1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Been offered a HW77

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Harwich Shooter, May 16, 2014.

1. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

My brother in Laws friend (old boy) has a HW77 for sale. He offered it to my Brother in Law who is not interested (non shooter) who mentioned it in passing to me.

I have just phoned the fella and got a description. He says it is in good nick with no rust. It has not been fired in 10 years or so and he thinks it is 20 years old. The serial number is 1012096 which looks more like 1984 ish

He does not know beech from walnut but from his description, I am hoping it is walnut. It has some kind of nikko sterling scope on it I did not catch the flavour but that has to be 10+ years old too. No silencer.

It has sport waffen written on it (end of stock i think)

I forgot to ask if it is .177 or .22, not that it matters to me as I have no preference on calibre.

I do fancy a play with a springer again after many many years since owning a 1970's original .22.

My question is, should I get excited and go and see it? It is about 25 miles away.

What should I offer him?

Thanks

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. T 20

T 20 Busy Member

Go and get it bought

It should be a MK1 with 25mm cylinder and piston. :up:

Unless the stock has been changed at a later date it will be beech.

I'd be looking to offer £100 and work upwards depending on condition and whether the original rearsight is included or not, just bare in mind that you may have to strip and rebuild it after 30 years of use.

If it's a minter I'd be happy paying up to £200 in .177" and £175 in .22", condition is everything.

All the best Mick

3. Egg

Egg Major Poster

^^ Agreed - anywhere between the prices mentioned. You never know your luck, it might be a minter that you pick up for a pittance. You could also be unlucky in that the owner may have a clue as to the value. Still, nothing ventured and all that :)

4. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Thanks T 20 and Egg,

Will keep you posted and if I buy it, I will be back with pics and 'what to do next' questions.

Kenny MacA's a 'heed the baw'

5. T 20

T 20 Busy Member

I just hope he doesn't come back with a Walnut thumb hole 77 with a sticker of two cobras on the cylinder and tell us he gave the bloke £25 for it. :eek: :( :( :(

I may may just have to say a naughty word or two. :D

All the best Mick

6. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Don't, just..... don't :(

7. Tech-Hunter

Tech-Hunter Well-Known Member

My Brothers HW77 was a beast, for me it's one of the best springers I've shot! He still regrets selling it....

8. JD

JD Donator

This is one of those threads, where I wait with baited breath to see what turns up.

It has been proven that there is the odd Hw77 out there, that sports a walnut factory standard style stock.

If Harwich Shooter comes back with a .20 walnut stocked 77 with a twin cobra sticker on it.

I think this thread should be deleted and Harwich shooter, banned from posting for a month of Sundays. LOL

9. T 20

T 20 Busy Member

Just think John

It could turn out to be a fully adjustable thumb hole Walnut job with four interchangeable barrels and Chameleon written on it. :cool:

We can only dream. ;)

All the best Mick

10. JD

JD Donator

Just for info Mick,

Having spoke to Airmasters, only 7 Chameleons were ever made,

But and its a good butt ( LOL )

They will still make one to order.

All the best

John.

11. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Just to wet your appetites. I am going over tomorrow (sunday) morning for a look see with some pellets and my chrombo. I still forgot to ask him if it is a .177 or .22

watch this space.

12. JD

JD Donator

A bit slow off the blocks there Harwich shooter, did you just want to pass his details over to me ? LOL

If the rifles not been shot for 10 years, your need to give it a good few clearing shots before you put the crombo on it.

Its an easy rifle to sort out if low on power and they tune up very nicely as well. ; )

13. T 20

T 20 Busy Member

You're not wrong John but it's best to remember that the factory springs used in the MK1 had 100mm of preload. :eek:

Hours of fun. :D

All the best Mick

14. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Right, not sure where to start. I went to see the nice old suffolk boy (82 years young) in Hadleigh this morning after the car boot at Ardleigh.

Needless to say I purchased the HW77 and did not pay a kings ransom. (not saying)

From the old fellas earlier telephone description, I thought I was in for a bit of a treat. Cutting the story right short, It has had a hard unloved life by the looks of it. It is .22 flavour, weighs more than my Raider!

I just weighed it in at 9lbs 14oz with the funny little mismounted nikko sterling attached.

Not sure what power output it is as I could not see how to easily put my chrombo on it.

I did test fire it and it seems a little under if anything. The trigger is set to 'fine hair' and surprised me a bit as I was just lining it up and had gently taken up the first stage and pow. I did hit more or less where I was aiming though :)

I am going to sell it on in the next few days as I really am a pcp boy. There is really no comparison between this HW77 and my HW100.

See some pics:-

View attachment 96536 View attachment 96537 View attachment 96538 View attachment 96539 View attachment 96540 View attachment 96541 View attachment 96542 View attachment 96543 View attachment 96544 View attachment 96545

15. T 20

T 20 Busy Member

That's so true Mr HS --- the 77 is a proper gun. :p :cool:

All the best Mick

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Looks like a great project for someone. Wish it could be me...

17. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I agree - that's not too shabby at all given that it's a 1984-1985 vintage.

18. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Right then, as I said before, I am going to sell this nice old (dinosaur) HW77.

Before I do though, I would like to find a way to fit my Chrombo to it so that I can see what ooomph it is firing at. At to see what groupings I can get with a springer. I suspect not very good having been used to its slick younger brother HW100

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to chrono this gun with a Chrombo?

Many thanks,.
    Paul

19. rynner

rynner Busy Member

i managed to hit my chrombo,a hw57 but pretty much the same,be v careful,some advice given was to tape it to the gun.good luck

20. Egg

Egg Major Poster

IIRC that age of gun had its foresight blade fixed to the underlever catch assembly so.... with some difficulty I'd say. If the foresight comes off then I'd remove it, turn the chrono upside down and try it that way but, like I say, it might not detach.

You could try attaching the chrono sideways (90° to the barrel) and apply liberal amounts of lacky bands or insulating tape to keep it in place, otherwise find someone or somewhere that has a Chrony type unit - local gunshop might be a good place to try :)