes a bit more punishment aswell.

18. Hamish M Byrne

Hamish M Byrne Newbie

Your friend sounds like he knows what he is doing with restoration, I have a couple of guns he could sort out

19. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Hi

On later Airsporters check the tap for leakage as they're made from parallel bar instead of tapered as in the old ones, Put your hand over the tap when you shoot a pellet and see if you can feel a puff of air on your palm, Some folk put a bit of talc on the breech and look for it being bown uppards!!

The early airsporter tapered taps were hand lapped and were gas tight..

I've heard of people getting their taps chrome or nickel plated to build a bit of thickness up for a better seal :up:

John :)

20. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I got a chance to start stripping the Airsporter down this afternoon, and found a couple of areas of concern.

Hopefully I'll clean and rebuild it tomorrow, but what is best to clean the parts up with?

I was thinking white spirit, other than the plastic piston head.