1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Beech stock oil?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by BSAman, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BSAman

BSAman Engaging Member

Hi guys,

can you strip and oil a beech stock? does anyone have any pics of an oiled beech stock, i just wondered what it would look like before i attempted my own.

:)

2. martin22

martin22 Donator

i was just about to ask this question myself untill i saw this so will be watching the thread with interest,i will be attempting doing the stock of my newly aqquired 77 as the previous owner has made a questionable job of it,looks like its been sprayed with varnish,the sand paper like finish with air bubbles and the complementery dog hairs stuck in it i suppose give a whole new meaning to the phrase 'lifting the grain' :facepalm:

3. BSAman

BSAman Engaging Member

lol definitely i just wondered if it would look more walnuty :)

4. martin22

martin22 Donator

ive had a search through google earlier but trouble is sometimes theres that many conflicting views you end up more confused than when you started,but as you say if anyones got any pics of there beech stock and what they used for the results that would be great :up:

5. p.sharp

p.sharp Newbie

Oiled beech stocks end up looking like wooden chopping boards / rolling pins, normally found in the kitchen.

I've yet to see a nice oiled beech stock tbh.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. BSAman

BSAman Engaging Member

oh well thats destroyed the dream lol

7. Ukmric1

Ukmric1 Member

I have just stripped and oiled the stock on My FWB sport, I will post some photos this evening but I am very pleased with the look and finish, I thoroughly stripped all old varnish final rub down with water wetted wet dry 1200 dry thoroughly then use grain sealer and apply first coats of oil with wire wool after only 3 applications the grain in the beech is looking lovely and colour is also very much better in my opinion.
    will post photos ASAP
    i would go for it as badly applied varnish looks awful mine had cracks and yellowing due to its age and made FWB Look terrible
    Martin

8. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Each to their own opinion I'm sure. But I stained and oiled the one on my supersport. Very pleased with the result.

image.jpg

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Long time poster

Don't give up BSAman. It can be done. I have done few over the years. Here is a link to how :http://www.airguntech.com/?p=163 Hope it helps you.

And here are some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is one I did myself: [​IMG]

10. BSAman

BSAman Engaging Member

that pro sprt is the finish im after! yours looks amazing mate did you do the pro sport?

11. BSAman

BSAman Engaging Member

truck cab brilliant loking rifle

12. Wild Bill

No I didn't do that one.

Just shows what can be done though. I still prefer a good walnut stock though. This is one of my old ones:

[​IMG]

And these are current one's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ukmric1

Ukmric1 Member

14. BSAman

BSAman Engaging Member

mmmm very sexy lol, is that a cs stock? its the same as mine on my S10 i intend to do that but my tx is beech one i need to do, ukmric it looks amazing

15. Ukmric1

Ukmric1 Member

My FWB stock has had no stain applied just CCL gunstocks oil as a dressing 3 good coats now, as can be seen in other examples if wanting a more walnut appearance then wood can be stained/ combed etc, if your Beech has a reasonable grain showing then it's not necessary IMO to stain apologies for link as it shows a whole album of boats fishing tackle and watches I will try and delete and just link stock photos
    ATB
    Martin

16. Ukmric1

Ukmric1 Member

Martin
    i have replied to sales thread re HW95 and can offer you stock re finishing sealer oils stripper etc if we meet up on HW95 to enable you to restore your HW77 stock
    ATB
    the other Martin

17. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Andy. What's the finish on that top one without an action. I've got a Superstar on the way and that colour would be perfect for when I do the stock on it. If you let me know the stain and what you oiled it with I'd be very grateful.

18. Wild Bill

Not mine. But I know it was done with some dark oak staining.

19. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

[​IMG]

I did my S200 as it had been butchered a bit.I stained it first with Van Dyke crystals,they are crushed walnut shells just add hot water.They go a long way,I made 300 cl and used hardly any,cheap off the bay.I then used ccl stock oil,beech always looks patchy to me when stained and oiled,but the stock looks a lot better than it did.
    andy.[​IMG]

20. Wild Bill

Sometimes, if you have a beech stock and you want it to look great, the only real alternative is to get it hydrographicly dipped. Here is one of my old ones done in Turkish walnut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]