1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Beretta CX4 Storm - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by EX Mod Cog, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

This looks like I good fun gun, does anyone know if it's any good/what's the power output on this thing?

2. Whitey1234

Whitey1234 Member

it's almost identical to the crosman nightstalker.

there's a 20 minute video review on one of the american sites (might be pyramid air).
    precis of the review is both are stupid amounts of fun.
    basically the cx 4 has better build quality but accuracy wise the nightstalker shaded it in the review.
    that might be down to a number of factors but side by side they're pretty much identical to look at but the nightstalker is half the cost.
    power wise I think it came out about 8ft/lbs

Andrew

3. Whitey1234

Whitey1234 Member

4. sirok

sirok Guest

Blimey and I have one so I'll add my two cents and he can give you his which should give you some idea

Pros
    - a helluva lot of fun, best gun I have for plinking cans out to 25-30m.
    - 30 round mag
    - semi-automatic
    - can decock the gun and remove the magazine at any point you like
    - beretta scope is good quality, mil-dot.

Cons
    - accuracy is inconsistent
    - scope that comes with the pack doesnt fit the rail, you can easily sand down the rear sight block to give clearance
    - sights are very poor and you don't loose anything in only using the beretta scope which is good quality
    - bipod is poor quality also but does the job.

- being a CO2 rifle it can be expensive, also the colder the weather the lower the velocity as with all CO2 rifles

5. sirok

sirok Guest

also forgot to add that for what I paid for it, its overpriced here in Europe so I imagine its the same in the UK

6. Whitey1234

Whitey1234 Member

lykoris's review pretty much 100% agrees with the pyramidair review.
    The cx is lovely to look at but at more than £200 I'd find the inconsistent accuracy absolutely infuriating!
    makes you wonder what needs to be done to resolve the accuracy issue?

7. sirok

sirok Guest

Cognition,

I would highly recommend you look at the umarex 850 airmagnum, the 16 Joule version is 11.8 ft/lbs in .177, BAR has them at GBP 199.95 and in every respect is a far superior rifle to the beretta storm (which I saw going for 275 without the silencer, bipod and scope so its probably 350-380 for these extras...which is simply not worth it.

The 850 has a flawless loading mechanism, 8 round clip, great balance and most important of all, pin-point accuracy, once zeroed you can put an entire clip into a 2p piece at 40m easily. Its also great for plinking, isn't pellet fussy.

for the price difference between the two you could pick up extra magazines (its come with two) and extra CO2 88g canisters. Its a really nice rifle.

other than that mate, save a bit more and get yourself an AAS410;) ... in .177

or get your FAC and combine Xmas with your birthday an get an airwolf/rapid mkII in .22

8. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Lykoris and others, thanks for the feedback and the link. If I were to get the CX4 it'd be without accessories - just want it as a fun gun for plinking and I have the money.

I will look at the 850 Airmagnum, and let you know what I think.

Thanks again for your help.

9. Whitey1234

Whitey1234 Member

Hi Cognition,

the 850 seems to be very well regarded as a multishot weapon with impressive accuracy.

there's a healthy 850 forum and many of them have converted the gun to run as a pcp off a regulated hpa bottle to give better shot to shot consistency. running easily at 11.5 ft/lbs and in the states they're getting a fair bit more out of it.

It's a shame the cx4 is pant's in the accuracy department as it certainly looks like huge amounts of fun!

10. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I don't think the accuracy is that bad ... as long as I can hit some cans?

> Don't think the .177 version of the 850 Airmagnum runs at 11.5ft/lbs, slightly less. That's the power for the .22 variant.

11. sirok

sirok Guest

In Belgium/Holland there are being sold as follows:

<table style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; border-collapse: collapse;" bordercolorlight="#FFFF00" bordercolordark="#FFFF00" border="1" bordercolor="#ffff00" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="201" width="597"><tbody><tr><td height="19" width="595"> Umarex Magnum 850 Co2 </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" width="595"> Leverbaar in:</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> 4,5 mm 12 Joule</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> 4,5 mm 16 Joule (speciale export versie)</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> 5,5 mm 20 Joule (speciale export versie)</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> Incl. Co2 88 gr., 2 stuks magazijn en fiberoptics richtmiddelen Prijs € 269,-</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> Magazijn los € 9,95</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> Co2 vulling 88 gr. € 9,95</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> Silencer € 48,95</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15" width="595"> Adapter Co2 voor 2 x 12 gr. € 79,95</td></tr></tbody></table>

so the 4.5 above or .177 at 16 Joule is 11.8 ft/lbs over here....in the U.K. due to the limit they could be set to the 12 Joule or 8.85 ft/lbs

you just have to go into a few shops and take a look at what is on the side of it....16J or 12J

I can't help you out there Cognition, I've no idea what they are at, but if you can get a 16J 850 for 199 quid I'd jump on it

another thing I forgot to mention on the Cx4 is that the trigger pull is poor also, tough pull, no real distinction between 1st/2nd stage.

