1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Hw45!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Claypole, May 17, 2018.

1. Claypole

Claypole Engaging Member

I was cocking my HW45 today, and it went POP! Something in the mechanism obviously failed, and the two cocking levers were no longer located in their slots.

Anybody have any idea what might have failed? It’s not fired more than a couple of thousand pellets, but is more than 25 years old, so I’m thinking maybe a lack of maintenance might have something to do with it.

Does anybody have any recommendations? (I live in Essex). If I was to get it repaired, would it be worth getting it serviced and maybe even tuned at the same time.

2. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Springer Whore

Not sure if Blackmax does pistols (Lives in Braintree if my memory serves me right) but I know Tinbum sorted mine out nicely, but then that was a tune up.

Claypole likes this.
  3. Dag

Dag Big Poster

A few questions:
    Do the cocking arms still have their feet? If not then spare arms are available from Chambers as parts UL155 and UL156.
    If these are intact is the pivot pin at the front of the gun still intact, ie does the top barrel assembly still swivel on that pin ok? I appreciate it is not going to cock or have any spring pressure.
    Do the cocking arms seem to swivel ok on their pin or are they at all disconnected?

I'm trying to think how the cocking arms could move backwards enough to disengage without either the top assembly becoming loose or the arms becoming detached. :shrug:

Jim

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    RickOchet likes this.
  4. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

he lives in rayleigh

5. Claypole

Claypole Engaging Member

The cocking arms do still have their feet, and the pivot pin is intact. The barrel assembly is free moving, although I can't shut it fully due to the displaced pivot arms.

CHESHIRE1966 likes this.
  6. Dag

Dag Big Poster

That's very strange, I'm looking at my 45 trying to work out how they can come out of the slots. Your slots look intact obviously, otherwise you would have noticed any distortion and that would be unlikely to happen to both at the same time.
    if everything else is intact then somehow the feet have moved back about a quarter of an inch to disengage........I wonder if anyone else has any ideas?
    Then again if everything else looks intact have you considered dismantling th gun and re-engaging the feet? There are guides on The Tube as to how to do it and it is well worth attempting if only to give you a good look inside and to lubricate everything properly. There is an excellent guide here:
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weihrauchowners/hw45-strip-down-with-pics-t7401.html
    hth
    Jim

Claypole and RickOchet like this.
  7. RickOchet

RickOchet Dime Bar

I would guess at the feet on the cocking levers being worn.
    Being 25 years old I reckon it has earnt a strip and service and some new parts!
    The guide posted above by Dag is very good.

8. Claypole

Claypole Engaging Member

The arms swivel fine, and looking at it, I can't see any obvious reason as to how they both popped out. Somebody else on the internet apparently had the same issue, repeatedly with an early model like mine.

I have been noticing that cocking, and closing the mechanism hasn't been as smooth as it used to be...

9. Claypole

Claypole Engaging Member

The feet do look as if they have worn. Would they have had grease on them from the factory, and it's all long gone?

10. Dag

Dag Big Poster

At 25 years of age 'long gone' most definitely. That cocking action exerts considerable upwards as well as lateral pressure and I lubricate mine regularly with moly grease forcing it into the slots and around the feet. As Rickochet suggests a stripdown seems long overdue.
    Jim

11. Claypole

Claypole Engaging Member

Only yesterday I was thinking some moly grease around these parts may make it a bit smoother, but my local gun shop didn't have any. I suppose the damage was already by then though...

I was only planning on using the pistol until I got round to buying a rifle. Any money spent on the HW45 is money that could go on the rifle...

12. Dag

Dag Big Poster

To be honest any money spent on it would probably be money well spent. They are well worth putting back in working order.. My only concern is that you may have worn the sides of the cocking slots but a strip-down would enable you to check that. It's a shame you aren't nearer as I would be only too pleased to have a look at it for you.
    Jim

RickOchet likes this.
  13. Claypole

Claypole Engaging Member

Thanks very much!

14. Blackmax

Blackmax Very Active

You're welcome to take a trip to Rayleigh and we'll sort it out. I have a TBT kit in stock.

RickOchet, Claypole and Dag like this.
  15. Claypole

Claypole Engaging Member

I take it you work in a gun shop?

16. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

he works at home, and the work he does is great

Blackmax and Claypole like this.
  17. Blackmax

Blackmax Very Active

I work in my workshop!

Thanks by the way Carl.

18. CHESHIRE1966

CHESHIRE1966 Member

Hi, If you are looking to move to a rifle and would concider selling ur 45 plz let me know. I have 4 old ones i lv em. 1985, 87 ,88 & 92 I find they shoot better.
    So im looking for older parts, not easy to find lol
    Regards
    Rod

Claypole likes this.
  19. trebike0

trebike0 Engaging Member

Meticulous comes to mind ,on any work done .

Claypole likes this.