1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Being Fat!

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by gargloit, Jun 13, 2018.

1. gargloit

gargloit Post Whore

Just a rant really. I'm a fat bugger, OK? Six feet tall and I weigh 20 stone, which at 68 years of age is starting to catch up on me. Let's get one thing clear, I know I eat too much, but I don't drink and I don't smoke.

Being overweight is one of the biggest health care issues in the country. Diabetes, heart disease, liver function, you name it. It kills people. It's every bit as serious as alcoholism or drug abuse. Possibly more so with all the crap that food manufacturers are allowed to put into the crap the sell (and, OK, I buy)

A couple of things drove it home to me abut this problem so I decide to go see the quack an talk it over with him. I book an appointment at the first available time, in two weeks after making the call! I tell him the problem and he basically tells me I have to eat less. I damned well know that FFS! He rather grudgingly suggests that I speak to one of the diabetic nurses and/or some weight loss advisor they have on file. Bugger all help there then.

So, make an appointment with the diabetic nurse. Next available slot is a month away! The dietician appointment is only two days away but it means time off work. Otherwise, bearing in mind I only work Fridays and Saturdays, is a fortnight away.

Here's the rub. I am almost certain that the dietician will tell me I already know. The diabetic nurse may be a little more helpful, but I'm not so sure.

This weight issue is going to shorten my life, and is damaging my current quality of life in many ways yet all I seem to receive in the way of 'help' is suggestions that I eat less and exercise more! I £$%^& know that! But when you see someone standing outside a hospital holding his drip stand in one hand and a fag in the other, or an alcoholic knowing his life is going down the pan even as he reaches for the bottle, or a gambling addict throwing his house and family away at the bookies, there's always some (swear word) who tells them to stop smoking, drinking, or gambling as if it's easy. Perhaps it was for them, but that doesn't mean it will be for everyone.

I gave up smoking from 30-60 a day Dunhill Superkings, going cold turkey, and managed that. The hardest thing I've ever done. I can't give up food though, and if I went cold turkey I'd just eat the whole bloody bird!

Anyway, the fight is on, and I'm on my own I now realise. (swear word) to the lot of them, I'll do it this time or literally die trying.

2. Tiger36

Tiger36 Well-Known Member

It's about changing what you eat and building up your exercise/activities, try weight watchers for support it isn't as bad as you might think!

3. hughlle

hughlle Keyboard Hero

Thought about becoming vegan? You'd be able to eat all the food you could get your hands on and you'd still lose weight :D (although eating twigs and leaves might not enhance your quality of life)

4. Plinkerbell

Plinkerbell Engaging Member

My brother had a weight issue he was 18 stone and 5ft 10 three years ago he changed his diet and joined a gym which he uses daily, and he started training Mauy Thai,

Today he is 12stone ripped and has a resting heart rate of 48, also he has a 6-0 Maury Thai record and had his most recent fight this previous Friday at the o2! I couldn’t be more proud of him

I guess my point is that change is possible, I wish you the best on your journey to better yourself it’s never to late,
    good luck fellow infidel :thumb:

audi swift likes this.
  5. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

Willpower Steve, If you can kick fags you can make another 'lifestyle change' can't you?

We have a thread about it already, come and join in, we're chatting and supporting each other.

It takes about 6 weeks to change habits, if you can hold out that long you will be golden, I stopped biting my nails after a 40+ year habit of doing it, that was very hard!

Food I'm struggling with because of deep rooted emotional problems as a kid but I'm getting there day by day, I'm working on one thing at a time, eventually I'll have it cracked.

There doesn't seem to be much help about for overweight people, I went to weight management clinic for a few years, after the first few sessions I gleaned all they had to teach, it was the same old BS thereafter with the doctor telling me to take up Yoga or Tai-Flipping-Chi, despite him knowing I can hard Flipping walk - the tw@t!

