1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Benjamin / Crosman Trail NP Pistol

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Mike C, May 12, 2014.

1. Mike C

Mike C Member

I understand these pistols will soon be available in blighty so as I have one I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

View attachment 96116

So a quick overview.
    .177 cal only, nitro piston (gas ram), amidextrous gripped, break barrel pistol. The main sales pitch is this is the 1st gas rammed pistol.
    As I've been away from airguns the past 15 years I find this incredible! I managed to get a UK mag and was stunned to see manufactures spouting about their latest revolutionary gas ram rifle. I seem to remember Theoben inventing them in the 80's and I had an HW90 in the late 90's.
    So small rant at the stagnant airgun technology growth over!

So its got Crosman's Nitro piston fitted and very nifty it is too. These are I believe going to be priced at £120. That pitches it into a pretty competitive market I guess. However these sell for 80 bucks stateside so before I talk about quality it's worth remembering how much they sell for in their home market and how much export trade is ripped off. I am not in UK currently but paid the equivalent of £120 in my extremely limited sports shop, so it won't just be rip off Britain paying over the top.

Just a note, I didn't read any reviews until after I purchased the pistol. If you check out google (and I suggest you do) you will find a very mixed reception.
    One reason i'm putting this little review in, is that I will address the issues that have really frustrated some buyers. Me included to start with.

So from pic 1 you can see the pistol is a tradional cylinder action and break barrel. The handle is a one piece synthetic affair that provides grips and covers the action.

View attachment 96117

Now stripped you can see the structure. The grips have a militarized texture and are of an average size. They are ambidextrous. Personally I would have liked to see removeable grips so you could upgrade (a la 2240) to handed grips of a different material and style Ie supportive target type. In practise though they are comftable enough.

View attachment 96118

Here you can see the quality of the cylinder finish and blueing. It's pretty good for an $80 gun.
    And also the rear sight. I will talk about the sighting a bit more later, but the quality of the rear sight was beyond what I expected. The adjustments are very positive and hold a zero. The sight plate has green Tru-Glo dots. This is new to me and I am unsure about it. Seems every manufacturer is fitting them so Crosman are following fashion. I would have liked the notch to be less wide but it has to accomodate an enormous foresight! Conveniently the rear sight sits on a 11mm dovetail. So if iron sights aren't your thang then you can remove the rear sight and afix the optics of your choice.
    The action is secured by 4 screws to the handle. Once you remove the spring clip retained safety catch the action simply pulls off. Very easy for cleaning and servicing.

View attachment 96119

Barrel, nicely blued and rifled. There is no slack between the breech and grips and it opens and closes with a satisfying mechanical clunk. Time will tell on the longevity of fit. I have seen mention of some pistols suffering barrel droop, which required a bit more torque on the breech jaws to alleviate. A case of quality control and check in shop if you can.

View attachment 96120

Theres the breech and you can see the monstrosity of a foresight! This has a red Tru-Glo fibre optic and hence has the delicacy of a steel toecapped Doc Marten.
    I would have infinetely preferred a nice fixed steel blade but this is what you get. It gives a big fat glowy sight picture and when when trying to frame your target, make sure its big!
    You can fit other sights though and this will lead me into the 1st big complaint about this pistol.

View attachment 96122

The Trail NP complete with cocking aid. Note the fact that Crosman have promoted this gun with said cocking aid attached and that the instructions expicitly state you can leave it on to no effect.
    Cobblers!
    The cocking aid will cause the shots to drop by enough that the rear sight cannot compensate in elevation.
    That's right. You cannot zero the pistol if you leave the cocking aid on.
    A multitude of owners have done the following:
    Fit a scope/red dot. Job done iron sights begone.
    Removed the cocking aid and shot in happiness but used a rag etc over the foresight for cocking.
    Got a refund.

You can use the cocking aid though, it's just that Crosman got all confused it fitted it backwards and left it on.
    Behold.

View attachment 96124

To load weapon. Take manly sized cocking aid and shove the blunt end with big hole over the pointy end of the pistol. Note how good a fit it is.
    Cock the gun and remove cocking aid and toss it onto your bench/floor/hedge.
    Shoot with supplied iron sights and marvel at the fact you CAN zero your weapon!

Seriously this issue has really pee'd off alot of folk. Do the above and worry no more about it.

View attachment 96125

The next issue is the trigger.
    It has a 7lb pull. Thats like picking up a baby with your pinky!!
    However in practise it doesnt feel that heavy. The pull can be looong and unpredictable though.
    This is where it pays to take heed of the instructions. They state that the gun requires at least 250 rounds to break it in. Until then accuracy will suffer.
    True but also the trigger mechanism will start to bed in and get better.
    I am coming up to 1000 rounds and was not entirely satisfied. My trigger had a kind of 2nd stage in the form of a notch. I couldn't always acheive it though and follow through was not consistent.
    So I removed the trigger only,and noted how the adjustment screw affects the action. Yes there is an adjustment screw but it comes set to the lightest pull....
    You cannot lighten it anymore.
    My solution was a small blob of Moly grease over the trigger and sears.
    It's really smooth now and much nicer to shoot. I reckon with more use it wil improve.
    It's not light but it is workable. However Crosman realy should address this and make it lighter. Even the trigger in a cheapo Crosman 357 is better!

Now onto shooting the Trail NP. Let me first announce I am no pistol marksman. The last pistol I had was 20 years ago and that was a Webley Tempest. It was great for banging tent pegs in! Before that a GatGun.
    So this is what the Trail NP is about. A low enough price to attract people to have a go with a pistol, and enough quality not to discourage them.

View attachment 96127

OK now you have wiped your tears away from laughing....:eek:

10 shots at 10m freehand. I have compared with a Crosman 357. For me this shows that my practise is starting to pay off and a group is starting to emerge.
    The flyers are down to poor trigger control which maybe attributed to the weight of pull.(and my ability at present)
    The 357 looks like a shotgun blast!!

In practise the Trail NP is a fairly heavy pistol. It's weight is top and to the barrel. A two handed grip is not mandatory but stops you shaking after 3 rounds!
    If you scroll up you can see why I mentioned about lack of grip choice. A more supportive handed grip would improve the weight distribution.

As it is a gas ram the cocking and firing cycle is superb. It is really smooth, the recoil is minimal and the retort is extremely neighbour friendly.
    You can get into a nice routine with the cocking aid and sent some lead down range. There is no mechanical twang and cocking force is very easy. I really enjoy this pistol for plinking.

Being .177 the velocity feels perfect for 10m. It will penetrate one side of a thick soup tin. I have seen figures of 4ft/lb and chrono checks on other more scientific reviews that I would agree with with respect to 'feel'.

View attachment 96129

So in conclusion for an $80 pistol I really rate it. For £120 I am not disappointed. It is not a 10m olympic target pistol. It is not a finely built replica.
    It IS a good old fashioned garden plinker that is as good as you are. I have seen target grouping tests from rested positions etc but for me thats not what this is about. When I feel I have outgrown the accuracy offered by this pistol then it's time to outlay a significant amount of money on a competition piece.
    When I feel I want something to look at and feel and admire I'll look at high end replica's.
    If I want to practise my pistol target shooting or kill some can's then I have my box of budget shooters that put a grin on my face.

There you have it. Another midrange pistol with some issues that are overcome by it's beautiful firing cycle.
    Now if Crosman can put their nitro piston into a more expensive chassis then i'm interested. In the meantime this will do nicely.

Mike

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. Mike C

Mike C Member

Been doing a bit more target practise. Weaver stance at 10m and my grouping is improving. I think it's down to the trigger action smoothing out thanks to the moly.
    A mate has been trying it and although he shakes like he has Parkinsons, he's also getting pretty good.
    I also tested it back to back with my Crosman 357. No comparison the 357 is a blunderbus compared and MUCH louder. A breakbarrel and C02 make a nice compliment though. One for wadcutting and one for can killing.

3. mitchell5

mitchell5 Engaging Member

Do you happen to know the diameter of the outer barrel? Is it 15mm? Tried measuring it with a measuring tape :)

4. c96

c96 Donator

I got one of these last year. Ok its not a target pistol and the triguer has stated in a earlier thread is a tad hard but have to say I like it, more than adequate for some plinking and its accurate enough used with a two hand hold. Mine works very well with Crossman Domes and allso Air Arms/ Jsb domes.

5. mitchell5

mitchell5 Engaging Member

I think that because the americans were so overly critical of the first production run of this pistol it has turned away many would be buyers. Now, 2 years on I think that the issues that plagued the early pistols are largely rectified and the gun thats available today is more like it was originally intended to be.

It's a crackin wee air pistol, highly recommended

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015