1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Being A Gear Tart and OCD

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tan, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Tan

Tan Donator

Hello.

Since I've had my first PCP (December 2012), I've started to become fussier than normal when it comes to gear and having a mild level of OCD. Well, I say mild, but to others it can be seen as extreme.

Some people I've noticed will buy rifles and gear that is used, or well-used and it won't bother them. Now I know sometimes this can be due to budget cos not everyone can afford things brand new, but that's not always the case. I am not saying that's wrong, I just wanted to point out my weird and erratic behaviour when it comes to shooting purchases and ask if I share it with other members of the forum?

Some selected examples:

Small nicks on stocks make me feel faint
    Scratches on screws exposing metalwork under black finish destroys my soul
    Poor fitting of stud screws (especially on the butt) might be the death of me one day

So yeah, I can be pretty difficult, often causing myself a lot of internal conflict.

T.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I feel the same way mild ocd means I'm not happy when others would be very happy perfect example recently bought a lefthand prosport used as they are no longer available in a lefthand stock new only a few minor marks on the stock but I want it perfect and would be willing to spend the same again just to get it so.

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I, like you will not buy a used air gun, as in my mind, I associate used with abused and worn. Bob.

4. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

An interesting view guys.

My view is that the gun is a tool and to be used as such. As long as the main working parts are working as they should be that's good enough for me, cosmetic marks and scratches are an occupational hazard. I do however like to keep on top of the servicing and maintenance that way all should be ok at the business end of the gun.

I'm the same with my bikes (Mountain & Motor bikes) Id rather buy something that possibly looks tatty but has been well serviced and maintained, rather than an ornament .

Does that make sense.?? It's good to know that we are all different.

PJ

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Join the club.. wear I can handle and sometimes welcome as it adds character. Damage makes me sad :(

6. Dusk2Dawn

Dusk2Dawn Well-Known Member

pmsl.......when I ring people up about a rifle first I ask is it mint.....I get the reply yes so off I go flying down the motorway....dump the car outside there house...they show me the rifle then I start to feel light headed when I see marks in the bluing...alarm bells start ticking...then when I see the stock....looks like they had a chisel on it.......I start to get panic attacks at this stage......I think the word mint is over used in gun terms.....some people's mint is a totally different standard to mine......;)

believe me fella u are not alone when it comes to buying shooting equipment..

7. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Im terrible for it.

What I call mint and what some people call mint is a totally different world.

I worked in gunmaking, then engineering/tool/mould making since leaving school, and have spent 15 years polishing metal, and pegging pinpricks and rectifying scratches and machine marks, had I have taken a mould I made into inspection with so much as a pinprick sized mark I would have been disciplined.

Most of the last 15yrs of work has involved me stood at a vice 8-10 hours per day filing polishing and engraving metal or cast iron, often with a large magnifying glass in my face.

And when a gun was produced, it went through a 100 point check where someone spent all day going over it with a fine tooth comb, but that's the standards you need to have when the going rate started about £55k per gun.

So its left me with a really bad case of OCD, it rubs off on every part of life, your cars have to be polished once a week, the kitchen and bathroom have to be spotless, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Im just starting to let my standards slide since my accident as I don't spend time with a manager breathing down my neck everyday.

But I would still have a gun reblued if need be if it got so much as a hairline scratch, If I get so much as a scuff on a stock I will refinish it straight away, down to the bare wood, Its just got to be mint.

Before my accident I was terrible with my motorbikes I wont go into it, but real OCD no joking.

I think you will find people in life the total opposites, I mean I have a mate who hasn't even cleaned the bore his shotgun or centrefires since he has owned them, but hes is out stalking deer every few months, I mean one if his barrel isn't clean he could maim the deer with a bad shot, and also worse it could literally go bang in his face one day, but he hasn't got a care in the world just expects it to keep shooting where he aims, best part about it he takes the P*ss out of me for having Ocd, but when it comes to guns of anykind, you can never be too fussy as your equipment is taking lives if you hunt and any animal deserves the respect to have your best efforts to do it cleanly and quickly as possible.

8. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

This is great, its fantastic to see the level of potential OCD. I sometimes look at items that are "Mint" only to find that it's the visible parts that are mint and not the actual parts that really matter...Perhaps this is why there is such a difference in the term MINT and what we as individuals expect.

As I've mentioned, for me its a tool to be used but on the other hand it has to be looked after and that means clean and serviceable. Gone are my days of weapon inspection and presenting arms to an over excited DS. I no longer have to worry about a "Dead Man's Click" as the rabbits are not going to shoot back :)

Great thread by the way..:up:

PJ

9. eagle1980

eagle1980 Engaging Member

I don't mind buying a rifle in a used condition so long as the sellers description is accurate and honest.