Devonair likes this.
  6. Trampilot

Trampilot Post Whore

Portion control is key. You can never burn off all the crap food in the gym. It's a fallacy to think you can. I have to stop myself at work from going over to the "fat table" and lecturing them about the amount of cake and takeaways they eat followed by "yeah but I'm going to the gym..." It doesn't work like that. You will fail.

If your diet is ok but just too much (which was my case) then that makes it easier. You can even weigh out your portions before cooking them if that helps. It takes about a month or two for a habit to form. After that your body realises it doesn't need as much.

At the age of 68 I'd be gentle going in with the exercise. Longer and longer walks are good. Swimming is good. Nothing over complicated. Ditch all the gimmick stuff.

There was a documentary last week on BBC called The Truth About Carbs. Watch it - there is a special section on diabetes.

7. gargloit

gargloit Post Whore

I'm not that much into politics I'm glad to say. Neither do I want to define my life in terms of what I don't do. :p

8. Treecreeper

Treecreeper Donator

You could try the tapeworm diet o_O

Tiger36 likes this.
  9. Wacko74

Wacko74 Engaging Member

I feel your pain mate
    I give myself a kick up the backside earlier this year, joined the local gym and started swimming
    Being totally honest I b*llock myself weekly about not making time to go swimming and wasting the membership money

Keep trying mate
    and Trampilot is correct in saying it is all about forming the rite habit
    give it time and it will become a habit being healthy

Now I'm going to a dark room and having a stern word with myself :thumb:

10. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Never particularly had a problem with weight, but definitely put more on over the winter. I am lucky enough to have a big garden that takes a lot of time and switch to cycling come the spring and find my fitness improves big time and the stodge comes off. Never a fan of 'fad' diets or exercise regimes as my knees can't take it ... a lot is state of mind and needs sticking to for the first 2 to 3 weeks, after which it becomes normal and quite enjoyable as your body adapts

11. steevie dan

steevie dan Keyboard Hero

Two years ago I was in the same boat so to speak 5' 8" 18st 1lb 44" waist, except I had the added worry of being diagnosed with diabetes 2, Doctor put me on a 700k a day diet which I only managed for a week. By the time the week was over I didn't have the energy to get out of bed and thought I was going to starve to death, so I had to go back to eating some food just enough to give me some energy. I carried on like that for a further three months by which time my weight was down to 11st 13lb and blood tests since then have all been within the normal range. I do eat more now and weigh 12st 10lb 32" waist and have done for some time probably since Christmas. My food portions are probably around half what I used to eat and much more healthy I have cut out all the crap I used to eat fats and sugars. The first few months were murder but worth it in the end I have not been able to give up smoking yet but I do need to and find it very difficult to stop. Weight loss is possible and can be done, please try.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    UnionJackJackson and Plinkerbell like this.
  12. sidney

sidney Post Whore

Only willpower will get you where you want to be, but for gods sake stay well clear of all those blood-sucking weight-watchers clubs and the like. My Mrs was there for years and the crap advice they give has to be seen to be believed. Apparently things like pasta, rice and baked spuds are all ok to eat, despite them being high carb sports fodder and, in short, fattening. Youll never find anyone who's successfully finished their diet programs.

13. Tiger36

Tiger36 Well-Known Member

I'll take 2 lol

Treecreeper likes this.
  14. audi swift

audi swift Donator

Live in Stoke On Trent. But i visit Bromsgrove.
    I hear what you're saying, I lost just over 2 stones in a year... nice & stable not done much really just cut down on bread etc & had a few of these in the morning Tesco ultra slim shakes.
    Just cut down on the so called bad stuff BUT don't cut some bad food totally off that you enjoy or you will want it more & more!
    Just take your time & aim for a long team weight loss it be nice to drop & keep off a stone per month.......

Oh replace some meals with fruit too ( I'm not a big fruit lover so I will only eat apples \ oranges \ bananas ) or have a nice dinner & a light tea or a light dinner & a nice heavy tea just balance it out over the day \ evening. I don't drink booze these days & have not for over 10 years now! ok i might have a bottle of beer once every 3 or 4 years so i drink a lot of water tap water & some bottle water with kia ora squash. Plus I don't smoke & I've never smoked.

