1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Barnnett Comando Crossbow and Scope

Discussion in 'Archery' started by allrightscud, Jul 19, 2014.

1. allrightscud

allrightscud Well-Known Member

Not sure if crossbows come under archery but its as good a place as any to ask the question. After much nagging by my son I've dug out my old Barnnett Comando break action crossbow. Its needing a bit of a clean up and re strung. The alloy is starting to bubble under the paint. I'll need to rub it down and sort that out. Anyway I was always going to put a scope on it but never got round to looking for or researching what to fit. Any crossbow enthusiasts got a recommendation of what I shoudl fit and a sores of decent bolts.

2. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

What mk commando is it ,mk1/2. Has is all brass draw arms with brass hook ends or nylon black hooks or mk 2 with alloy slim leavers arms.
    I have fitted standard air rifle scopes on many c bows especially commando variants.
    Personal found the wide view t v view scope best.
    Slot of bow scopes have a couple or more horizontal bars one that will alter via elevation adjuster for set range ,I have these too but still prefer standard cross hair.
    Let me know what type you have as I have cable assemblies for mk 2 compound '
    Make sure you use flat nock bolts on mk 1 .
    They can be improved on plenty too.
    And although limbs were specific to them and no more New ones exist their are others that are direct fit but deliver only 115 pound even though their 150/175 lb limbs due to stroke diff.but enough anyway.
    Limb were in two types mk1 with 3 power levels.
    No2 were recurve and compound with 2 recurve 1 compound however two variation on length on compound limb .
    Hope this helps some.

3. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

Bolts as said flat nock mk 1 ,I use alloy and carbon type ,I've tried cheapest off fleebay too at around 13" long in carbon 17" alloy .both her very good dispite being very cheap as bolts go.
    Most armex or simular however are half moon nock thus needing replacement to flat .
    String will be roughly 25.25 or 25.3/8 from memory inch long on standard limb too.

4. allrightscud

Its stanadard recurve not compound. I'm not sure what model it is but it has all brass hooks and slide. I wish I had kept the box and manual with it. I'm not sure if the limbs still any good but its not damaged so will give it a try. I bought it in the early 90's and had some good fun with it. I remmeber it being expensive to use, I was for ever losing bolts! I ended up buying judo tips which made the bolt spring up in the air if it missed the target and hit the grass. Its flat nock botls I have. I found 3 boxes of unused bolts with it as well as about 2 dozen bent bolts. I think I had an arrow straightener as well. Need to look.

5. allrightscud

I managed to find this info off an old expired advert. It looked simialr to my crossbow[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]

[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]Barnett commando 2 recurve crossbow
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]weight[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]3.6kg[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]String length[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]26 1/8"[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]Bolt weight[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]385g[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]Draw weight[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]150lb[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]Velocity[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]220ft/sec[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]Effective range[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]50m[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

6. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

Nice,will be a mk 1 early variant if brass hooked not nylon black,limb wise is it marked vellocispeed or just barnett.it had two diff limb shapes one more gull wing slightly upswept being vellocispeed and the best and a early glass type not as strong and will need looking at closely for De lamination cracks .
    I use a 175 lb jaguar limb with shorter string to replace mine these work well but for junior look at armex low poundages around 115 lb limb .
    Brass polishes nice,debure slots from back and lube,.make sure limb carrier edges are clean not rough,and that rubber pads sit in front and behind limb between plate and bolt.
    Triggers are ok on these no room for pins to drift out.
    If you can polish tip of sear that holds plate that string holds against improves release.
    Lube deck with silicon oil and wax lube stick

7. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

No good mk2 unless you have mk 2 , I have mk1/2 all variants ,will sort out info photo copy n send if you like.

8. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

Limbs were 150 marked s,175 marked m and I believe 220 lb .
    All variants were reputed used in Serb Bosnian conflict for assassination.
    Speeds around 240 fps to compound 265 plus .

9. allrightscud

Just did a quick search, didn't realise that flat head nock bolts weren't the norm. Do you know where I can get them or how best to modify the standard half moon nock bolts?

I'll PM you my e mail if you wouldn't mind scanning the info for me please.

10. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

P.m sent, if you have half moon nocked bolts you can but flat nock to replace them,if glue isn't too hard to remove to pull out with a nocking tool.
    From looking fleebay cost of tool ,nocks nearly as cheap to but 13" flat nock bolts last I looked were around 20 for 25£ posted.

11. DaveSlain

DaveSlain Active Member

I've got a Commando. Unfortunately it's in bits at the moment. It's got all brass hooks so presumably a mk1 then.

The long stem on the stock has been hacksawed off which s a bit of a shame. While the leverage aidded cocking I think my parents found it kept getting in the way.

They bought it in the late 80's/early 90's (I was 6 or 7 when they bought it, so '89 maybe). I seem to remember they lost a fair few bolts while zeroing the scope. I found a scope recently which is a Tasco 4x32 which must be what they had on it, as the smaller scope we had is still on the air rifle.

12. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

That is a putty the leaver has been removed it does aid cocking but easily used without,great little units these.
    I had a few years using them and found them very very good.
    They seemed to hit a big popular few years ago and big values but like all such and related items have levelled out a little.
    Hope you get it back together at some point it's no toy very capable .
    Good luck

13. wobblybootie

wobblybootie Donator

This thread brings back memories, late 70's maybe 77 / 78 I acquired a Barnett Wildcat, wooden stock etc. Serious amount of effort needed to cock it though No Scope fitted, so used it over open sights. I took it with me on an 7 day Survival/Escape & Evasion Exercise up to the Brecon Beacons. Weather was, as is usual up there Shi*e!! We stripped it, wrapped it up with a dozen bolts, as best we could and when we thought we were close to being dropped off in the middle of nowhere, chucked it out of the back of the truck. It took about 4 hours to find it. I will say nothing more other than to say we ate well every day (but could have done with a jar of mint sauce!!). I have no idea what happened to it, Shame, it was a fun thing to shoot.

14. madcarlos

madcarlos Engaging Member

hi hope you dont mind in me invading this thread but i have just picked up a mk2 comando compound crossbow , i already own a 1980 mk1 wildcat but seen the comando going at a reasonable price so i thought i would treat myself and see how they have come on inj the last 30 years since i first had my wildcat as a young boy, right what i really wanted to know is what size bolts should i bee using out of the comando also any advice on string waxing and any other basic maintenance / servicing/cleaning etc etc i should be doing to this crossbow also any other advice would be appreciated very much , i will include a couple pics of the old mk1 plus the comando i have just bought , thanks

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q640/stanwendy/IMAG06701_zps29474c59.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q640/stanwendy/IMAG06721_zpsaeba563d.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q640/stanwendy/barnetwildcat.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014