1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Best PCP starting rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by RyRy, May 13, 2014.

1. RyRy

RyRy Donator

So, I've not long had Gertrude now (my HW99s) and she's a thing of beauty and gives me satisfactory please (easy ). But I'm already being lured into the idea of having a PCP in the near future as well so she doesn't feel too lonely when I'm not around. Now I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg as I know full well is genuinely the case when buying a PCP, so I'm looking at ideas on what to start with. I've been looking at the AA S200 and it seems to be a fairly sound gun. I'm guessing the best option would also be to go second hand, providing the rifle is in working order and hasn't been used as a door stop.

Opinions and guidance much appreciated on this one as per usual

Many thanks

Ryan

Ps latest shot if Gerty ((;

Ryan[​IMG]

2. Pelletpower

Pelletpower Donator

By cheap by twice, get a hw100 and be done with it ;)

3. themadspread

themadspread Donator

ill second whatthe lad said above

4. anchovie

anchovie Banned

The s200's are a good rifle but personally I'd go for an ultra you can pick them up pretty cheap but don't let cheapness put you off they're an absolute cracker of a rifle and as accurate as things many times the price

5. RyRy

RyRy Donator

I do fancy myself a HW100kt but that won't be feasible till I've started basic training as the funds aren't pouring in at the moment (had to take a part time job because my dads been posted to Germany and I'm staying at the girlfriends now till I start in July and it was all that's going!)

6. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Look for daystate harrier x, or hw100 non-quick fill
    Multishot, reasonably priced and lot of potential

U will be able to upgrade hw100 to QF for a 100 squids by buying a new cylinder in future, or qf adaptor for 75 squids

7. RyRy

RyRy Donator

I'd better get fishing then!

8. Picklehoffer

Picklehoffer Ministry of Foolishness

Not necessarily.... RyRy, have you considered a Hatsan AT44-10? £350 for a brand new one with tactical stock and accurate as guns 4 times the price! I know, cos I have one and it hits kill shots at 70+ yards very consistently (even with me shooting it!;))

I notice one of your locations is Yorkshire, have you been to Redbeck Shooting Supplies in Crofton? They have a good stock of used PCP rifles and of course, brand new AT44's.

9. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

I have the S200, ultra and 100kT and for a starter rifle they are all superb...but the 100kt is obviously more expensive.

i think I would go s200 and then a bottle or a pump. The s200 should be around 250 to 280 and if your lucky it will have the multishot conversion already.

Cheers
    Tim

10. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Cambs is my main location at the moment. But thanks for the info. Have been looking at that rifle also!

11. RyRy

RyRy Donator

The S200 is definitely a serious consideration at the moment, especially a multi shot. Is using a pump as much a burden as having to have a bottle refilled/tested

Ryan

12. RyRy

RyRy Donator

And also is there much difference between the two part and single part stock models?

13. 177man

177man Engaging Member

My advice would be to buy the best one you can afford.
    Compared to a springer it will feel so much more accurate
    you won't believe it .I've recently picked up a second
    hand Airarms s510 and it just amazes me with it's accuracy
    i always used springer before pcp are so far removed from
    springers you won't believe it .Good luck in what ever you
    choose you will love it Atb Si

14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Don't really agree with this...

I have an S400,I prefer it over the S200 for a few reasons but I would still own an S200,Ultras are great little guns too, if it was me being a first time buyer,I would be looking at an S400,Ultra,S200 and an Hatsan AT44, in that order ;)

I've shot HW100's and similiar priced rifles but always come back to the S400 & Ultra,there's just something about them :D

15. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Pumps are actually pretty good for little cylinder rifles like the S200 & Ultras although my bottle isn't really a burden,we have a 7 liter 300 bar.
    With an S200 and a 7 liter bottle you're looking at approx 88 fills (filling to 170 and filling at 100) and a test every 5 year.

16. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Fantastic advice as ever Matty! In respect of the whole burden thing I guess what I really meant is in the long run I'm guessing a bottle will cost you more, but on the other hand there's chance of rusting the cylinder with a pump isn't there? How many shots per fill do you get with a 400? I believe it's around 40 isn't it with a 200? (Without modifying it)

17. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Yeah I know what you mean in reference to the accuracy etc having fired a few peoples PCPs before. But I think that's part of the fun with a springer. As daft as it may sound I feel like more of the effort is coming from me with a springer as apposed to a PCP. Does that make sense?

18. 177man

177man Engaging Member

I know exactly what you mean i love my springers but have a new found
    love in my pcp lol Si

19. RyRy

RyRy Donator

I've found a .177 2012 S400f Classic with a JSR TF2 3-9x50 etched Mil-dot illuminated scope, a silencer (with adapter), a couple of tins of field pellets and a air rifle soft case for £350. Is this good/bad should I haggle?

20. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Is there any way of converting it to .22 instead