Actual damage or fudged modifications then I'll walk away but I always expect a rifle in a used condition to bear some scars and marks so long as everything works then great, besides it makes a good way of knocking the price down a little ! :D

If someone says to me "this item is Mint condition" then to me that would be the same condition as when it come out of the box.

10. Picklehoffer

Picklehoffer Ministry of Foolishness

I'm not too bothered about cosmetic things, the important things for me are; Is it safe? Is it well maintained? Do I feel happy to use it for it's intended purpose? No OCD here, but I do have high standards. I like my guns to be well presented, but I'm not obsessive about it.

11. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Only gun I class as a tool is my cammo semi auto, and I bought it as just that, don't get me wrong I cant fight it I have to clean it everytime its used but I lay this one in the hedgerows all year around.

Ive used it so much though a few mm of camo is wearing thin of the edge of the pistol grip, Im fighting it and fighting it to let it go but Im going to be honest, I was only sat looking at it yesterday thinking ummm I wonder if the camo is covered under warranty:eek: anyway I cant talk about it much more Im going to have a melt down:D

12. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

Hi,

I am glad there are others like myself. I have recently returned to air rifle shooting, as I have retired and also to support my grandson in the start of his shooting activities.
    In the past 3 weeks I have purchased 2 new Weihrauch rifles, an HW99 for grandson and an HW77 for myself. Out of the box both had slotted screw damage due to the factory using the wrong sized screwdrivers! I complained to the factory and they promised to "review their assembly". No offer for a set of screws though......
    Fortunately replacement screws are readily available on the net and I will make the proper sized drivers.
    I have a collection of British military rifles, all un-issued which took 40 years, all perfect. The best "out of the box" guns I have ever bought are Miroko built Browning shotguns.
    Good shooting to everybody.

Peter.

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I spent a full week doing tiny little corrections, to a browning I just bought and it was over £4 grand lol

The chequering at miroku has suffered recently, don't know what they are playing at, Ive had to recut the borders always around each panel on the fore end, and refinish it.

Not good on a gun that cost nearly 6 grand new, Ive looked at others in the shops and they are the same, some worse than mine.

I had a browning gamegun I bought new when I was younger and that was perfect.

I don't know if its because its done by hand but beretta get theirs perfect but its lazer cut.

Either way Somebody at miroku needs sacking lol

14. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

im terrible at describing gun conditions I once sold one on here to a forum member he drove about 150 miles to get here I described it as good used condition as that was how I personally thought of its condition
    he got here and declared it was not :( he described it as MINT lol

15. NitroJoe

NitroJoe Engaging Member

I feel sorry for people who fret over a a little ding in a stock or scratch on a screw head (on a hunting rifle). I used to shoot with a guy who was like it and he would be wincing all day as he thought he was about to scratch it somehow or would run home if he spotted a rain cloud. I like to enjoy my guns, they're as battle scarred as I am, not deliberately but because it happens regardless. I don't want to be carrying a baby around the whole shooting trip. They still account for hundreds of quarry and get regular maintenance all the same. Seems like it must be hard work for these guys to enjoy them.

I will always buy second hand if I think it represents value, and new, if the price difference is too low. This isn't because I can't afford to buy new all the time but because money doesn't grow on shiney, unblemished gun stocks.

Horses for courses though, mine are tools not show/historical pieces.

16. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

My guns have to be mint can't have a mark on them. The tiniest mark drives me mad but I do use them and in all weathers so all I do is I use it until it gets marked then trade it in for a nice newshiney one atb

17. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

I agree, it's a bit weird, but no it's not erotic in the least.

Dave

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I like beaten up old sh1tters that need a bit of TLC; a rifle is for using. I'm no oil painting, so my rifles don't need to be either. They need to be accurate and predictable rather than pretty.

19. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

I can relate to what you said, before I got my first PCP I was looking around the net and one guy had a at44 for sale, he described the gun as "mint condition and looked after" but when looking at the gun under the scope mounts was brown and other places brown... And I mean brown as in rusted!

Cheers,Greg.

20. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Oh my . I'm a weirdo too, my view of mint is does it look like it's just come out the box, all my rifles, motor bikes, push bikes etc are all mint with the exception of my S400 that has a mark/indentation that only I can see where I tightened the bipod on a tad tight but to me the S400 is a tatty old beast now that'll never see the light of day, the lads take the mickey out of me cause every time I'm home off the motorbike she's up on the paddock stands and cleaned within an inch of her life, now don't get me wrong these aren't just show pieces they are all used heavily but I do treat them all like they are wrapped in cotton wool and I would describe my rifles as mint to my definition... Apart from that invisible mark on the S400... I'll lose sleep over that now tonight... If it would show on a picture I'd post one to show my level of OCD.