1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Beginner Budget Air Rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by daski, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:58 AM.

1. daski

daski Member

Hi All

So, I have decided I will try some shooting with an air rifle. I had a go long time ago but this was using some extremely poor quality rifle which my friends uncle had at his farm.

I want to buy something low budget and then if I like it we will see. My budget is around 200 pounds, from what I have seen it is not a lot :) but still gives few options.

After looking on internet I think I will go with https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/ - this is not an advert I have no idea where to buy - but it seems they sell what I am after within the budget.

I have already decided I want spring rifle. However I want an advice on the following and check if my assumption are correct:
    1. calibre - 0.177 vs .22 - as far I understand .22 gives a bit more power but less accuracy - is there really a lot of difference between these two?
    2. from 0.22 range - the choice is (for the reference):
    https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.u...-251/sort-by/price/sort-direction/asc/show/45
    3. on the brand - so the options are Stoeger, Hatsan, Gamo, BSA, Weihrauch - after looking at reviews it seems that Hatsan, Stoeger and Gamo - are quite same in quality (bad but ok for beginners) and BSA and Weihrauch are better however slightly more expensive, I think I will go with Stoeger in the end as a lot of people say customer support is best with them
    4. aiming - I want to have open sight view so Stoeger X20S S2 went out from the list as I think it only uses scope
    5. Stoeger X20S S2 Wood / Combo 3-9x40.AO is nice option but I have seen a lot of opinions that combo scopes are really bad within this price range and need adjusting every 20 shoots ... so I think it may be better if I buy open sight only - and then buy separate scope - as some people indicated
    6. on the material - my understanding is that wood is cool looking and preferred by a lot of people but requires more maintenance - so I think at this stage I am going with synthetic
    7. Stoeger F40 Underlever Wood / Combo 3-9x40.AO - this looks really nice and it is underlever so should be more accurate - however due to not best opinions I have seen and the way of loading I think I will skip on this one

So considering all of these points I think I will go with Stoeger X20 Synthetic / Open Sights and if I enjoy shooting then I can extend this by buying scope. Is my thinking correct? Maybe it is better to buy combo? Are these bundle scopes really so bad?

Sorry for long post, thanks :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    rabbitwrecker likes this.
  2. Zeroexpo123

Zeroexpo123 Engaging Member

I know nothing about the Stoeger you mention as I've never owned one.

What I have got & still own, though, are the SMK XS19, Hatsan 900x, and Crosman 2250XL, & I highly recommend them all as budget end Air Rifles.

Others worth consideration from the vast amount of great reviews I've read about them are the Remington Pest Controller, Remington Express, & the Hatsan Mod series.

3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 & 2019 Forum Nice Guy

Welcome mate,

Exciting times!

To help, stay away from Gamo, BSA and most SMK springer - the quality will disappoint you.

If you’re just target shooting, get a .177. Some springers shoot better in .22 as smoother to shoot but a .177 can sometimes only need a little more practice.

If I was in your shoes I’d look at the-

Remington Express Range
    SMK 19
    Remington Pest Controller - only available in .22
    Hatsan 55

Good luck buddy

ArticFX, wewuntbedruv and 32:1 like this.
  4. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I would forget a scope for now & try to make that £200 stretch all the way on the gun.
    A £200 SMK/Remington/Hatsan will be much better than anything with all the gunbag, pellets, scope, mount, pellet catcher thrown in.
    Try to get a fixed barrel model.

Mike Watkins likes this.
  5. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

Go to a gun club , try different guns. Do that a few times, if you like it. Buy a top end springer. That's my advise. Buying a cheap nasty thing may put you off completely.

Bunny-on-Bunny and Drake267 like this.
  6. Drake267

Drake267 Very Active

For £200 I’d go used all day long. You would get a used hw99 with a scope for that.

