1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bottle-to-bottle charging

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by spranynpray, May 11, 2014.

1. spranynpray

spranynpray Member

Hi all,

I have two bottles - a 3 litre and a 9 litre. The 9 litre is hostile to carry, the 3 is OK. Both bottles are in need of a test, and both have only sat in my house since they were last charged (and since certification last time, charged only once). Personally I think it is unnecessary and a rip-off to pay out for both to be certified and charged, so I'm thinking of just getting the 9kg done and using it to charge the 3kg. I would like your views on this practice, and also guidance as to where I can buy the parts to effect the bottle-to-bottle charge please.

Thx.

2. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Thats what lots of people do, keep the larger bottle in test and use the smaller without test for topping up when you need too,

3. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Personally I think the practice would be madness if either bottle is out of test. Mind you it would be funny to see the results of the out of test bottle explode when charged.

The tests are done for a reason and if you can't or are unwilling to afford a recharge, perhaps you should stick to springers.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I can't see a real problem, the cylinder won't fail unless it's been abused or neglected for years so you will be OK there, the only thing is the pressure, a 300bar 9L cylinder will charge a 3L one to 225bar which is fine at first but usable pressure may soon become an issue.

5. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

You can get one of these. http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=284 bit pricey, I think there's also a cheaper one without the bleed which is what I use, but check whether you're going to need the bleed or not. Wouldn't advise using an out of test cylinder, it's a bit like not MOTing your car.

Dave

6. spranynpray

spranynpray Member

Really? I'm surprised to read this. Can't see why there is a loss across the decanting hose or is the difference due to heating (which will equalise)?

7. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

The above assumes that the 3 litre cylinder is empty and the result is simply due to the increased total volume occupied by the air (9 to 12 litres) and is not due to any loses/heating.

It's an easy calculation. (Assumes perfect gas behaviour etc, but close enough for our purposes).

9 ltr @ 300BAR = 2700 ltr at 1 BAR, divide that by your new volume 12 ltr = 225BAR.

In the real world you would only be topping off the smaller cylinder.

With a starting pressure of say 180BAR in the 3ltr (540 ltr @ 1 BAR) and 300 BAR in the big tank you have a total volume of:
    2700+540= 3240

3240/12 = 270 BAR equalised pressure.

Next time around the 3 litre will again have 540 ltr, the 9 litre now has 2430 ltr,
    2970 ltr total.

2970/12 = 247.5 BAR equalised pressure etc

8. Scott srs

Scott srs Well-Known Member

I was told by a guy at the dive centre I know that the test is only needed for bottles that get used under water. as deep water ads extra pressure and for someone with a good clean bottle using for filling a airgun it's a con he fills mine without a test

9. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I don't think he knows what he's talking about so don't take his advice on it's own, but if he's happy to fill an out of test cylinder for an airgunner that sounds like a good chap to know

10. roy0110

roy0110 Engaging Member

when i had a bottle out of test, the guy that used to fill it for me told me to put a label on it stating "for air rifle use only"
    he was happy to fill it after that without test.
    i just took his word for it thinking he knew what he was talking about.

11. spranynpray

spranynpray Member

Gotcha. I had my brain turned off there for a while! So if I were to do this it seems I would need a much bigger bottle to really gain out of it which sounds. To hell with it - I may go back to plan 'a' and get a carbon fibre bottle with a long test as the cost of re-charges isn't expensive, I just hate being ripped off for a re-test when the bottle has had the same dry air in it for the last 5 years!

12. harry brown

harry brown Banned

This is a classic explanation/reason of why I should have listened during maths lessons...Instead of looking at A.B's lovely firm Baps for the whole lesson 37-8 years ago! :rolleyes:.....:confused:......:)

13. Barni

Barni Donator

Miss A was my biology teacher ..... oh my word !! i say no more

but a sticker " for air rifle use only " ...... now that could be of use :) i wonder if we could get that rule to work ?

14. DaveF

DaveF Busy Member

From your original post doesn't sound like you shoot that much so why not stick to the 3ltr bottle and sell the 9ltr. decanting from 9ltr to 3 ltr is pointless you would only get 1 good refill.

The test is for a very good reason, when us airgunners buy these bottles we are never given a saftey brief or told how dangerous they can be. My refiller who does tank tests, is an air gunner and taught me a lot. its like carrying a potential bomb around. tanks must be kept cool not in sunlight or a hot car. most people have no idea of how dangerous 300bar compressed air is. there are videos on utube. as far as carbon fibre tanks are concerned the test on these is even strickter, any scratches or chips in carbon rap is an instant fail and these the tanks have a much shorter life span

15. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The most highly stressed part of a cylinder is the internal wall, so it's here where corrosion or damage will have the greatest effect. It will take significantly less corrosion on the inside of the cylinder than the outside to cause it to fail.

Internal corrosion can be caused by the entry of seawater when empty, or more relevantly to us through filling with damp air. The greater danger from seawater is why sub-surface bottles are tested at 2.5yr intervals rather than the 5yrs for surface bottles.

Being used on the surface does not exempt bottles from testing! It's still highly possible that they can be corroded on the inside by wet air; damage that will only be found during testing or when it goes pop and takes your face with it..

Martman likes this.
  16. spranynpray

spranynpray Member

Gotcha. I had my brain turned off there for a while! So if I were to do this it seems I would need a much bigger bottle to really gain out of it which sounds. To hell with it - I may go back to plan 'a' and get a carbon fibre bottle with a long test as the cost of re-charges isn't expensive, I just hate being ripped off for a re-test when the bottle has had the same dry air in it for the last 5 years!

17. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

My guy re-painted my black and white bottle to grey (industrial air colour), the tank has a 10 year ticket now, and only needs a 5 yearly visual inspection until it needs certifying again. The colour change is done to prove that it wont be used under water for breathing air purposes.

18. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

The voice of sanity...