1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Before Buying Privately

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Pete2, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Pete2

Pete2 Engaging Member

I'm off to look at and hopefully buy a rifle on Saturday.
    I plan taking the chrono and a scope (rifles being sold without a scope).
    My intention is to fit the scope and take a few test shots over the chrono.
    Firstly to check the output/consistency and secondly to make sure the barrel isn't bent.
    Am I going over the top?
    I don't think so, especially as its 700 beer tokens.
    Thoughts folks?
    Do you take precautions or just stump up the cash?

DRAGONBAIT666, Redcap 114 and ibo7 like this.
  2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Sensible approach to take as many precautions as possible - if the seller refuses any reasonable requests, walk away :up:

3. Josh K

Josh K Engaging Member

Most reasonable sellers would allow you to do this, providing there is somewhere to do it safely.

Redcap 114, red19 and Slipknot88 like this.
  4. hamza

hamza Engaging Member

Sounds fair to me. Dont need a scope to fire over the chrono though.

Not sure you’d find a bent barrel just by doing that either?

Personally though, it’s a bit like buying used cars, you’re buying the seller as much as the gun. You need to comfortable they’re honest and disclosing everything. If not, walk away even if the gun seems good.

5. number10

number10 Post Whore

I would let them know that you intend to do that before you travel, if it is far away. You may as well know if they are going to refuse so that you don't waste time.

6. hamza

hamza Engaging Member

Having said that I recently bought a gun without doing any of that as I didn’t have a chrono and I just fired 1 test shot.

I did chrono that gun last night having bought one, and it’s spot on.

The seller just seemed very genuine so I took a risk and bought it. Helped that it was a great price (though still a lot of money)

Slipknot88 likes this.
  7. ibo7

ibo7 Post Whore

Perfectly reasonable, especially considering the cost involved

Slipknot88 likes this.
  8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I don't think you can be over-cautious tbh. Ultimately it's your knowledge / commitment / determination / observation versus the seller's facilities and tolerance for having their gun poked, prodded and pulled to bits :p

If the facilities exist I'd always chrono the gun as straight away it gives you a haggling point if it's not right. Accuracy testing is always a great idea if possible as a growing number of guns seem to be suffering in this area and sorting it can be an expensive, time consuming lottery.

All that plus a good once-over (out of the stock if possible) after doing your homework on that model should greatly improve your chances of not buying a turkey :)

9. Farty

Farty Totty GURU

Quite to often sellers DO NOT disclose all the pit falls of the rifle....

And never do a deal in a car park such as what I did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My latest purchase had a quite a few issues barrel port had been drilled out and the valve stem was sticking,
    and a leaking reg. Just had the gun serviced that's how I know it had these issues, the guy who serviced the
    rifle turned the barrel around to get the best from it ( all barrels are bent ) and now there are deep scratches on top
    of the barrel in visual site :facepalm:!!!!!!!!! the scratches were under unseen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Robgriff1

Robgriff1 Post Whore

What rifle is it? If we knew then maybe someone could advise on what to keep an eye out for on that particular type of rifle

11. Pete2

Pete2 Engaging Member

Hft500

12. shergar

shergar Busy Member

Cash gives many options the seller has just the gun. Thankfully, with a few exceptions, there are many genuine sellers about. All my guns are second hand and the savings have covered the cost of replacement parts, TBT kits etc. Now that I have a chrony I take it with me, together with an assortment of pellets.
    Recently, on this forum, guns have been sold offering exceptional value for money. Buying from an established forum member is probably the safest way of all.

Slipknot88, Howlin Wolf and Tadpole like this.
  13. jesim1

jesim1 Big Poster

Just make sure he has the facility to do this - 10m is no use to test a modern PCP:thumb:

14. phil.m

phil.m Donator

As others have said, this all sounds good.

Maybe take a safe back stop (box full of rags, argos catalogue etc) just so you provide all of the necessary items to carry out a test.

