1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

bore sight devices

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dave hunt, Jun 22, 2014.

1. dave hunt

dave hunt Engaging Member

I can't believe I have got to this age and only just come across this device.Advice please on whats available,how good they are,and general advice all round.I currently pepper the countryside with pellets before getting anything like an idea of how a scope is aligned!This device sounds the biz.Enlighten me.

2. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

Pointless on an air rifle IMO.

At best they only get you close to being zeroed.

They are really designed for full bore shooters who want to save on cost and barrel wear, and on very large calibres the joy of extreme recoil which can become irksome after only 4 or 5 shots.

Pellets are cheap, it should only take 2 shots to get in the same area as a bore sighter, maybe a few more if you can't be bothered to roughly work out how many clicks to move you POI and just twidle the knobs.

3. dave hunt

Getting close to being zeroed sounds OK to me;Have you NEVER fitted a scope only to find that there are NO pellets on a very large target area?Or have I just been unlucky?

4. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Hi Dave, Optically centering the scope (as with a mirror etc) before fitting helps some. Plenty of info behind the search button.

As 18wheeler says above, it shouldn't take many shots to get close enough for fine tuning.

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

As above your money is better spent on other kit.
    Work out your 8 yard point of impact. ( or some other close range that is convenient)
    Shoot at 8 yards until your point of impact is near enough. Go back to your zero range and fine tune.
    Cheers Andy

6. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

Start closer to the target when you Zero the scope and when the pellets are on target move back bit by bit to your zero range.............

7. Nige4927

Nige4927 Busy Member

In my opnion, best spend your money on a good gun stand.. you can zero then with 1 shot. Needs to be a good sturdy one so there is no movement. take a shot at a white piece of paper at you desired range then look down the scope while you turn the turrets to line the crosshair with where the pellet struck.. simples.. if your unlucky and the 1st shot was a flyer, you may need to repeat the process.

Then you can use the stand for cleaning and maintainance etc.
    Thats how I do it and it works a treat.

Nige

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  8. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Hi Dave,just bought one of these little gadgets(£12.99)off Ebay.Wasn't expecting much for the price but thought I'll give it a try and was pleasantly surprised.Always used to sight a scope in at 10mtrs to start with which normally means you on again at roughly 30mtrs.Using one of these gadgets does quicken the process and gets your scope very near your chosen zero quicker and without wasting pellets,you just need 2 or 3 pellets for final adjustment to get it spot on.For the money I personally think they're a good buy

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I've got one of these cheap boresighters (from J S Ramsbottom I believe) which also covers .177. I find it quite useful when changing scopes or working with scopeless nv units. You can't expect them to be spot on but it gets me within a few clicks in no time at all. You can't use them with a silencer in place though.

10. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Found them very useful fod gauge to save rounds

11. stryder5

stryder5 Donator

I would have thought this would be a useful tool for ensuring that the barrel and scope rail are in alignment. If a barrel band is present ( for example ) it could be tightened in such a way that there could be misalignment in the windage plane. If this misalignment is present then for a given elevation the windage would be zeroed true, but, at different elevation there would be a windage error due to, in effect, the barrel and the scope pointing in different directions in the windage plane.

Hope this makes sense.

12. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Yes you can use one for checking the barrel alignment as you make adjustments to clamps, grub screws etc. On some rifles you can rotate the barrel which will move the point of impact and you can use this if, for example, you are unable to zero your scope due to insufficient adjustment.

13. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I got one, what a waste of money, save your money, and do as Duncman sugests, it works for me. With your average full power air rifle, once you have zero at 15 to 17yds, you should be able to move back to 30 to 35yds, and do your fine tuning. A picture showing the 2 zero points for my TX. Atb Bob. View attachment 98833 PS. But if you want one, PM me, you can have the one I have, free of charge, as I don't use it. But what you have to remember is, a laser travels in a strait line, but a pellet does not. so you would still have to fine tune your zero.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  14. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Received your PM, The Bore Sighter will be on its way to you soon, Bob.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  15. dave hunt

Once again I have been deeply impressed by the kindness of people on this forum.Many thanks to Bob.