1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Bipod Fitting, With No Mounting Point?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Pietro Beretta, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Engaging Member

I'm looking to fit a bipod to my SMK XT501.

There's no rail under the for-end (and I'm not keen on attaching the bipod to the barrel), and I'm wondering if there's some kind of adaptor, perhaps attaching via the barrel mounting screw?

The dealer had this in his box of odds and ends, and I could easily drill a couple of holes, and screw it to the wooden for-end, but drilling into the fore-end would obviously be a last resort.

DSCF0325.JPG

2. hughlle

hughlle Big Poster

Drilling into the stock really shouldn't be considered a last resort, especially with such a low priced rifle. Drill the stock front and back, then you can install a sling stud and have a sling as well as bipod option.

3. Pietro Beretta

That did cross mind, regarding the sling swivel.

As you say, I could put another eyelet in the underside, rear of the stock, and fit a two point sling, to allow for carrying as well as steadying.

4. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Post Whore

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. Pietro Beretta

I've ordered some of those rails, and a sling swivel.
    [​IMG]
    No point drilling more holes than is absolutely necessary.

6. Pietro Beretta

The rails have arrived, and I've just ordered some brass inserts.

I'm not sure how long the inserts need to be, so I've ordered 5 each of 6.6mm and 10mm.

7. hughlle

hughlle Big Poster

Pierto, if you're worried about getting things wrong, then drop me a PM and i'll get a spare gun in the post for you FOC :thumb:

8. Pietro Beretta

I think I'll be OK, but thanks anyway. :)

9. Pietro Beretta

Well, that was hard work.

I bought a QD sling unit for the front, and a screw in unit for the butt (actually, and fortunately, there were two in the pack), but they turned out to be different size loops. :mad:

DSCF0327.JPG

Not to be disheartened, I bought a different QD unit, with a simple I-Bolt fitting

DSCF0329.JPG

only to discover the hole in the eyelet was .3mm too small, for the cross bolt on the sling swivel. :(

Thankfully, the metal is alloy, rather than steel, and I managed to overbore it with a cordless drill, without having to strip it down and clamp the eyelet in a vice. :)

Finally, I have a matching pair of sling swivels, which will fit my rifle. :cool:

DSCF0330.JPG

Just got to finish installing the Picatinny Rail (awaiting the thread inserts), and drill the butt, and install the I-Bolt for the rear sling swivel.

Well, you know what they say, about learning more from what goes wrong, than what goes right. :)

10. Pietro Beretta

Well, that's the rear one done. :cool:

DSCF0336.JPG

Just waiting on the thread inserts, to install the rail on the front.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  11. Pietro Beretta

Job done, finally. :cool:

DSCF0343.JPG
    ETA: I've a few bits left over.

If anyone has a use for some of them (and I do mean an actual use, rather than just sticking them in a drawer/box/jar, "just in case they'll come in handy someday"), pop me a PM saying which bits you'd like, and I'll send them to you.

UK only please.

DSCF0345.JPG

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Tim_B, stevil and Dag like this.
  12. stevil

stevil Engaging Member

nice job mate, got me thinking to fitting a rail to the bottom of my Phox, i think it will suit the black synthetic stock well:thumb:

13. Pietro Beretta

Have you considered how you will physically attach it to the stock?

Mine's wood, so I drilled it, and used these.
    [​IMG]

14. stevil

stevil Engaging Member

simple nut and bolt would be ok, already have a stud fitted so halfway there lol

15. Tricky13

Tricky13 Keyboard Hero

16. Pietro Beretta

My tripod came with that fitting too, but I've used the Picatinny rail clamp.