Mike Watkins, Misch, Kj1 and 2 others like this.
  7. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

:welcome:

Hi and welcome. Whoever told you that. 22 is more powerful, but less accurate is an idiot. There is no reason why one calibre should be any more or less accurate than the other. I have rifles in both calibres capable of delivering sub-moa groups. As for power, we have a 12 ft/lb limit - and most modern springers are more than able to achieve this. Within your budget, I'd be looking at the Hatsan 55s/60s or the Remington Express - or an HW99s if you can afford one... :thumb:

8. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, HW 99 S £200 ish but check out the post by cloverleaf on serial numbers, galling issue, then another £50 for a hawke scope, you do not put a location?

9. steve9956

steve9956 Engaging Member

Thumbs up to getting a good used rifle for that money! :thumb: should be able to get something a lot better for the money ! Welcome to the forum :welcome:

10. michael54r

michael54r Engaging Member

a used Walther Century come up under £200

11. 32:1

32:1 Theoben user

Id go .22 Hatsan 60s (55s is the .177)
    Nice trigger, no issues realy, nice walnut stock and around £100 if you shop around and fitted with open sights, great fun

Chris

DRAGONBAIT666 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  12. Brickhill

Brickhill Engaging Member

Take a look at a Crosman Phantom Mk2. Comes with a one piece mount and 3-9x40 scope. Factory power level is lust under the UK limit of 12 ft lbs.
    It's got a nicely proportioned stock and is comfortable to shoot.
    New, this package is usually quoted at £199.99 but you may find it cheaper if you shop around.
    Good luck and have some fun. :welcome:

13. audi swift

audi swift Man up & pull the bloody trigger.... HFT 101.

Live in Stoke On Trent. But i visit Bromsgrove.
    Try to go a club \ range when they're back open & safe to do so. & see what people are using, HW are nice, there's some other makes what will do.
    Or a couple of gun shops, but try some out what fit you nice & feels okay, I've got a brand new springer for sale, not on this forum mind. & the advert is on hold at the moment.

14. JoeHeugh

JoeHeugh Beware the Springer

I'm assuming you want one now and the usual "shop around" or "visit a club" are not applicable so I'll just give some general thoughts.

Calibre. No difference in power, .22 may have slightly more "punch" but .177 goes deeper, some of us prefer .22 for hunting but the end result is the same, its just a personal preference we could debate forever. However .177 has a flatter trajectory which basically means it's easier to hit things further away. The downside of the smaller calibre is the pellet loses energy faster and it's more affected by the wind but really the effects are marginal. Lastly .22 springers tend to have a smoother firing cycle but dont worry about that, you will get used to whatever you have. So even though I'm a dedicated .22 shooter I'd advise .177 for your first rifle.

Wood or laminate? Who cares? So long as your not having to dry out your rifle after a day in the rain it won't make any difference. Wood does need a little bit more care but serious damage is easier to repair. I like synthetic but only because I dont care about mark's or scratches. Choose whichever you like.

What you do want is a decent trigger that feels smooth when you start pulling it and then breaks sharply and doesn't need too much force. Also try the gun at your shoulder, you dont want to feel scrunched up or stretched out, hopefully the pad on your finger will fall naturally on the trigger and your eye will line up nicely on the sights.

Good luck whatever you get, and welcome to the hobby.

15. daski

daski Member

16. Kj1

Kj1 Engaging Member

Mod 60s for me too:thumb:

17. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Hatsan are now eye wateringly overpriced. Check out the humble SMK XS19.

Deejayuu likes this.
  18. Pleides

Pleides CORVID DISPATCHER and DONATOR

Hatsan 60s would be a good idea :up:

19. ArticFX

ArticFX Active Member

Hi daski

Where will your shooting take place?..at home do you have a garden & how big is it, do you have access to land to shoot on?..or will it be at a club. :thumb:

20. Glow in the Dark

Glow in the Dark Member

This is useful thread for me, had some questions about the Hatsun & they're all answered here. Thanks. Pleased about walnut stock. Very good

rabbitwrecker and TORNADOS7 like this.