1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Barrel cleaning?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by edessex, Apr 13, 2014.

1. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

This is a proper 'newbie' question, so I apologise in advance, but...

I've got a fixed barrel air rifle (underlever), with a rotating breach. So I can't access the rear of the barrel without dismantling the rifle.

I was looking into getting a cleaning kit off eBay, not that I know what I need, but I'm concerned about pushing a brush down the end of the barrel, as there is nowhere for the dirt to go other than crammed against the breach...

What's the best method of cleaning it, and what should I look out for in a (budget) cleaning kit?

The rifle is a BSA Airsporter.

Thanks guys and gals!

2. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

I think I see your problem. How about putting a felt cleaning pellet into the breech before you start cleaning the barrel - that way the crud will all end up against the felt pellet? When you've finished cleaning just fire the felt pellet out which should take most of the crud with it.

Felt cleaning pellets don't have a shining reputation for getting into the rifling of a barrel but I've known people who will always put a few through their guns at the end of a shooting session, just to remove any loose stuff.

Don't forget to take off your silencer first, though.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Is your barrel needing cleaned??:)

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Felt cleaning pellets in front of a pellet will suit a springer,not sure about the breach system though?

5. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, as with matty but a dab of white spirit on the cleaning pellet, after get some LTL pellet lube

6. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I never even knew about felt pellets! I had a quick search on eBay for them, and one makes reference to putting a standard pellet in behind to prevent the felt one breaking up. Obviously I can't do this, so is it still ok for me to use them?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

No,using them in a springer without a pellet is the equivalent of dry firing.

Can you not put a cleaning pellet in the front of the barrel,push it down then chamber a pellet?

8. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

But wouldn't that push any crud back to the breach, which was what I was trying to avoid?

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Is it not possible to double load the gun?

10. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I doubt I'll fit two in the breach, even if one can be squashed.

The pellet stays in the breach until it's fired.

11. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Cleaning pellets are small and compress, I don't see why you cannot put one in the rotating breach and then load a proper pellet behind it? As for a solid "snake" like cleaning rod, I have been warned against then as the riffling on an air gun if fairly easy to damage?

James

12. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

So long as what you're poking down the end of the barrel is made of a softer material than the barrel you're not going to do any damage.

Whilst a felt pellet on it's own isn't going to put up a lot of resistance it should still come out of the barrel when fired, bringing with it any crud that's been loosened by the cleaning.

The usual practice with a break-barrel gun is to double-load it with a lead pellet behind it but obviously this might not be practical with a breech gun.

Occam's Razor suggests just give it a try.

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

It should be ok,the barrel is steel and the hardest cleaning snakes are brass (they shouldn't be used on air rifles though,theres no powder to scrub off)

I have used cleaning rods but with a fabric head and get a piece of delrin or PTFE made as a guide so you're sure no metal is goign to touch the crown etc

14. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

I would respectfully suggest that you NEVER push any cleaning rod into a barrel from the muzzle end!.
    I think if you try you can get a cleaning felt plus a pellet into the loading tap. Push the felt well in first. Otherwise try two cleaning felts.
    I always only use cleaning felts, The blast of air behind them does try to open them up and they do scour the rifling. This does not happen with fag filters which some folk recommend, they are designed to pass air when you suck on the fag. Proper felts will not allow air past.
    This is only my humble opinion.

15. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I was going to ask about fag filters actually! Can get them in the pound shop down the road...

16. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

.177 or .22 ? ;)

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I've used them and supplied them in well over 100 of my pull through kits,no complaints so far.

They come flying out with some force so there is still tonnes of air pushing them out and the proof of cleaning can be seen when you pick one up after firing, covered in dirt.

18. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

I use a few methods ,firstly if I've bought a new used rifle I do run a bronze brush down the barrel the correct way as afore mentioned.
    then after I slip my pull through cord down barrel towards breech ,I attatch a few lengths of what I use very much like a cotton mop string but much softer and carefull pull it through barrel ,I also use a cleaning fluid ,takes about 3 times through to clean it . Then I shoot 30 or so pellets through it only the type I intend to use to re lead the barrel some.
    i always keep my fingers over the crown area to guide the pull through along so as the cord doesn't rub the crown.
    you can make a pull through out of thick strong fishing twine or line. And tie a loop one end to pass your cleaning material through..simple and cheap. I would guess 100percent cotton mop head strings would also suffice as a decent cleaner..
    each to their own theirs plenty of different materials.

19. newf4us

newf4us Member

20. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Daniel the OP is asking about cleaning his gun which has a loading tap!!! How the heck will this guys dodge help him?