1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

BSA 10x50-60

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Bemused, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Hi guys, I picked up a BSA 10x50-60 along with an EV2.
    Being a new shooter I know little of this scope, perhaps you could help.

I understand it's known as the Big BSA or BSA 50/60 and is a close relative of the Big Nikko mk1.

I spent some time marking the wheel up and determining clicks starting at 10 yards only to find two hours latter that it did not focus on anything beyond 45 yards. I had a guess that so eone had made a b****r up of re-parallaxing down to 8 yards and on closer inspection found it ran down to 9 yards. So I re-parallaxed to 10 yards and now I have the upper end back. Again be good if you can confirm what I think happened makes sense.

I would also like a bigger side wheel if anyone knows of any that fit, big elevation turret would be nice also. In my ignorance I tend to think all the Big Nikko addons will / may fit. It would be great if someone could confirm.

Looking a fantastic range finder so far, the dpth of field looks to be just a few millimeters at fifty mag.

Regards
    Tony

2. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Cant help with the focus issue but i wouldnt both making it focus below ten yards, is there a scope cap with a small hole drilled in it?
    The BSA 60 platinum is a fantastic scope and is the original was informed it cost BSA to much to make them so Nikko bought rights and the MK1 was born easiest scope i have used to range find, with the BSA and MK1 i recomend a sharks fin sidewheel:cool:

3. Bigant

Bigant Posting Addict

4. Akita177

I preffer the the Barry Taylor shark fin type like the the top right one here, gives you the required gap at the long ranges without having a 150mm ferrus wheel on the side of your scope, AJP also make sharks fins though i wouldnt use one on a MK3 as they range the opposite way around when you turn the wheel.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/neale_marklew/Sales/sale Main.htm

Rather then buy a top turret you can cut some white electrical tape to size on a wood board with a stanley knife, then you can write your distances on the tape with a quality fine tip permentant marker.

5. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks for your help. I have the focus sorted by lifting the bottom from 9 to 10 yards. Pretty sure someone just buggeredit up. Seems fine now although the end ring took some getting off. All my suitable tools failed but with a cold cloth wrapped around the scope body and some hot water on the end ring it just popped off by hand.

Nothing came with it, just a bare scope. Whats with the hole in the end cap?...

Nice to learn a little of it's history and thanks for the sharks fin tip.

6. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Yes seen rowan, unfortunatly. Most of their cattalogue is bolted on my Wolf, I like the kit they make but don't know whot fits the big bsa.

7. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Brilliant link and the site confirms the sharks fin fits.

8. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Interesting Tony, I just bought an EV2 MK4 a couple of days ago, taking it to the range tomorrow with my other guns for s pellet fest.

James

9. Akita177

You could have a word with Jono at AJP to see how much his shark fins are for a MK1/BSA he does alot of work for people on the circuit, probly even get it anodised to match the colour of other bits on your gun.
    http://www.ajpcustomparts.co.uk/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  10. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Be nice to here what you think of the EV, paid £525 for mine as an imulse buy, not really put anything through it as the scope trouble set me back some what. Scope now probably fixed but needs marking up.
    Just had a hour marking and clicking in. Did 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and just started 35 yards when the EV dumped all its air! Oh what fun...

11. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks for another good link. I will have a look at the various wheels in two weeks time when next at the FTC.

12. jesim1

I thought I had been robbed until I read yours dumped it's air,:eek: serves you right you cheapscape:D.

I paid £750, but it's in great condition and working perfectly. Put about 100 pellets through it at the range today as I was taking the Panther and MK4is for a walk, it's difficult to separate them. They are all different, but you would not know which group belonged to which gun, they are all sub 5p size groups at 35yards.

I'm still not into this as much as you, you have really got bitten by the bug.

