1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Beginner Help

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Kyle Martin, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Kyle Martin

Kyle Martin Active Member

Hi, my name is Kyle , I’m completely new to this, been thinking about giving it a try for a while. I'm looking into getting myself an Air rifle (one that doesn't require a licence). Gonna be looking at using this rifle to get a feel for the sport and do some target shooting. I'm looking at spending around the £100 mark and I'm open to buying 2nd hand if that's viable option (because of condition) if it means I'm getting a better rifle for the money.
    Thanks
    Kyle

2. hamza

hamza Posting Addict

Welcome.

If you want to just try it out find a local club that will rent you a rifle to use. Hopefully someone local to you will be able to recommend one.

If you’re set on buying, I’d get a secondhand HW30S for that budget. You’ll resell at the same price when it comes to it and it’s really nice rifle to shoot.

Reevo17 and Redcap 114 like this.
  3. Kyle Martin

Thanks that's a good idea for me to get a better fell for the sport. I'll find my nearest club.

I'll check out the HW30S too and see if I can find one second hand, especially if I'll be able to recoup money on selling it on in future if I decide to upgrade.

Cheers

4. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I'd go with the 30s too, at that price it's hit rock bottom & as said you can sell it on for the same if you keep it in good condition, also if you buy new for that price you're not getting an as good rifle & it'll then start to depreciate.
    The 30s will arguably shoot a whole lot better too.

Reevo17 likes this.
  5. hamza

hamza Posting Addict

£100 should buy you one in mint/new condition. I recently bought one for my nephew and paid £100 and that included the original box and in mint condition.

Stick up a wanted advert on here for one.

QuoVadis69 likes this.
  6. Kyle Martin

Yeh I'm thinking that's the case. I will start looking for one now, is there anything I need to be aware of when buying 2nd hand?
    Can the HW30S be fitted with a scope and is it something I can improve over time?
    Thanks

7. Kyle Martin

That's brilliant,
    Thanks so much for the help.

8. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

Welcome mate, to the forum and the sport.

The 30s is a great little gun, but keep in mind it is a junior rifle both in size and power. However I have one and it’s great fun for back garden shooting with open sights.

There’s very few decent budget springers out there, personally I would stay away from anything Gamo no matter how attractive they look.

Personally I’d kick off with either a Remington Express or Remington Pest Controller. Both are full size and power, should find one within budget and the good quality and accuracy of them will assist when you put a scope on.

Good luck

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  9. Kyle Martin

Also, What calibre is best in the HW30S?
    Thanks

10. mikeyhall1

In .22 as it’s a low powered gun it’s like pushing a slow fart out :eek:

Lev Levvin and The oil man like this.
  11. Kyle Martin

I mean I am quite a big guy, I'm 6 foot and big built, is a junior rifle gonna be a problem for me?

I quite liked the look of the Remington Express, is there much difference between the different versions?

12. Kyle Martin

Would it be the .177 with the Remingtons too?

13. mikeyhall1

I’m 6.2 and enjoy the 30 mate.

If you go for the Remington Express (I’ve had 2 of them) I preferred the standard wood stock version. All the actions (metal work) are the same.

14. mikeyhall1

With the Remington I’d happily go .22. Smoother to shoot than its .177 counter part.

DRAGONBAIT666 likes this.
  15. rich79

Yes the 30s is classed as a junior rifle but it's not too small, it's almost too good for kids, remember, it's easier to cock than a 12fpe rifle being around 8fpe so no arm ache, if you're not hunting then realistically you don't need full 12fpe power.
    Theres not much room inside a 30s so with internal mods I'd stick to a spit & polish of the internals, it should shoot fairly good from the box.
    I think Remingtons & Hatsans are designed for plus 12fpe limits so are alot heavier & have a shot cycle that's quite slow,

16. Kyle Martin

Ahhh right, so it's just down to my preference then wether to for the HW30S or the Remington.

Do you think with me being a complete beginner I should start with the HW30S and then move on the Remington?

17. Kyle Martin

So with me wanting it for a way in and practicing it's going to be easier and quicker to reload the HW30 for plenty or target practice?

18. rich79

I wouldn't say quicker as you're doing the same method but it won't wear you out plus the 30 is lighter, I'd say the build quality will be better too.

19. hamza

hamza Posting Addict

Despite having originally bought it for me, my nephew had to pry the HW30S out my hands.

If I hadn't decided to restore the old Relum I'd have probably bought one for myself too despite having other far more expensive rifles.

Never shot the Remis though so I can't compare.

20. Kyle Martin

Cheers pal