1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Barrel Crowning On The Lathe

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 1260engineer, May 13, 2020.

1. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

Seeings people are talking barrels alot ... i did this while in za cooler . i did it without suds . makes it easier to see
    so it you got some lockdown time

2. fishy-steve

fishy-steve Engaging Member

Why not use a barrel bore pin and clock in with a 4 jaw?

3. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Major Poster

Interesting, or as above clock up on a mandrel. My gunsmith when doing any crown be it 11 degree or whatever will always finish by hand with a piloted crowning tool made by PT&G.

BucketBoy had an interesting technique on here a little while back, HQ grinding the surface or the likes, at the end of the day as long as the interface is smooth and perfectly perpendicular to the bore then that's really all that matters.

Blackmax likes this.
  4. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

i do sometimes . but as a rule to seft i dont like putting anything in the business end of a barrel . its the last thing the pellet before it goes on its way . and it gets people a bit more skill doing this way . teaches them to look at stuff in more detail. sorry im old school . its worked for me over 40 odd years .

Septic, HW100Tuning, ped and 4 others like this.
  5. Jimmypie

Jimmypie AGF Leshiy rehoming service

Interesting video , obvious burrs or defects and such aside at what point /distance would the regular shooter or even a pro notice an irregular crown affecting accuracy , and by how much “out” should that crown need to be , compared to say the minute differences in a tin of pellets .

I hope the above makes sense , it does in my head :facepalm::p

Blackmax likes this.
  6. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

Sorry my engineer geek bit here a proper bit of over the top . i measure the height and depth of lands and fields in my barrels . i make my own head spin sometimes :facepalm:
    its a sad state i know
    if one has toys
    20200509_130302_copy_1209x1612.jpg

ped, fishy-steve and Blackmax like this.
  7. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

say you had a bure on the left of the crown at close range you would never know . but as the range moves out so does that shot . it will also kick the spin of the pellet as it leves the barrel and as with the rugby ball the spin makes it fly stright . some ask why i dident us a bore pin . the bore pin sits on the rifleing not in it . ive measured rifleing . and you would be surprised some of the things ive found thats why i use poly barrels now .

Blackmax and Jimmypie like this.
  8. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Must have missed it, how did you measure how much to shim the jaws?

Blackmax likes this.
  9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Posting Addict

The pellet sit's on the rifling too .
    Tue Jul 17 22-00-58.jpg

10. hmangphilly

Lots of ways to skin a cat mate .
    He's using Mk1 eyeball, and finishing the crown with scotchbrite . He says it works for him on 'polyagonal' barrels so fair enough .

It would knock all the leading corners off normal rifling and create real woolly edges .

Interesting video Mr engineer , but lots in there not for me .

1260engineer likes this.
  11. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

the very small chanfer is just on the depth of the rifling . you can see how much you need to move the barrel . some people do packing some people rotate the barrel in the chuck . some people use a bore dowel and work off the offset from a clock . is good question tho . like i said 40 odd years in engineering and you just do stuff without thinking . sometimes it s hard to explain . the main thing is you get the bore in the middle of the chuck :up:

12. hmangphilly

How are you supporting the other end of the barrel ?
    Plenty of pcp barrels are 500 or so long . That's a lot to be flapping about when you wick up to 1000 rpm .

13. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

in the back of the lathe is a tapered plug . abit like a collet . that supports the other end of the barrel . i make um out of wood . say my barrel 16.2mm
    i spin a cone up with a long taper . drill a hole through the middle . cut it off then cut it in to 3 and the rest is simple .

14. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Your doing it by eye then as I suspected, that wouldn't be close enough for me I am afraid, you need to come off the bore , and as Phil hints at , a spider on the rear of the spindle to get it all running true, very easy to ruin a barrel.

fishy-steve likes this.
  15. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

I worked for 9 years maching turbine blades working plus or minus half a thou for 10 hour shifts with half hour over lap either end . and was always told by my instructor if you carnt see 5 thou get out of engineering. the old days when man operated the machine .

16. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Me too , toolroom surface grinding gap gauges to plus .00015" minus 0 amongst other things , you have to measure it or its scrap.
    Scraped machine beds & slides by hand , setting alignments, have to measure that as well. But hey ho each to there own

fishy-steve and 1260engineer like this.
  17. bucketboy

bucketboy Very Active

I also have an easy foolproof method

i use a small drill grinder in the tool post set just above centre height.

The lathes slowly rotates while the grinder does its thing. Because it’s is always removing material perpendicular away from the bore, it leaves a sharp burr free finish 7136C564-7602-4BCA-8BDB-3C423C07F733.jpeg 787392B1-CF8F-43A0-A9E4-2DBF440C2A6F.jpeg D87F6A5B-EEA9-447F-AFE1-3445B3CB941D.jpeg 6D2BA657-08C1-4DE8-952C-8755AD61FBC9.jpeg

18. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

this is fun :thumb: do gasing and clever stuff and shoot 30 yards 3 shots same hole im happy
    just now :thumb:
    Screenshot_20200513-171737_Gallery_copy_576x1184.jpg Screenshot_20200513-171625_Gallery_copy_576x1184.jpg

Dr. Strangelove and foxtrott like this.
  19. hmangphilly

20. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

here you go proper OTT diamond cutter .22
    20200513_174311_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Reefmonkey and Bash like this.