12. sirok

sirok Guest

If you're set on it - buy it. I was like you and in retrospect wish I had been less impulsive and put my money into something with more quality for the same money - I think its a great plinking gun with a scope on it, the open sights are crap. I just wouldn't want you to end up like me, buying it and then being disappointed the accuracy isn't better and feeling a little p****d off.

the place you're thinking of buying it, I'm certain they have a pellet trap so ask to have a go to see - think its overpriced but a great fun gun for plinking, I'd never use it for anything else due to the flyers it puts out

13. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

EDIT: I'm changing the topic of this thread, now it's about the alternatives to the CX4 - what else is there that's better?

We've mentioned the 850 Airmagnum, but is there anything else?

As far as fun guns so, what about some of the Baikal models like the Drozd?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  14. sirok

sirok Guest

I can't comment on anything else that could be considered a fun gun because I don't own them and haven't shot them.

why don't you get an S410 .177? okay, its not a *fun* gun but at least it can do more than just plink, I'm sure you can get a good 2nd hand one with a charging kit for a bit extra than what you're lookimg to spend on a Cx4.

15. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

In a way I like the idea of the CX4 being a replica. All the rifles I've ever owned have been the traditional, wooden stocked style ones.

I think it's appealing to have something that's semi-automatic for a change, as I've always used springers.

16. sirok

sirok Guest

the thing about these fun guns is that they all run on CO2, so using semi-auto, like unloading a cx4 mag is that the velocity drops off, generally you should allow 5-15 seconds for the cylinder to warm back up to retain a constant velocity which to be honest you notice a lot if you don't, least I do see how it drops off if you just keep pulling the trigger

its takes all of 2 seconds to cycle a bolt action PCP, you have a nice mag size and velocity remains constant vis-à-vis CO2

if you've only ever had springers I would suggest you get an S410, not sure what the mag size is but reckon its at least 10 if not 12...thats a lot of fun in itself.

these fun guns, they "look great", they look "fun" (which they are) but they can only plink and that can quickyl wear off if you want to target shoot paper at 40-50m or use it for hunting.

I really wish I could just zap you over here to Luxembourg and you could go wild with the cx4, then try the 850, you would soon see all the points I've mentioned before, think the 850 is a good middle ground but if you've already got the cash above that range I'd seriously put it towards a PCP, a second-hand S410 in .177

since buying my first PCP, I know its the only thing I will ever get in the future...least til there is some sort of technology revolution:p. Save for one, its cheaper long-term and far superior to springers/CO2

I went springer - CO2 - PCP......in retrospect I'd have been better off not buying 2 CO2 rifles and 3 CO2 pistols but putting it towards a good PCP.

although just thinking about the U.K. legal limit, I'd probably go for the 16J 850 til I had my FAC, think its a tragedy seeing guys with a Rapid S being restricted to 12 ft/lbs....its like being given a ferrari and told to keep it under 30mph

17. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Just recieved a reply from my local gun shop - a few days ago (before this thread was strated) I emailed them, asking if they could order one in for me to collect.

Tony tells me that the CX4 isn't even legal in the UK, which must be wrong as I've seen the Crosman Nightstalker in shops here - the two are much the same, both are semis.

Knowing more about the CX4 I won't chase that up.

The problem with getting a PCP is just the price for me, I'd have to get all the charging equipment as well - probably taking me over £600, and this is all of my money - I'm not really prepared to spend that much on one thing!

Not sure what to do now. I will have a look at the 850 Airmagnum, and consider it.

18. sirok

sirok Guest

the nightstalker is not a replica of any real firearm to my knowledge, the Cx4 is an exact replica of the real thing so it will be illegal for any retailer to sell a replica in accordance with the 2006 VCR act...that being said the site I quote the sterling price above for it was .co.uk....dunno

Anyhow the following is a link to a 2nd hand logun S-16 that perhaps doesn't look like a "traditional" rifle, part of your criteria and its being sold for 300 quid...a tad over what you'd be paying for a Cx4.

http://www.airgunbb$.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251707

link won't work as I get asterix's if I post the real one, so I've changed the s to a dollar sign.....

I have no idea how this rifle performs, just trying to illustrate that a 2nd hand PCP is available at a reasonable price, sure you could pick up a 2nd hand pump, tank quite cheap too.

How much have you got to spend in total?

19. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I suppose I've got about £600+ but I don't want to go over £300 if I can help it.

I'm not sure what to do, so I think I'll leave it and do some research or something.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and help.

20. Whitey1234

Whitey1234 Member

Have you got a local club?

some have filling equipment available for clud members thereby allowing you shoot without the initial outlay on charging kit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.