1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Beginner Question: Scope and Parallax

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by nheather, Feb 24, 2008.

1. nheather

nheather Well-Known Member

My 13yo son and I shoot with a BSA Meteor - plinking and target shooting in the garden, nothing more serious.

We would like to add a scope but I am a little bewildered by the choice.

Given the type of shooting and the rifle we use, I was hoping to keep the price to £50 or below including mounts.

From what I can tell, this means a fixed parallax scope. I understand the science of parallax but I'm not entirely certain what it means in practice. For instance, I have seen scopes which are factory set at 35 yards - we shoot at less than this, so does this mean that the scope will be inaccurate?

What is the benefit of having a bigger objective lens (32mm, 40mm 50mm etc.). I assume that it will give a brighter picture but is that it?

Also, what about zoom. The scopes that I have been looking at are typically 4-9x - is that a good range to go for?

Would I be best going for a single piece mount, given the rifle is a springer?

And finally, there seems to be more and more illuminated scopes? What is the benefit of these? ARe they gimmicks or are they becoming the norm?

I'd appreciate any advice or guidance.

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Just had a look on JSR and they are doing a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif] Nikko Stirling Gold Crown Airking Mil Dot 3-9x42 WA PX Adj Scope + 1 Piece Mount for £44.95
    http://www.jsramsbottom.com/cgi-bin/jsr.cgi/dynamiclink?a=1&b=0&z=0&aP=0&source=/SM/SM_nikko_all.HTM

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Here's a review http://site.airgundepot.com/blog1/2007/04/nikko_stirling_39x42_ao.html

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The scope is spring gun rated, PX adjustable (Basically a focus ring) that allows you to focus down to 5 yards.
    A scope that is PX set to 100 yards would have a blurry sight picture at 20 yards.
    Illuminated reticules are for shooting in low light conditions dawn/dusk just make it easier to see your reticule.

The above scope i would say is ideal for your budget.
    [/FONT]

3. nheather

Thanks for the tip off.

Seems almost too good to be true, especially as JSR import their own scopes

So how come JSR sell the Nikko Stirling for less than their own brand - is it a reflection on the quality?

Cheers,

Nigel

4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Don't know how he does it, but the nikko brand have been around for a long time.
    I have owned a nikko diamond and a nikko nighteater although higher priced than the gold crown they were excellent scopes, i only sold them to fund buying a daystate airwolf. :)

5. nheather

Thanks again - just ordered one.

Cheers,

Nigel

6. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

zoom= how big you make the target (you may think this makes hitting it easier but it shows wabble more)

paralax= where the scope is tuned to show a clear picture.

iluminated reticule= not really handy for plinking, used for low light shooting and lamping

large objective lenses= how much light they gather, i have a 50mm objective lens but i shoot in low light situations, for plinking you will probably do it in broad daylight so no need to get a monster scope

enjoy your new scope

any problems or questions you know where we are;)

7. nheather

Arrived this morning - next day delivery even though I used the free P&P option.

Very impressed with the service. The scope looks very nice too though I need to wait to the weekend for some daylight hours to try it out.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

8. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

yep daylight helps:p

have fun, your welcome to add to other posts too by the way dont be a stranger;)

9. nheather

Just had another look at the scope and I've noticed the distance scale on the focus ring is loose. It pushes neatly on but moves easily on the zoom ring. I can see the dried glue where it was fixed but the joint has obviously broken.

It seems like quite a lot of bother to send it back for replacement if it can be glued back on.

What should I do - return it or glue it back on myself?

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  10. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

id send it back because if you glue it, and something else goes wrong with the scope they could get abit funny if there are clear signs you have tampered with it.

pete.

11. nheather

Yep, wise words.

I've tried ringing JSR but either get 'no answer' or a message 'mobile phone is switched off'.

Will try sending an email.

Cheers,

Nigel

12. nheather

Very nice email back from JSR sent quickly by return.

More than happy to accept the return, provide a replacement and refund my return postage.

Excellent service indeed.

Cheers,

Nigel

13. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

they are good i bought a pair of flip ups cope covers from them and they broke, the took them back and replaced them even though i had painted them cammo colour:D

14. nheather

I feel such an idiot!

I got a Nikko Stirling 3-9x42 for my BSA Meteor from JSR. When it arrived I noticed it was slightly damaged.

JSR were fantastic and asked me to return it straight away for replacement. I did this without any further checks.

The replacement arrived today and all excited I got my Meteor out to fit the scope. It was when I offered the mount upto the dovetail that I noticed the fatal flaw.

With the scope mount as far back in the dovetail as it will go, the front of the scope stops the breech from opening. I did some measurements and even if I moved the scope as far back on the mount as possible the front will still foul the breech. The scope is physically too big for my meteor.

I now have to return it for refund.

I could kick myself for not checking when I had the first one and I feel bad for messing JSR about.

Cheers,

Nigel

15. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Would it have worked just with taller scope mounts??

16. nheather

Taller scope mounts - possibly, just.

Rear dovetail to breech = 190mm

Rear of mount to front of scope (normal, central fitting) = 210mm

Rear of mount to front of scope (scope back as far as possible) = 198mm

So even with the scope pushed back as far as possible I still need to find another 8mm.

Also in this position the eypiece is way back towards the butt which will make the firing position (eye relief) awkard.

I think I need to face the fact that the scope is physically too big for the Meteor.

I think this is the omen that I need to ugrade my rifle ;)

Cheers,

Nigel