1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Break?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by ferplexed, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

Just wondering if anyone takes a break around this time of year and for how long due to the breeding season and the potential of the does having kits in them?

In all honesty, i've only ever shot in summer months and only recently started ferreting and lamping.

2. williamjames555

williamjames555 Well-Known Member

erm depends on why your hunting if your in control and just keeping the number controled sure let them breed from about now till spring when you see the babys out. but if you dealing with a over populated area with a real problem and have been called in to clear a number then shooting now is ideal as one kill could be equal to 5 or 6 ? see ?

3. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

Get ya!!!!!

It's pure preference then? Great. :) Both my permissions are all over populated so i don't feel as guilty then. We got one the other week that had 6 kits in it - we reckoned we'd reduced the rabbit population by about 50 off the one doe (average of 6 kits per doe) for a period up to Christmas 2013.

1 doe - 6 kits + 6 kits next spring = 12
    Her 6 kits - 6 kits next spring (min.) = 36
    Total = 48 (min. assuming they are all female)

I felt guilty but not now you've put it that way. :):)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

I dont lay off completely as like to get out but do go easy on them, watched 3 young'uns running about less than 30 yards out last time i was out, both me and my mate didnt take a shot, daft bu@@ers running round in big circles jumping and play fighting while two lumucking great hunters stand watching with rifles!
    we got the numbers down quite a bit last year but dont want to cull our selfs out of a shoot!

5. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

That's the other thing. As my Dad always says, "You're killing your own sport!"

6. Ravenhill

Ravenhill Well-Known Member

Im sure a doe can breed up to 4 times a year and each young can them repoduce at the age of 1 month. So you have stoped more than 6...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

7. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

I personally don't stop as most of mine want all vermin gone, my own shoot I control not clear,real bad weather I hit the barns so weather or season i dont stop...Ratz

8. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

Correct. That's why i'm saying MINIMUM of 48 assuming they are all does. I think females can breed from 6 months.

Some interesting reading on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I've been told by a couple of old boys here that you should only take rabbits when there's a "R" in the month (ie, not May, June, July, August) and give them a break through the summer. That said, there are so few around here at the moment that I'm very rarely taking any.

10. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

Hmmmm...they're the months i seem to be most productive with kills. They seem to be more relaxed and less wary. In all honesty, both my permissions are so jam packed with them i think for every one i kill, 3 or 4 others morph from out of the ground to laugh at me next time i'm there.

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I certainly see more bunnies in those months, but I tend to restrict myself to the occasional one for the pot, and usually with the .17hmr from long-ish range.

12. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

I think i'll just carry on as i am. It's not like i'm bagging hundreds at a time. I only usually get 1 or 2 per hour and am only out for a couple+ hours a time.

13. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

yes it doesnt hurt to give them a little respite but the best eating rabbits are taken in these months... young, tender and full of flavour! infact i tend to eat more rabbit when there's an R in the month lol

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Yes, that's definitely when they're tastiest!

15. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

I tend to leave me bunnys alone untill summer, I tend to give me rats a break until I load the next pellet.

16. ANGOF

ANGOF Posting Addict

I stop shooting bunnys on Christmas Eve and will start again June/July. Stopping squizzers and Woodys at the End of Feb to allow for bumper harvests later in the year. Magpies will be lest alone to breed as well. Just the occasional rat and lots of target for me for a while :) Ive got about 5000 acres over 3 ajoining farms and none of them are silly enough to expect one man with an air rifle to clear the land of vermin nor have i been asked to do so, In fact i turn down a fair few silly horse people who want there 3 or 4 acres cleared and give them the number of the local ferret lads.

17. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

5000 acres! would be great to have so much land to shoot your turning some down! though i agree leaving the bunnies or at least cutting them some slack is good for our "sport" i cant agree with you regarding magpies as while your "giving them a break" they'll be decimating the local songbird population. grey squirels are like rats as far as im concerned. i've never seen a red down my way.
    i thought i was lucky with 200 acres, trouble is its all paddocks and pasture rabbits and the odd rat are just about all i ever see would love a bit of woodland or crop for pigeon and squizzers. though saying that i have just been offered chance of another 350 acre shoot near me that i've yet to see.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  18. ANGOF

ANGOF Posting Addict

Whilst 5000 acres may sound like a lot only a small proportion of that land is productive for shooting, theres about 50 acres of woods and maybe 150 acres of fields with any great rabbit numbers. The rest is field after field with nothing worth walking around it for. Yeah sure theres small warrens in the Cornish hedges in some of those fields but with only a dozen or so rabbits living in them i dont bother.
    As for not shooting in the breeding season. I dont hold with the magpies killing songbirds, yeah sure they raid some nests but not enough to make a real difference imo. Theres plenty of songbirds ( too many bloody Blackbirds if you ask me, many a worthy stalk ruined by there alarm calls) and plenty of Corvids so a balance seems to have been reached. Will never see any Red Squirrels down here doubht if there was ever any reds down here. Ive culled the Greys and rarely see one now and if i do its taking off at top speed. I want a good crop of them for the freezer next autumn so left in peace they will be.
    I started Air rifle shooting in the mid to late 80`s and John Darlings writings where my bible. And he says "Sportsmen dont shoot in the breeding season, its time to clean and restore your gear and practice, practice,practice". I know hes laughed at by todays shooting generation but I still shoot by his teachings and always will :)

AN GOF 44 going on 64 :)

19. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

hope im not offending anyone with my post here? i can completely understand angofs reasoning but i do enjoy getting out hunting and tend to go stir crazy if i cant get out! as i've said i do lay off the bunnies through the spring and early summer to be honest i havnt bagged a magpie for years or pigeon or squirrel as there are none really around my permission, see the odd magpie. still like to get out with the rifle and will walk about seeing whats there and taking stock and maybe bag the odd rabbit or two for the pot. later in the summer though when there are hundreds its another story!
    first pic springtime weekly/fortnightly bag..... second pic summer time bag twice or three times a week!

Attached Files:

20. ANGOF

ANGOF Posting Addict

Yeah i agree, i also get stir crazy if not out with the rifle. Last winter me and my boy would get out about once a week and set up various targets for each other on some of the scrubby fields. Mainly "Tarian Marks" hanging on branches etc and a couple of small spinners and knockdowns. Only the one who set the "course" would know where they where and the other would then stalk around said course trying to hit them as soon as they spotted them. Sort of a poor mans HFT i suppose :D. Kept us amused for the winter/spring and improved both our shooting and stalking. We would of course take a look around whilst we where out and sometimes bring back a rabbit or pigeon for the pot. But would avoid the main hotspots of the permission so that come June the aboundance of new rabbits and pigeons wouldnt be so wary and we could get good bags in :)