James

13. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Well you know only to well what a cheapscape I am :)

Looks like its just the fill valve stuck open, may be that I ran it a little low on air and it dumped. In the process I expect it pushed out a bit of debris that is stuck in the valve. Its quite old being a mk1 so maybe a little grotty in the tube.
    Trying to resist the temptation to strip it myself as it has a 3 month warranty by SCR so there is no trouble getting it fixed properly.
    I actually paid £750 for the combo but that included the big BSA which is a stunner of a scope and makes my Sidewinder look sick just as Dave at SCR said it would. He also implied the same about my Wolf but I love the Wolf so I'm having none of that. :)

First shot with the EV was a stunner, I said to my young nephew that it may take me a while to find out where the zero is, I hung a tent peg at 35 yards and bent it with the first shot! The bend was quite high up the peg and it turned out the zero was 40 yards. Flukey shot but one to remember.

14. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Says the man with a Daystate museum... lol
    But yes I have enjoyed my two FTC sessions and possibly have more knock downs in the garden than you have Daystates.
    Shame I'm not a good shot but heyho one day maybe, its fun nevertheless.

When are you going to try Byley? Its off J18 M6 plus about 10 or 15 minutes.

Tony

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  15. jesim1

I'm assuming your a member?

I've got commitments over the next couple of weeks at the weekends, but could possibly do a day mid week if they are open, or a day at the weekend in 3 weeks time?

You just want to impress me with your new found kit and skills:D.

Drop me a PM if you have something in mind, I don't do competitions, but I'm happy to go head to head if you just want a bit of fun.

James

16. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

Just curious why FT allows the use of these hubble like range finding scopes? As they can be used as rang finders, why not simply allow the use of lazer range finders and allow scopes to return to more sensible proportions?

17. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

James, you can shoot Byley as a guest for six quid. Every two weeks on a Sunday the course is set for a non competitive shoot, its a comp course in the main but you can mostly shoot how you wish.
    So it was Sunday just gone.
    15 lanes in a wood, two targets a lane and each shot twice is the norm.
    Its a big course, targets 8 to 60 yards, 15, 25 and 40mm kills. Also some challenging winds and shooting over water, reeds and such like obscure a target from some positions. Some targets high up in trees.

Shortage of facilities though, just a porta cabin dumped in the woods, no latrine but a gas stove and brew gear laid on for free but you have to diy brew. Infact its all diy, you just put your money in a honesty tin and shoot.

Google Byley FTC, its a poor site though.

Be good to meet up sometime.

18. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Pete, I'm just a rank idiot who has shot FT club day twice! So others are far more qualified to comment but IMO range finding with a scope is a little challanging.

50 mag ranges great but you try and find a metal rat high in a branch at 60 yards on that mag...

You have to mark up your ranges and work out your clicks off course. Plentiful manoeuvring room for cockups here. Numerous different methods.

Then on course the actual ranging is not so easy as it seems within your 2 minute time window.
    For me it goes something like

Time zero
    Zoom out, find target, zoom in, start to find a focus, lose target, find target, find focus, read rannge, yes its in between 40 and 45, lookup the clicks for 40 and 45, estimate the bit in between and it's non linear. Set clicks, target now lost, find target again, worry about windage, take the shot, big BANG, yep must remember to load a pellet before pulling the trigger, lose target, find target, take the shot, reset the target if your lucky!
    Usually forget to rest the turret or else turn it the wrong way back to zero and get the clicks totally wrong on the next shot.
    Then repeat for target 2, around this point I get cramps and wobble over, lose the target again, find the target but then realise its target 1 not target 2, ditto, ditto, ditto. And whilst all this is going one there is the banter, friendly advise - the wind is that way, nah its a still wind, nah its the muzzel wind thats the killer not the target wind, nah we have three winds on this one mate, and oh your 2 minutes are up mate!

19. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

I appreciate its not a given, but hubble scopes with huge side wheels are as near to pukka range finders as you can get..Would to see a /few of the FT crowd compete without a side wheel, or even with "shock/ horror" open sights! Of course scores would plummet but it would be interesting to see basic rifle/shooting skills coming more into play..

20. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Pete, last Sunday a guy shot Byley with a springer and small fixed mag scope, he was right behind me and was a joy to watch. Judged evey range by eye and shot hold over or under from experience alone. He mostly cleared the course.

Now if thats how you had to shoot FT I for sure would not be trying to master it, well beyond my capabilities.