1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new user seeking advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by lahuretz, Feb 26, 2014.

1. lahuretz

lahuretz Member

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading and any help that may follow. I've just purchased a GAMO Hunter 440 .22 with a Deben Hawke 3-9x40 Scope (And a Swiss Arms P-1911 for kicks). This is my first air rifle and I'm very new to the sport/activity (first time on any sort of forum too so be nice in case I don't follow any etiquettes!). I have a relatively small backyard where I have been shooting over the last few days and unsuccessfully zeroing in my scope (I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with it). Would someone be kind enough to spare a bit of time on the following questions for me?

- What distance do you advise zeroing in a scope at?
    - When zoomed all the way out, my mil-dots are fine and in focus. However, when I zoom in, they tend to fade out and even disappear at times. There isn't another dial to focus it in. The focus dial lets me focus on my target, but doesn't affect the clarity of my mildots. Am I doing something wrong or should I contact the sellers regarding this?
    - I am based in Reading, Berks and really looking into shooting rabbit (mainly to eat :)): Are there any hunting groups/clubs nearby that I could possibly join (google wasn't too helpful) or any areas where you know of that I may be able to shoot? I'd be happy to join someone if they wouldn't mind.

Really looking forward to responses and getting shooting me some wabbits!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Welcome to the forum mate,

what scope are you using??

3. goatboy

goatboy Engaging Member

Hi and welcome, i can offer some advise. With a full power .22 air rifle i personally zero the scope at 10 yards and then it should also zero in again at 25/28 yards as the sight line of the scope meets the pellets trajectory again. As for the scope it self it would help if people knew which scope you are using, but hazzarding a guess i would suggest you unlock the ring at the eye piece and adjust the eye piece of the scope in or out ( it twists on a thread like the locking ring) till the mil dots focus to your liking, then tighten up the locking ring. I wear glasses and have found i have had to do this with some of my scopes, it might not sort it but it is worth a try. Good luck mate. atb

4. jjones

jjones Well-Known Member

ok without knowing the scope this is a bit of guesswork, but also being new to the sport I had these problems also a few months back:

Things to Check:

1) the scope is on the gun correctly. For the majority of scopes this means that the elevation turret is on the top and the windage (left/right) is on the right.
    2) Parallax, this to me sounds like it could be the problem. Does the scope you have mention "AO" in the title (adjustable objective). If the scope does not have AO adjustment then it is probably set to some crazy distance like 100 yards.

I think the reason that you cannot see reticule/target in focus at the same time is because the AO is factory set to 100 yards and you are trying to aim at things a lot closer. You can test this by pointing the scope at something a lot further away and then seeing if the target/reticule are then in focus.

Parallax will also cause zeroing issues because if the scope is pre-set to 100 yards a small head movement will "move" the reticule around on your target, so unless you have your head in exactly the same spot each shot (impossible with a springer as you have to take head off stock to reload) then each shot will have a different point of aim and therefore crap grouping as a result.

I had exactly this when I bought a new gun with a cheap hawke scope, had I known about parallax I would have spent the extra fiver on the AO model!

If you have a hawke scope that is non AO adjustable then you can alter it but this will void your warranty - but is pretty simple to do.

5. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

10 yards to start off with then you will get a secondary zero at 28 yards or so.
    You need to set the focus dial (on the front or side of the scope depending on what it is) to infinity or as high as it will go. Set the mag to highest. check at the eye end of the scope for a bit that moves when you twist it. it may have a couple of arrows on it or may not. This focuses the cross hairs to your eye like a pair of glasses. Then point the scope at a patch of sky or cloud and make the cross hairs come into focus by using the eye bell adjustment.
    Shooting permissions are usually very hard to come by and jealously guarded. You may find someone to help you out but it's usually a case of door knocking at farms and stables etc. Also you might want to become proficient with your rifle before you even think about pointing it at anything live.

Welcome to the forums.

6. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

As often State New or returning Air Gunners

Check out local Air Gun Clubs - Most are Friendly and will offer advise -

Plus far better to set up on a distant range than a limited Back Garden

As the Vermin Shoots - Several Hundred Air Gunners to available Shoots

In your Area Shooting rights are sold to Fire Arms users - Who are willing to pay to use their Fire Arms of Shoots

Also Most local Air Gun Vermin Shoots have long be take on by Air Gun Club Members -

BOB/R

7. lahuretz

lahuretz Member

Thanks a lot for your response, it's a Deben Hawke 3-9x40 Scope that came with the rifle.

8. lahuretz

lahuretz Member

Thanks you all for your responses! This is wayyy better than what I was expecting! It's a Deben Hawke 3-9x40 Scope that came with the rifle.

9. simonc_here

If you fancy a trip down to Newbury on a Sunday morning there is a club that can help you out with starting up.
    Or Bisley in the other direction.

Is the Scope a
    Sport HD?

http://www.deben.com/hawke-riflescopes.html

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. lahuretz

lahuretz Member

I can take a trip down to Newbury sure! Please forward on any further details! I believe the scope is AO Sport HD (Without IR).

11. simonc_here

I'll PM you the contact details. It's just off the A34/M4 junction.
    I'm not there this weekend, but will be next.

Your scope will have a fast focus eye ring, you just need to set that to get your cross hairs in focus.

12. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Welcome along to THE forum, enjoy your stay with us. Atb. Paul.

13. BarneyC

BarneyC Donator

Welcome along. Plenty of good advice up above.