I also like the idea than @number10 said, tell them that you need to do this.
    If there is anything dodgy, this might save you wasting your time/money.

Good luck

15. hamza

hamza Engaging Member

Another thought if you intend to test if the rifle is accurate and groups correctly you’ll need to zero the scope first. Not sure about you but it takes me a while to do this, so perhaps ask the seller to leave his scope on till you’ve done this?

Taking off a scope will surely be faster than fitting and zeroing yours.

DRAGONBAIT666 and Pete2 like this.
  16. TR158

TR158 Busy Member

Very sensible and the minimum I would think... A couple of years back I responded to an ad on Freeads for an Artemis P10 and spoke with the chap at length before agreeing to meet. I asked if he could mount a scope so that I could take a few test shots and he agreed. He phoned me about half hour before we were due to meet asking if we could meet at the local park (car park) and I declined reminding him that I wanted to test the rifle. He told me he was en route to an emergency call at work so couldn't meet at his house. I told him thank you but the deal was off. Ten minutes later he calls me and says that he's managed to arrange for someone else to attend work and the original plan to meet at his house was back on so he now had a clear schedule. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and met him at his house. Nice enough chap if a touch over friendly and accommodating but oh no, he had sold the scope that very morning so had no scope which which to test the rifle! But I was welcome to test the rifle in the garden anyway. Not to worry I reassured him, for I have brought my own scope. I asked for some pellets and wouldn't you know it, he had sold those too! I noted two more rifles in a cabinet and commented on how lovely they were and asked about the calibre etc (these had scopes mounted). Those were his pride an joy and he had some range time booked in for tomorrow which he was very much looking forward to. As luck would have it, both were of the same calibre (.177) as the P10 he was selling! But no, he was completely out of pellets and had to buy more when he had the time... By now I am of course put off but I press on. I tell him that approximately 10 minutes drive from him was the West London Shooting School which also sells airguns and pellets etc so I offered to go and purchase some and offered to take him with me so that he could stock up for his range session the following day. But no, he was in a terrible rush and had to leave soon! Needless to say I declined to proceed any further (I really should have taken some pellets along with me for the hell of it). As I'm about to get back in the car he has the audacity to brand me a complete time waster! I step back out and he ducks inside sharpish! Oh well, in total about an hour of my day wasted but a less sceptical person would probably have parted with the cash :facepalm:

17. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Well anyone who buys a rifle privately without testing/trying it most be a complete fool. One must remember it's "Caveat Emptor", let the buyer beware. Buying anything privately you have little redress unless the seller deliberately/intentionally misleads you and then you have to prove that.
    The only possible exception may be if you were buying such a gun off a close friend and you knew the history of the gun and that there was nothing wrong with it. Otherwise no you must try before you buy unless you like the idea of possibly buying a 'pig in poke'.
    Besides if the seller is genuine they'll want you to try the gun so that both of you a satisfied that the gun is okay and that should a fault develop at a later date the buyer can't think that perhaps it was there at the time of the sale. if i was selling a gun privately i'd insist that the buyer tries it to satisfy both of us that the gun was okay and that later on if a fault developed the buyer couldn't try and say that the fault must have been there at the time of purchase.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    TR158 likes this.
  18. Kadushu

Kadushu Engaging Member

Every gun I've bought has had a scope fitted to try it out, then the seller has whipped it off when I'm happy. Same when I've sold mine. Seems good manners.

DRAGONBAIT666 and Pete2 like this.
  19. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

An absolutely sensible approach, we saw recently what happens if you don’t take precautions, especially when buying from a private buyer, your not going over the top at all.

Best of luck with the purchase.

Best regards.
    Les.

20. Unholy

Unholy Well-Known Member

You are being cautious and very sensible, any respectable seller would expect it and be ready to answer any questions and allow test firing in a sensible place of course.

As a seller i would expect to see some form of ID, a receipt would be mandatory for both parties

You would test a car before buying it so why not an air rifle.