1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Brocock Aim-X Grand Prix or Atomic

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by arrybash, Mar 17, 2012.

1. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Looking for some more guidance to help me complete my outfit.

I want to buy a pistol, which will be fitted with a long eye relief scope e.g POA, to use for target shooting and plinking in the garden. It will be used by my wife and myself.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Brocock Aim-X Grand prix or Atomic. However I am not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of the longer v's smaller barrel of the 2 models.

I always thought the longer barrel meant more accuracy, but most of the guns shops say not always.

Can somebody point me in the direction of which one I should buy please.

Thanks

Chris

2. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Hi there, the main difference in the two apart from the Grand Prix having a longer barrel are, the Grand Prix is set at about 5.9ftlb the Atomic is about 5.2ftlb. The Grand Prix also has a higher shot count.

My opinion is, although the Grand Prix is a very nice pistol, it is very long, and i found the Atomic much more manageable, but having said that i haven't owned a pistol for a very long time, so this is just my opinion.

I decided to go for the Atomic (Super 6) it's a great pistol and very accurate, and being a 6 shot makes it more fun, i fitted a Hawke Sport Dot to mine (£18) and a silencer because it's a noisy git :D.

Here's mine:

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/air-pistols/123178-my-new-brocock-atomic-super-6-pics.html

If you need any more help, give me a shout [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the guidance. I think you have convinced me to go for the atomic. I was going to get the 6 shot version anyway. Does the small difference in power going to be a issue in the real world i.e is it going to affect the accuracy, or does the compactness of the smaller gun makes it better to handle.

I see you have a case, silencer and red dot sight which makes it a nice outfit. What make of case is it or if no make can you give me the intenal dimensions? What make of silencer? I was going to go for a scope as the dealer advised they are more accurate than red dot sights what do you think and why did you go for the red dot?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris

4. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Hi mate, at the distance these pistols are used at, the difference in power isn't going to be that noticeable, mine's had a few pellets through it now, and is putting out a fairly consistent 5.25ftlb. I get approx 30 shots at this power from a full charge, after about 30 the power starts to drop off.

The accuracy is very good, once i'd set mine up, i was knocking down and resetting targets at 20 yards no problem, and it's my first pistol in a very long time.

I bought the cheap Hawke Sport Dot sight just to see how i get on with it, and i find it pretty good, although for serious target work i suppose a decent pistol scope might be a better option, but i've been getting on fine with the Sport Dot.
    The open sights are very good too, but my eyes aren't what they used to be, so i found the Sport Dot a good option.

The silencer is a Swift, it's similar to a Weihrauch but not as long, there are small stubby silencers available, but i tried a few in the shop and they didn't actually do much apart from look good, they didn't hardly supress the sound at all, so i went for the Swift which is very good.
    Just a note though, the silencer has to be removed every time the pistol is filled, which is a bit irritating so i'm on the look out for a custom fill port that i saw in a pic somewhere, it allows filling with a silencer fitted.

The case is actually a two pistol case, from Case-Gard, i did have a smaller case, but there was no room for the silencer and sight, so i changed it for the bigger version. This is the one is the "809" on this page, i got mine from Woodys Of Wembley but this gives the sizes etc:

http://www.guns.gb.com/contents/en-uk/d341_MTM_Case_Guard_Pistol_Cases.html

There are other makes with similar spec, but i'm happy with the case, there's room for the pistol, sight, moderator and some pellets so it's about right.

Anyway mate, hope this helps, if you need any other help let me know [​IMG]

5. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the ideas. I was going to get a soft slip but what have is clearly much better so i will now go with the hard cse like yours. I work not to far from MacAvoy guns, hence they were on my short list to supply the package anyway.

I was going to get a Whisper 130 silencer, but is the swift silencer better i.e. quieter/shorter/lighter. If it is I may go again with what you have.

Thanks again.

Chris

6. JonRA

JonRA Member

Hi Chris

I would support what Steve says. As long as you don't mind the reduced shot count, the atomic does feel nicer in the hand (to me at any rate - less need to consciously keep the front up).

ATB

Jon

7. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Hi Chris, the Swift silencer is 138mm in length, and it's not heavy mate, i'm not familiar with the Whisper tbh ;)

8. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Hi Jon/Steve,

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay, travelling through Cambodia on holiday, hence getting time to reply immediatley is not always convenient.

The reduced shot count of the Atomic will not be a problem so I will definatley go with it. I notice that Steve's pistol has open sights and is threaded for a silencer. Is this standard or do I need to spec it with both?

I can only find 200mm long Swift silencers on the net, but I notice Steve's is only 138mm long. I don't want a long silencer on such a small pistol which is why I originally opted for the whisper 130, but I am unsure how it will perform.

Can anybody point me in the direction of where to find a 138mm swift silencer?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris

9. Irvysan

Irvysan Posting Addict

Have you considered matt on the forum who can make you one?

HTH

Irv

10. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

Hi mate. I have the Grand Prix. Its only use is close range ratting for me. It has about 70 shot count i think which is good for night fishing and teaching plenty of rats why they shouldnt eat my bait!

To be honest I would have gone for the Atomic, but at the time the first Atomics to come of the production line did not have a threaded barrel to take a silencer. No good for me so went with the longer Grand Prix but have not really had any issues with the extra length. One thing I will add is that they are almost silent with a HW silencer on them!

11. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Hi mate, i looked in the packaging of the Silencer, it's called a "Swift Stubby", i got it from Woodys Of Wembley:

http://www.woodysofwembley.co.uk/

Also with the packaging was a leaflet:

Swift Precision Rifles
    11 Holly Grove
    Bromsgrove
    Worcestershire
    B61 8LH

Tel: 01527 871 620

Mobile: 07739 689 871

Somebody told me that Brocock now own Swift?

Anyway hope this helps mate ;)

12. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info, my dealer should be able to get me one now.

Chris

13. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Might I suggest waiting? There is an interesting new pistol out, will be a full powered 10 shot repeater, internals are based on a rifle (the reverse of an S200), it is an AT P1!

14. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Back from my hols now and after all the advice and guidance I have now taken the plunge and ordered some gear to replace my well used and abused Mk6 airpsorter I bought new many many moons ago!!!!

Ordered the Brocock Atomic 6 with Swift Stumpy silencer, POA 2x20 scope, Brocock slip and spare magazine.

Chris

15. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

I have the new swift silencer on my .22lr. It seems very good so far although not the cheapest!

16. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Ordered my Brocock Atomic 6 back in March and only arrived a couple of weeks ago, then the stumpy silencers were out of stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway my dealer has loaned me a second hand stumpy until the new one arrives. However when fitting the genuine Brocock adapter onto the barrell the adapter thread bottoms on the step in the barrel before the flange on the adapter meets up with the end of the barrel.

The result is a gap of about 4mm. This seems stange to me as if the adapter thread is to long. Is this standard or do I have a mismatch?

Chris