1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Best Fittings/dowty

Discussion in 'Technical' started by brk1, Sep 28, 2019.

1. brk1

brk1 Engaging Member

I've only recently bought a Best fittings kit so several adapters can be used so everything is new at the moment, also recently got a spare kit as well :)

Regarding the Dowty washers, what size are they, imperial or metric, M8, 3/8 , M10? If they are uncscrewed are they a one time seal or do they want replacing when swapped between fittings ?

Also the "O" ring inside the female quick couple part, what size "O" rings are used , most searches just take me straight to links for packets of 5 or straight to best fittings showing me the kit or parts of kits that I already have, or answer just saying get a pack from so and so. I expect they are only standard nitrile shore 70 ring ? But what size ?

Any answers appreciated , thanks.:thumb:

2. sagalout

sagalout Apparently I need more guns.

The dowty washers will be 1/8" BSP available from an excellent ebayer here I have no interest in them except that I have had exceptional service from them. I ordered 10 washers, they didn't arrive, I contacted them they resent 1st class post. 3 days later the first lot they sent turned up, I offered to pay for them but they refused any payment.

brk1 likes this.
  3. sagalout

For the O rings it might be worth asking this ebayer, once again I have had excellent service from him.

4. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Very Active

Why would you want or need to replace the O rings in the female QD socket?

5. brk1

brk1 Engaging Member

Thanks for the answers, my reason for asking was , not knowing what I need, if you look at tech spec for those dowtys, it says 1/8 BSP has an internal diameter 10.37 , but if you slide a dowty washer down the screw thread , it grabs the thread on the way down, with the thread being only 9.6mm or 3/8" , with materials I work with they are always labelled up as to what they are , an M10 thread is 10mm , a 100mm screw is 100mm long and so on :). With the world of "O" rings and air fittings everything seems to work to a different sytem :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Do you know if they of "one off" useage ?

I might not need to replace "O" rings in the female QD, but "O" rings, do they not wear if put under pressure with fittings constantly being put in and taken out, as I said the kit is new and barely had any use yet, so simply asking questions :):). Surely you don't throw away a coupling for the sake of a worn O ring if the need arises ??

quick edit
    Just followed your link to the Dowty seller , all explained now 1/8 bsp to 9.72mm thread :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

BSP fittings don't relate to other thread sizes, it's British standard pipe so metric measurements won't work. The seals are to fit a 1/8" BSP and they will be a snug fit over the male threaded part. Generally I wouldn't suggest re-using them but you might be lucky, as they're cheap enough it's well worth keeping some spares. For most applications you probably wouldn't be swapping the fittings over, it's better to have enough of the quick release fittings to go on all your probes.
    O Rings are also 'different'. Metric ones are simple the 2 dimensions are the internal bore size and the ring thickness so a 6x2 o ring would have an internal dimension of 6mm and external 10mm. Imperial ones can be complicated so it might be worth googling the topic to see what you might need to order.

brk1 likes this.
  7. bob4026

bob4026 Posting Addict

In my experience at the club, the o rings in the female foster fitting is always getting ruined or lost. How, I have no idea. My female foster fittings on my bottles have the same o rings inside and in the last three years I have ruined/changed none of them.

I would like to know the size and type tho... a mate looked into this and the o rings aren’t available from best fittings, strangely.

8. brk1

brk1 Engaging Member

Thank you Terry, sagalout's link to ebay actually did state the sizes involved, a lot of the other links just gave you what size the actual Dowty was without the part after it that actually says about a 1/8 BSP fitting a 9.6 -9.7mm thread, I might never need to change any "O" rings as they might just not go , but it was a case of having spares incase all of a sudden I wasn't able to fill up, like happened the other week due to a simple "O" ring on the wrong fill probe that became defunct and I was stuck with no air.

I actually bought extras when I got the Best Fittings kit, extra quick fit adapters that came with an extra dowty, so won't run out unless I do several changes , but for the price they are I just like to have emergency back ups, many searches for that internal "O" ring haven't really brought up any results , so it's probably a case of they don't break down and won't need replacing :shrug:

@bob4026
    But if they don't break down, why do they sell them in packs of 5 for £4.50, seems their websie has been changed about a bit, new pages don't seem to show them anymore , but some older links still work, on the same page but says fits their quick socket plugs ??

https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop/fill-probes-adaptors/fill-adaptors/quick-coupler-socket-qc02/

bob4026 likes this.
  9. John Entwistle

John Entwistle Engaging Member

brk1 the link you provided had the seals in a pack of 5
    Some folks are heavy handed and can destroy most things others at ranges and clubs have there kit heavily used, others just like to be prepared for failures. It’s easy to see what there sold in packs
    Me and a couple of mates tend to bulk buy between us for the savings and to be prepared

10. brk1

brk1 Engaging Member

Hi John,That pack of 5 was only in response to @bob4026 saying they didn't sell them as spares, I'm trying to find out what size they are, I might not ever need a spare for that fitting, but I'm certainly not paying 90p each for a standard size "O" ring, If I ever find out what size they are :).

11. sagalout

Take one out and measure it?

12. brk1

brk1 Engaging Member

I did think of that :) , but with my luck with "O" rings lately :laff:, I'd be sure to damage it removing it and be stuck without air for another weekend. :(. Thought this might have been a well known item as a spare, seems not though :(. I have to wait until I'm not shooting or plinking for a while and try and eek one out carefully :thumb:

13. markturver

markturver Well-Known Member

Do you mean the o-ring inside the female Foster coupling? I believe it's a BS009, but have seen a BS008 in one, whether someone had fitted an incorrect one I couldn't say.

14. bob4026

bob4026 Posting Addict

Cheers for the link brk, some on their way to me now. :thumb:

15. brk1

brk1 Engaging Member

Just for anybody else who might ever need them, the Dowty washers were as info provided, 1/8 " BSP, upon taking off my HW100 stock for strip down and re oil, not needing a fill for a while, I took the suggestion of @sagalout and whipped out the "O" ring, measured and ordered before confirming they work, nearly right @markturver , they were actually BS010 rings, I tried over a 6mm drill bit and a 6.5mm drill bit,for internal size, measured the ring CS then ordered some BS010 , they look identical , fitted one inside the female quick coupler, then did a quick test, just went upto 180 bar no leaks at all, so pretty much 99.9% sure they are the correct "O" rings :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:.

Thankyou everybody who added some input. :thumb::thumb:

16. sagalout

Thanks for that @brk1