However whatever try to do to lose weight still enjoy life, so I wish you all the best has I love my food always have always will no matter what!
    I just balance my food out per day now & plan my days meals & carry on as normal, so far its working slowly, but I'm not putting it back on what's a good thing :)

In fact I've just had for my dinner chips, gravy, mixed kebab! along with some side salad & then for tea I've got a nice roast chicken & veg that's my day balanced food wise.
    Tomorrow Tesco diet milkshake for breakfast then off the shooting range for a few hours, so for dinner a nice small salad with half pork pie & half scotch egg, followed by curry for tea with a small nan as bread etc is a big no no for me.

whoops sorry to carry on,,,,, must be the nice dinner I've just had :D oh well veg & chicken later yum yum.

Plinkerbell likes this.
  15. Devonair

Devonair Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit....

The only 'Diet' that works for me is Slimming World, a customer and his wife sold it to me on the forecourt, it was what he said; "Nick, I've never eaten so much food and I still lost weight". With them it's about how you prepare the food and what you eat but I still eat potatoes, meat, eggs, most of which have no limit. If I'm hungry I'm doing it wrong.

My wife joins and goes to the weigh ins and I just follow the idea of it (once you've done a few recipes you get the idea) and cook what I should and weigh myself (It's free) I don't loose as much each week as my wife, but I don't need to. You learn what treats you can eat and enjoy like marmite potatoes; coat small cubes of potatoe in marmite and roast, they are Syn free, so you can eat as many as you like. They're like twiglet flavour potatoes!

When we've lost the weight we ussually stick to the cooking ideas with a few treats and the weight stays off for a year, then we get out of it, put on a couple of stone (bit more for the wife!) and get back into it again two years later. Why can't I just not put it on?

mr rooney likes this.
  16. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

There is a program on ITV tonight, at least in this region, about diabetes and dieting. It is important to loose weight and to drop it sooner rather than later. It needs big changes and I think they are talking about a 600 calorie diet, but you can eat 600 calories a day and not be hungry. On the days I am supposed to eat 600 calories I always leave room for a glass of wine at 200 calories so only eat just less than 400 calories. I cut out bread and potatoes and now I have the occasional potato or slice of toast, but not the normal amount I used to eat.

Regards
    Peter

17. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

The very best of luck!

It isn’t easy, especially if you love yer grub just like me. It’s the carbs and sugar that’s the problem.

One thing, don’t go down the low fat road. Everything labelled low fat or fat free will be loaded with sugar.

Reduce your carb intake and get active, you will loose weight.

18. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

You are not on your own. Join fatfighters via the weight loss thread in general chit chat. Weigh in, and join in.

How you do it is up to you, but putting your weight in once a week can't be a bad start. My weigh in day is Thursday, so keep an eye out tomorrow.

Dave

19. gargloit

gargloit Post Whore

Watching to TV program on it tonight. It started off by saying that a cure for type 2 diabetes could save the NHS, such is the expense of it, £14 billion a year! A massively important issue for health and the economy and my GP just tells me to diet. Only after a moan at him did he grudgingly suggest a visit to the dietician. No money in curing and all the money is in 'treating'. Coincidence?

20. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

Maybe you need to change doctors, at my GP surgery we have a dedicated nurse for Diabetes and she couldn't have given more encouragement, but after I reversed mine she said that she was stunned because it had been only 3 months since my last blood test and when I was diagnosed with it and when I asked why she was stunned she said that most of the people she deals with who are diagnosed with type 2 either don't have any weightloss or it is minimal and would takes years to lose any significant weight at the rate they were going. She said two of her patients had died of heart failure, I don't see the point in being diagnosed with it and then do nothing or next to nothing, I am committed to losing weight and I won't stop until I get to my target weight later this year.

Regards
    Peter

Hiram and Stevie Darling like this.