1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Service From John Rothery

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Billbill, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Billbill

Billbill Member

Has anyone had trouble with a Walther lgu varment warranty claim with John Rothery ?? IV just been told that because I removed the stock to wipe down the action with an oily rag after being out in rain the whole day John Rothery have said it's voided the warranty because it's classed tampering ?? The rifle was 2 months old from new But when I mesged Walther USA they class it as basic maintenance ?? The warranty claim is for the plastic block with the brass Colet that keeps the stock bolted the action it's cheep and nasty it clued in don't no why it's plastic ? John Rothery don't have a drawing or any clue about this part or rifle by the sounds of things very bad service I only went through them because the gun shop said it would be quicker to go directly to them because of the world pandemic

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

He speaketh b******s, removing the action to clean is routine maintenance

eh... i posted bow lax? :confused:

Billbill likes this.
  3. Billbill

Billbill Member

It's not good IV got a £450 rifle brand new and can't get the part for it as of yet ??

4. HairyHobbit

HairyHobbit Engaging Member

If you have the answer back from Walther in print, an email, take it into John Rothery and see what they come back with. If it isn't what you hope to hear, maybe speak to the UK agent/distributor. If you still aren't getting anywhere, take it up with Trading Standards.

Autodidact, Blue BSA and Billbill like this.
  5. Scots Bob

Scots Bob Donator

Absolutely rubbish,terrible service.Did you pay by credit card by any chance ?? .If so get on to the credit card company they will sort it out for you.

bigal, Billbill and HairyHobbit like this.
  6. Guloluseus

Guloluseus I break kit kats regularly :)

I know its not what you want to hear, but it could be said that you overtightened the bolt when you reassembled, causing it to break.

But..and its a big but... thats not user error. I've found the varmint manual (link below) and it says on page 8 "Rub down the exterior metal parts occasionally using a cloth moistened with gun oil. Lightly oil the barrel hinges at regular intervals.". To do that, you NEED to remove the stock, so you are only doing exactly what the manual tells you to do!

Page 1, under warrenty, states
    "During the legal warranty period, which begins on the date of purchase, Umarex will repair or replace your weapon at no charge provided the defect was not caused by you. Return your weapon to an authorized dealer along with a description of the problem and proof of purchase."

The defect was not caused by you- if the bolt can be done up using hand tools such that a part breaks, thats a defect, not user error and is covered by the warranty, which says return to dealer.

Dont accept their view. tell them you want a repair or replacement, as its not caused by you. I know for a fact that Umarex will quite happily sort it out- my RFD has had countless items to send back to them (either warranty, or out of warranty repairs) and even out for warranty items tend to be free a lot of the time as its more hassle to collect for 5 quid than its worth. If you get no joy, contact Umarex direct, explain whats happened, and they will get you tight.
    Theres a lot of good RFDs out there, but sometimes the sheer crop they come out with still amazes me.

7. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

What? Really?!

I’m surprised they didn’t say because you shot it you’ve voided warranty.

That’s really poor.

you’re meant to take it out of the stock for basic maintenance.

OldGreyDog, Blackmax and Billbill like this.
  8. Billbill

Billbill Member

It's a common problem the gun Smith from John Rothery said and he can't understand why it's in plastic he says his self it should be metal IV went back to the gun shop hopefully that can help get it sorted John Rothery were not very helpfu
    Thanks for that you have been very helpful I'm glad it put it on here thanks guys

9. Ade C

Ade C Busy Member

Rothery is the UK distributor. I would expect better

Arron Yeates and Billbill like this.
  10. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Keyboard Hero

After sending a gun back to John Rothery under warranty I wouldn't go anywhere near them again. :facepalm:
    I'm not going to list the reasons... I don't have the time to rewrite War & Peace.

