1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Best for Hunting.....Carbine or standard?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Fog, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

I am thinking of dipping my toe into a Carbine. All my life i have avoided them purely as the shot reduction i find is just pointless and weighing up in weight it does not compare.

What are your thoughts my fellow companions for hunting are you a pro carbine or like me a bit 'Is it worth the shot reduction'!

2. topcat

topcat Post Whore

carbines

has you no i am a rapid man but i am also thinking about getting a carbine light weight rifle one of my shoots is one hell of abig hill walking round the flat bits no probs but when wanting to go long walk abouts a light carbie would be ideal i would still take my rapid with me just incase of running out of shots fn12 177 or air arms carbine cant make me mind up

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

I have always hunted with a light .177.....The S200 has been the most accurate rifle i have ever had and that includes £700 German machinary etc etc.
    For accuracy none have come close .
    Its lack of punch below 130 is a pain for that , no safety catch, or air guage.
    I am so impressed with it i am just jumping up slightly to the S400 with .22 Guage and Carbine. Not interested in multi-shot as in the 410 as most of my shooting is during the day and i think it does not really effect much but if i lamped a lot i certainly would have a magazine.

I tried shooting my mates Rapid ...Could not hit a Barn door picked up my 200 and was grouping inside a 10p piece at 30 yards.

The carbine i have never tried so i say 'Don't knock it until you try it.
    We shall see.

cheers

4. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

carbine or not

if you use a rifle for hf target work why not use it for hunting aswell.
    i have found that lightweight rifles are no good for me , they wobble around all over the place. but a heavy ish rifle suits me down to the ground. in regards to hunting i would say that you should apply the same principles as when buying your first gun, as to what you use out in the field, ie, weight, comfort etc etc.as for shot numbers, unless you,re going out on pest control you should only need 1 shot for every rabbit you wish to take home. carbine rifles are just as good as the full size version it,s just a case of what you,re most comfortable in using and that you can shoot accurately with the rifle of you,re choice, imo
    :)

5. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Good points.

Well i pipped for the 410 Carbine and another scope too. I usually stick to my guns for many many years . If they don.t perform for me i find out a way so that they will.
    I am a great fan of Air Arms and like the smooth actions of the weirach T100 i had but it was just to heavy for my style of hunting but the two brands i think are a cut above the rest.
    I have an arrangement that i can change to a S400 if i can't get going with multi shot (as i can't really change that) plus money back. That's why stick to your local gunsmiths it pays in the long term just to pay for that few extra pounds when buying.

So far just zero'd in the sights. (4X14X50) at 30 yards then will move up to 35 or 40 yards when shooting good groupings but commitments have stopped me until the weekend. First impressions are very good , but multi shot...Not sure yet?
    the problem i have with multi shot is you get too complacent with loading duff pellets. especially when Lamping and getting the count wrong in the adrenalin of the moment which can cost you dearly.
    But i am mainly tree rat anyway i get enough with my Birds of Prey and my 4 freezers are stocked up with quarry from them. They will take tree rat but i try to avoid them as they can give the hawk a nasty bite although thats always on the rats death bed.They took a Deer last season and plent of Pheasant for my Tummy:)