1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Best Sharpener

Discussion in 'Knives & Tools' started by Witterings, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Witterings

Witterings Posting Addict

What's your guys thoughts on the best sharpener for your hunting knives and I guess kitchen knives as well.

I did ask a couple of years ago and ended up buying one of the Lansky Turnboxes and I have to say I'm not that impressed with it. If you do want to get something sharp you're better off using something more aggressive to start off with as it'll take forever otherwise ... if ever ... I actually found the £4.99 Screwfix Magnussan Diamond Stone better.

Am thinking about getting a decent stone and came across the Fallkniven DC3 & DC4's ... I'm guessing the only advantage of the 3 is it's smaller but if I'm not going to carry it out to the field would probably be better off with the DC4???

Or am I better off going with a more traditional Whetstone and if so does anyone have any recommendations, I did google and found the Sharp Pebble which had brilliant reviews on Amazon until I found a thread inferring that quite a high percentage of their reviews were fake.

Last piece of the puzzle ... is a whetstone good for axes / machete's as well or am I better off with something different just for that???

Any help appreciated and mods of this is in the wrong place and needs moving please do.

walter Often and Jasglo68 like this.
  2. Auracana

Auracana Busy Member

I bought one of these from a local general store last year for a fiver and it has been brilliant.
    Did not expect much, but is the best quick sharpener I have used and still going strong. Use it on all my knives and even garden pruners/sheers. For a finer edge I would use a finer stone or rod just to hone the edge after using....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAMOND-...403960&hash=item19f327ca69:g:hmkAAOSwVFlUCG-m

Worth a try for the money....

3. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Very Active

What your sharpening , where and how often dictates what is going to be “best” imo :)

Jasglo68 and Tim_B like this.
  4. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

A lot depends on the grind on a knife on what sort of sharpening kit you need , for a scandi i would go for the dc4 and for a hollow grind i would use a ceramic rod for field use , both can fit in your jacket pocket ok .

5. phil adams

phil adams Well-Known Member

As Jimmy and Sharps said, it depends what you are sharpening and how you want to do it. For example if you wanted to sharpen a recurve blade you would want a different setup than a scandi ground blade. Also, do you want to sharpen in the field or at home?

6. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I use an Opinel carbon so its oil stone only, never been a fan of stainless steel, I find it doesn't keep an edge very well.

7. HW100Tuning

HW100Tuning Big Poster

There's lot of knife information in the "Knives & Tools" section of the forum :thumb:

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?forums/knives-tools.173/

8. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

The fixed angled rod sharpeners like the Lansky and Spyderco are great for maintaining edges that are already established, but practically useless on a dull blade when you will have to remove more metal in order to create a new burr - freehand sharpening on good quality whetsones will remove metal rapidly, but practice on cheapo knives is recommended until you become accustomed to doing it - a decent hard strop & compound will finish the job off to perfection.

243deer and OldGreyDog like this.
  9. rob3082

rob3082 Engaging Member

A standard sharpening rod or steel is all that's needed, but don't buy a cheap once as they are generally too soft and don't last long... sharpen at at a 15° angle using medium pressure, about 7-8 times on either side, it's very easy to over sharpen and dull the blade

10. HW100Tuning

HW100Tuning Big Poster

Jimmypie and 2506sendero like this.
  11. Tim_B

Tim_B Pro Poster

As said already, lansky turn box if you already a Have an edge and are looking to maintain.

I also use a lansky system with the clamps as I am useless on keeping an angle when starting afresh with a dull blade.

12. Leon77

Leon77 Engaging Member

Lansky Puck for axes, cant recommend them enough

13. Claypole

Claypole Posting Addict

I use a cheap Draper branded stone on cheap kitchen knives, but on my Japanese kitchen knife, and pocket knives I will use a Japanese waterstone. Not an expensive natural one, but a synthetic "King" branded combination stone. 1000 grit on one side, 6000 on the other.

I also regularly use a sharpening steel, although in reality they don't actually do much in the way of sharpening. A very sharp edge will tend to roll over with use, and a steel is used to straighten the edge back up. Using a steel on a kitchen knife before me very use will greatly reduce the amount of times the knife needs to go back on the stone.

Some people like to use a leather stop to put the final touches on a sharp edge, but a folded over newspaper can serve as a cheap and convenient alternative.

2506sendero likes this.
  14. Jasglo68

Jasglo68 Its not about the size it’s where you put it !!

Hi
    I’ve been sharpening knives for myself and for others for many years and I’ve tried all manner of stones and sharpening systems. I now mainly use diamond sharpening stones ( non perforated type ) in various grades and do this freehand. It does take practice but once you’ve got the hang of it you will get superior results. I the finish with a leather strop with either green compound or autosol chrome polish. This will give a long lasting mirror polished edge and it will work on all types of grinds and all types of steel including modern “super steels “. Just get yourself a couple of cheaper knives to practice on , Mora or Opinel are a good place to start. The Falkniven dc4 is excellent for field use.
    Hope this helps :thumb:
    Here’s a couple of pics of recent sharpenings I’ve done
    2E4B3ADB-92E4-472D-9313-CD4C82415D4B.jpeg 949E2930-A9F9-4B90-B31E-1C97CD146513.jpeg 5A213905-88BA-4D80-8F3C-E261FE7E3633.jpeg 88BD70D8-3B85-4FE3-97D5-AD0296100235.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    nevadacowboy and Claypole like this.
  15. Leshiy

Leshiy Busy Member

Touch them up with me Japanese whetstone’s
    then on the leather strop with a drop of peek polish
    If there really bad I’ll give them a go on the Tormek T8 then another work through the whetstones

16. Davey Sprocket

Davey Sprocket Well-Known Member

Jasglo68 likes this.
  17. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

I use the Spyderco sharpening system and although pricey (seventy quid or so) find it easy and does a great job, my Opinel knives really do come up seriously sharp.

Trident93 and 2506sendero like this.
  18. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

The Spyderco Sharpmaker loves carbon steel blades with thin edges.

tombillings916 likes this.
  19. Desmond.22

Desmond.22 Keyboard Hero

Sharpmaker for me does what i need and dead easy.

Can get edge sharp as you will really need

20. Witterings

Witterings Posting Addict

Gosh cheers all … I wasn’t expecting quite so many replies and thanks mods … have seen it’s been moved the appropriate section … not sure why I didn’t notice that section when I looked through, even though I thought about putting it in the hunting section rather than general.

Too many to reply to each individually but will try and comment on as many as possible in “general replies.

As a side comment, Jasglo68 … love the ones in pics 3 and 4 down!!

Whilst I asked about Machete’s / Axes which I may get a Lansky puck for as I’ve heard other favourable comments and one of the machete’s is a Kukri so is a recurve.

The ones I’m much more interested in getting a good edge on are more general knives as in the pic below along with everyday kitchen knives.

I did make a strop a while ago with a piece of wood and an old belt cut into bits and then glued onto the wood and some autosol compound but can’t remember which one … although I have it in the garage somewhere but never think I got them sharp enough on the Lansky to actually benefit from the strop.

I’ll have a good look through all the suggestions … does anyone happen to have used one of the Faithfull Diamond Whetstones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAITHFUL.../292735927311?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

and if so any feedback on good or bad???

Attached Files: