1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Being ready to fire

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Scope.22, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Scope.22

Scope.22 Engaging Member

Hi all, relatively new to this...

Something I was thinking about, when hunting and you're not sure you're going to get a shot, do you have your barrel broken ready to insert a pellet, or wait with a pellet already insterted? Say if a pellet was already inserted and you'd just need to pump, if you didn't get a shot, would you pump then fire to discharge rather than leave the pellet in the barrel? I'm guessing it isn't a good idea to leave the pellet in the barrel, not just for safety reasons alone?

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

My Ultra allows me to have a pellet in the barrel but not have the gun cocked so I can 'prime' the gun when ready,I then discharge my gun before leaving the permission.

With springers,I just cock,load and flick the safety on,discharging the gun when leaving.

3. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

If a pellet is in the barrel then the gun counts as being loaded. So illegal to have in a public place!

4. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

Actually the 2003 (I think) amendment doesn't make a distinction between loaded and unloaded on an air rifle. If you haven't got a valid reason to have it in a public place.

Anyway, on your permission, keep it cocked loaded and ready (safety on if present), but you have to work on your gun handling safety. Never point the barrel in an unsafe direction even if it unloaded, or you think it is. Discharge or decock if you are climbing over things!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  5. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Trust me there is a hell of a distinction between having a loaded gun in a public place as opposed to having an unloaded gun in a public place. Why do you think you are supposed to empty all magazines of pellets in a PCP before transporting it? Why? Because if a pellet is in the magazine it counts as being loaded and you have a loaded weapon in a car!

6. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

I fully agree with Moley on this!!!

7. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Check BASC or Local Fire Arms Web site for it in Writing

VCR Act coveres a Air Gun in a Public Place or being Transported without a Valid reason

BOB/R

8. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

All perfectly true, and it would be easier to explain/have a valid reason for an unloaded gun rather than a loaded one. But the law doesn't actually make a distinction.

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You are fine just to remove the magazine from the gun there is no need to empty pellets out of the mag for it to be classed as unloaded.
    Cheers Andy

10. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

Air rifles code of practise "Revised revised July 2013 in association with ACPO" clearly states -

Whenever you are in a public place you should carry the

rifle in a gun cover and always ensure that it is unloaded

and not cocked.

Link :- http://basc.org.uk/cop/air-rifles-code-of-practice/
    Then on there you can download the full version on PDF.

11. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Like you say you are going to struggle to find a valid reason why you are in a public place with a loaded gun.

I am sure the police will see a loaded and an unloaded airrifle every differently.
    It's a little strange the way the law is worded now isn't it.
    Cheers Andy

12. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

Know what you mean, the police now view Air Guns the same as Licenced fire arms, quote below from Code of practice for Air guns:_

The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more
    powerful guns for which you need a licence – they are all classed as firearms. This means that any offence you commit
    can carry a very heavy penalty – and there are at least 38
    different offences. Following this code will help you to keep on
    the right side of the law, but, if you have any doubt, seek
    advice from BASC (www.basc.org.uk) or your local police
    firearms licensing department.

13. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

When I'm hunting the gun is cocked & loaded with the safety on unless it's the Airsporter or similar which doesn't have one, when I'm moving the barrel is kept downwards & if I don't have a shot I decock it or shoot into the ground, I have disabled the occasional anti-bear trap over the years to allow full control over the weapon, the risks are obvious & that's up to you.

At present I have my eye on a rabbit that's colonised a neighbours garden, they are keen gardeners & just got their vegetables in so are very keen to see it's demise. At present it laagers up during the day between 2 old timbers & I could get an easy shot if I took it from the road, but I suppose I would have to get a permission from the Council to do that & I just can't face the hassle - risk assessments, jumping through hoops etc. etc. so I'll just have to wait until it's up & about & get it then. In the last couple of weeks it seems to be extending it's range & has turned in our garden 3 or 4 times, it's days are numbered...

14. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

Where in the original post is "public place " mentioned???

15. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

Yes your right :)

16. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

Problem with road side shooting is as follows:-
    It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle
    within 50 feet of the centre of a highway (which consists of or comprises a carriageway)

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I don't think it's entirely illegal,its against the law if doing so would alarm,endanger or cause harm to a person using the highway;

If your garden is within 50feet of a public right of way its illegal to shoot if your shooting causes a user of said public right of way to be injured, interrupted or endangered.

18. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

I don't so I would stick to the 50 feet rule, but I di think you may very be right thou.

19. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

Should have said as follows, edit would not allow me to change (bloody pc lol).

I don't know so "I" would stick to the 50 feet rule, but I do think you may very well be right thou.

20. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

Loaded and ready to fire when stalking; loaded with safety engaged when moving around on private land; unloaded before leaving private land.