11. Arron Yeates

Arron Yeates Busy Member

Keep trying mate. Removing a stock the same day as you purchased or a month in to clean it for maintanance with a cloth isnt tampering... if you remove the spring and re grease it.. thats tamering. Tge shop should by rights sort this and like above send an email or a copy of ypur email feom them to the shop. If there not prepared to do anything. Maybe try trading standards or something. You may have over tightened the screw it happens... just a little bit more... then you kick yourself. Keep trying mucca

Billbill likes this.
  12. steptoe2019

steptoe2019 Engaging Member

@BallisticBill i had another gun shop do the same to me , i brought the wife a new ruger precission and it was a dog from the outset , we called the gun shop who said deal with the importer who said they could do nothing but we had to speak to ruger , they spoke to ruger who said i had cleaned the gun so it is now classed as used , so i said ok we will have to sort it ourselves , we took it to the range and used it 3 shots and the hand guard had twisted off centre so i took it to the shop they said hmmm we can send it for repair , i said hold on it is a new gun fired 3 shots , so they sent it to the importer who then had to send it to a gun smith who then told the woman at the importer the gun was not good but she called me and said it had to be repaired the gun was fine , i caught her out because the gun smith at the shop in a recorded phone call told me he had spoken to the woman the day before who had said the gun was rubbish but they would get it repaired and to tell me i had to wait on them , i rang her back played the recording to her and she said ok we will speak to ruger , in the end i rang ruger and played the recording to them 3 days later the shop refunded but made me keep the silencer as that was an extra and the bi pod and the scope saying they had all been used but are not faulty i can not return them , i will never shop there again .
    sorry like you say war and peace .

stay safe shoot straight

Mike Watkins and Billbill like this.
  13. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Keyboard Hero

If you hadn’t of wiped the action down inside and it started to rust I doubt they would take it back as they would of said you haven’t wiped the damp off , you just Can’t win either way:oops:

Billbill likes this.
  14. Desmond.22

Desmond.22 'All round good egg'

Thats awful.

How are you meant to look after it then.?

Can you ask them for their required maintenance schedule you need to comply with.

Billbill likes this.
  15. Air arms boy

Air arms boy Wear sunscreen!

Why do these companies think it’s ok to treat uk buyers like this.! would never happen in USA and they really are dipsticks:D I bet in USA they could modify it and it would still go through a warranty claim yet over in Blighty removal of stock has made warranty void :laff:
    Unbelievable

Billbill likes this.
  16. Steved

Steved Busy Member

I'm not at all impressed with John rothery as they are Umarexs official UK importer and agent. I contacted Umarex HQ in Germany asking for help in sourcing a foresight for my pistol. Umarex responded within 24 hours telling me I had to buy the part direct from John Rothery. John Rothery responded by simply saying they dont deal with the public. Umarex make some damn good gear but their customer service in the UK is rubbish.

Billbill and steptoe2019 like this.
  17. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Well-Known Member

In this day and age when all retail outlets are alledgley on their knees and sales are hard to come by you get this load of dribble from someone who was happy to take your money, and then can not even complete a simple task ( 1 bolt ) as an under warranty claim to keep a customer happy and possibly returning to buy more product.
    Boils my p**s.

Well I hope they go under for such poor treatment of a valued customer ( every customer is and should be valued ).

Now you see why a lot of people are buying from non UK outlets, cheaper prices, quicker delivery, better service, and not treated as if they are doing you a favor.

When I contacted AGT ( Airgun Technology ) about a required part for my rifle I was up front and told it was second hand ( warranty not transferable ) and that I would be more than happy to pay for the part and postage.
    They would not hear of it, parts posted for free, and would not even accept the DHL courier cost. I got a tracking number the next day, hows that for service.
    And our UK shops wonder why they are losing custom.

Paul55, dancza, Steved and 3 others like this.
  18. Billbill

Billbill Member

Yeh IV been put of Walther forever now this has happened no faith in the company if they use wholesalers John Rothery

Steved likes this.
  19. Guloluseus

Guloluseus I break kit kats regularly :)

Go back a step.
    was rothery the RFD you bought from directly, or the wholesaler? If a gun goes wrong it should be going back to the RFD you bought it from- they sold it to you and are the party you have a contract with.

20. steptoe2019

steptoe2019 Engaging Member

@Guloluseus You make a good point but it is not always the case my gun was taken to the shop we got it from twice and they said they would sort it in the end i had to go there collect the gun send it to the importer for the importer to say they would have it fixed by a gunsmith but they spoke to the shop saying the gunsmith said the gun should really be scrapped but he could sort the issue enough for the gun to work , it was only by the luck and chance the day i called the shop i switched on the record button on the phone and the guy at the shop told me the convo he had with the woman at the importers that got my refund , i still got stitched because i had to keep the bi-pod which fitted a m loc i have no other gun with m loc i had to keep the scope and the silencer go figure they took back only the gun