1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Baiting tree Rat?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Fog, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

I am lacking time and need to stock my freezer . I can only get out once a week so i am setting live traps down.
    Anyone got a good tree rat bait? Tried the Nut thing but does not seem to happen.The Larsen traps will go up in spring but the tree rats are on the ground at present but i am F****D if i can get one
    Any ideas boys?

2. 16Grain

16Grain Member

What sort of nuts are you using? I heard peanuts are best.

I also heard that peanut butter is good because it has a strong odour that attracts 'em.

3. Clubshot

Clubshot Big Poster

Monkey Nut
    Peanuts in Shells

Never Failed , they will sit and remove nut from case before running
    off plenty of time for a Shot

If real spooky , nuts in a bag , pinned down
    Real fun to watch them try and get nuts out of bags

BOB/R

4. Rags

Rags Active Member

I usually bait tree rats with cookies, Cheerios, or Trixs; they also like my wife’s bird feeder. Had to hang a wooden pellet stop behind the feeder, so the fence wouldn’t get messy. ;)

5. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Just been out hunting and bagged up but checked the trap which had nuts in and got a Hedgehog again!
    Will try some of those monkey Things...........cheers

6. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Can you Eat Hedgehog?:eek:

7. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

I use cat food as a bait, it has a strong smell is cheap and easily carried around in your pocket. I use the rip off lid types and use the lid as a spoon. Try to find a cat food that is mushy not chunky as this will allow you a longer time to shoot as the rat cannot grab a large chunk and run away and eat it.

ATB,
    Chael

8. Rags

Rags Active Member

I like the cat food ideal.:) It should being them all in.;)

9. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Well it works for me and all of my shooting friends so I hope it works for you too.
    Good Luck!

10. thedeester

thedeester Newbie

i had the same problem with my traps i found that puting the trap in plain view on a tree stump or man made stump with crushed peanuts all over the trap and stump cable tie the trap door open for a day or two or until you know they are feeding happily there then set the trap first time i tried this all 4 traps had a furry friend in

11. CarlC

CarlC Member

:D didn`t know you could eat Rat,what`s it like.:D i wouldn`t have the guts to kill one using a trap, cruel way to kill them.:D

12. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Rat is Ok. Not my first choice but i have tried everything i have shot.
    Tastes a bit like chicken.....Well you know;):D:D