1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Beeman HW30 Review

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Vulcanator, May 22, 2008.

1. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Well well well, after a short delay from being on back order I finally have my grubby mitts on my new .177cal HW30. So without further ado here's the review. My motivation to buy this rifle was spurred by the purchase of a Slavia 618 for my son. Getting such pleasure from shooting the Slav which led me to decree the need for an adult size rifle for plinking/informal target shooting.

The Box: The rifle arrived packed in a nondescript brown cardboard box, there were some cursory markings pertaining to Beeman. Inside the gun is restrained by a couple of cardboard blocks, I find this inadequate due to my previous experience with the Webley Patriot that I had received damaged. All manufacturers should pack their guns in preformed expanded polystyrene to protect the gun. Also enclosed is the generic Beeman manual, service plan information, shooting tips information, sticker and product services brochure.

Initial Impressions: Taking the gun out of the box reveals a compact, lightweight rifle that appears very well made. Fortunately this one arrived intact so a closer look was performed.

The Woodwork: Aaaagh, I thought the HW30 had escaped the re-design by Beeman of the extended fore-end, not so lucky. Although this is a cosmetic issue the fore-end appears to be blended better that the R1,7&9, it'll just have to grow on me! The stock is finished in a medium brown color, the stain is uniformly applied and the finish is satin matte, there is no checkering. The butt has a brown rubber butt plate interspersed with a black spacer which is screwed to the stock. the stock has a shallow comb and a mild cheek piece as a concession to the right handed shooter but to all extents this is a ambidextrous stock. The fit to the metalwork is excellent.

The Metalwork: The cylinder and barrel are polished to a high standard, the bluing is dark and uniform in application, the metalwork has a definite luster and oozes quality. All identification marks are stamped into the metal are clearly legible and represent a refreshing change from the trend of laser etching. The cylinder has machined grooves for a scope and has the usual Weihrauch pre drilled holes in the top of the cylinder to accommodate a scope stop. The only issue I do have is the policy of Weihrauch to use slotted screws for its hardware, to minimize chewing the screw heads and possibly slipping off the head and gouging the stock an Allen type head should be adopted.

The Sights: Weihrauch's all metal open sights are delightful the model fitted here being the same as fitted on the R1,7&9 rifles, the foresight which is a globe type attached to the barrel via a dovetail-very positive indeed. The rearsight has a ball bearing click adjustable feature which is positive in operation. It also features four different apertures to change the sight picture, I found the one selected by the factory gives a good sight picture of proper proportions.

The Trigger: The HW30 has Weihrauch's Perfekt trigger unit, a two stage non adjustable unit that is protected by a metal trigger guard that is checkered and appears to be finished in a black epoxy type coating. The trigger blade is of smooth metal construction and is hollowed out to its rear, a shame as I think Weihrauch could have put in the Rekord trigger blade instead but there's a reason the HW30 is cheaper than its stablemates. The trigger weight appears to be about 3lbs and my initial impressions of it are favorable.

Handling: The HW30 a compact rifle at just under 39" long and weighing in at 5.5lbs is light and easy to handle. Cocking the gun requires a sharp slap to unlatch the ball bearing detent that secures the barrel, then you have about 18lbs of cocking effort to overcome. Pulling the barrel to engage the sear revealed my gun to be very smooth unlike some offerings that can seem quite "crunchy" - especially when new. When the sear engages so does the auto-safety, unlike the R series guns which use a cylinder type safety that move perpendicular to the cylinder this one is a metal tab that extends from the rear thus being truly ambidextrous in operation-a plus point for left handers, also you can flick the safety off and decock this gun which is very useful.

Shooting: Loading a pellet require a push to insert them in the breech, close the barrel, bring the rifle up to aim, flip off the safety which requires an upward motion and you're ready to shoot. The firing cycle is quite smooth with just a little bit of twang from the spring, the report from the gun is low so this makes it ideal for use in areas where there are neighbors. Recoil is barely discernible from this gun and it's a pleasure to shoot.

Shooting the gun for group took me less than 20 shots to sight in at 25yds where I was already getting a 3/4" group with 5 shots using the open sights-holy moly! The trigger albeit being non adjustable has a smooth initial take up and the second stage has no creep to speak of and feels quite light, I can see this gun is going to perform after the breaking in period has occurred.

I was able to chrono the rifle. Beeman Laser pellets (6.5gr) over 10 shots gave me 650fps average for 6.1ft/lbs. Beeman FTS (9.2gr) averaged 578fps for 6.8ft/lbs. There was a spread of about 50fps but the gun still diesels slightly but with use will diminish and the velocity spread will narrow. This is well within Beeman's velocity claims and I expect a slight increase as the gun breaks in.

Summary: The HW30 lives in the shadow of its much vaunted brother the R7 but is none the worse for it, here we have a rifle that gives the same performance as an R7 for just over 50% of the cost! This rifle is well suited for plinking, informal target shooting and small pest control up to about 30yds (bloodied the gun with a squirrel no less!). Pyramydair are selling these for $215! an absolute bargain for what you get, a Weihrauch with the German build quality that ranks among the best. At current prices it could be argued that you get your cake and eat it too-highly recommended.

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I'd like a Weihrauch HW30 (same thing) for plinking, I like the lack of chequering (checkering? what's it called) anyway, good review, nice one :up:

3. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

yep thats what they call it cog:rolleyes:

good review, should have you testing guns for the mags.
    at least theyd be honest:up:

4. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Thanks guys, honesty will not get me a job at the airgun rags testing guns!:D

In regards to Chequering, my spelling of it merely reflects where I live. The Queens English is my preferred tongue!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

you can call it the 'rough bit' if you need to:D

6. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I just wasn't sure how it was spelt, maybe I should've asked you a1 :rolleyes:

7. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

how about i spell it in welsh:p

that'll confuse you:D
    if you think french or german looked wierd then stick to your side of the border:D

8. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I've seen Welsh, it's horrible, with all these double Ls at the start of words ... anyway back to the topic, nice review Vulcanator, we could do with more like it in this world of airgun mags feeding us lies :up: