1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

backstop/target holder project

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by hobson, Feb 12, 2012.

1. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

As i use A4 printed paper targets for practice and zeroing i was getting fed up of using drawing pins to hold the paper in place, and fed up of replacing boards covered in pellets!
    So i had a few hours in the workshop and have knocked one up, hopefully it might be of use to someone;

I started by buying a couple of clipboards from Wilko for a couple of quid and pulling the springy bits off:
    2012-02-12 17.35.00.jpg

Then cut out an old piece of 18mm board:
    2012-02-12 17.41.01.jpg

Now obviously you could just attach them to the board and you'd be away, but thats too easy, not to mention a not very safe backstop, so add a couple of bits of 40mm square wood to mount the spring clips on:

2012-02-12 17.44.06.jpg

Screw the spring clips to the batons and make sure the batons are spaced properly for the targets, then screw them in from the back:
    2012-02-12 17.54.02.jpg

Now you'll notice you have a recess behind the paper, which you can now fill with your chosen pellet stopping material, in my case some old hessian backed carpet, as many layers as will fit:
    2012-02-12 17.59.58.jpg

Now you just have to screw down the carpet/cardboard/putty/wood with some screws and washers, this is now the replaceable bit, so when it's full of pellets and no longer a good/safe backstop, you just put something else there, and here's the result so far:
    2012-02-12 18.03.51.jpg

Next up i'll be making a framework to keep it upright and building a surround, possibly with a light in it.
    So far all it's cost me is the couple of quid for the clipboards, and some offcuts of wood and carpet.

Any ideas for improvements or comments are gratefully received!

2. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Neat solution to your problem!

3. PAUL1986

PAUL1986 Big Poster

great idea mate :up:

4. Accuspell

Accuspell Major Poster

If you had an angled piece of dense material, maybe a faced piece of kitchen worktop, with the worktop side towards the rifle. At an angle of 45 degrees,I think it would be strong enough to deflect the pellets down. Cut a hole in your back board behind the target, have the carpet to slow the pellet down significantly, then the deflector plate should be fine with the slowed pellet - maybe do it with a piece of plastic kitchen board, that might be strong enough and it would be quiet for the neighbours because the carpet has taken the sting out of the pellet.

Might be a work in progress -but then you could collect the lead and melt it down to make a few fishing weights!

5. Lars G5

Lars G5 Member

I have a large cardboard box approx 28" wide and 16" high stuffed full of old clothes. I sealed it with packing tape and this allows me to either tape printed targets (A4) to it or stick on self adhesive targets to the packing tape.
    I have 4 sides to the box that I can use at any one time without having to stick new targets onto it. I just turn the box over each side gives me three A4 sheets of targets.

When too many holes appear I just face it with another piece of cardboard. It is also an extremely quiet pellet trap and does not disturb the neighbours as the pellets do not hit a hard surface.

6. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

Thanks for the suggestions gents, and to reply;

there's no issue with noise, we live on a farm, and all the neighbouring farms have someone who shoots, either shotguns or rifles, so the noise i make isn't going to upset anyone!
    I wanted to use the spring clips as I'm fed up with tape not sticking and being brittle in the cold! and using drawing pins is a pain too! fiddly things when you have gloves on!

I like the idea of the deflector, i have some sheet metal i could use, and maybe knock up or find a tray to catch them in, though heaven knows what for as i don't fish! but at least i can collect them.

I'm also thinking about making the main board be able to rotate, so i can put targets on sideways, as i have some nice rabbit ones printed that way, so it might be a case of having a framework to hold the main board which allows it to be mounted either way, i'll have a brainstorm.

Any other ideas please keep 'em coming! :)

7. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

wont last long a 12ft lb rifle will soon blow the centre out. mines already blowing my steel pellet trap to pieces. wood has no chance I use a paving slab and my holder just in case now works a treat

8. SteveB

SteveB Busy Member

Ok......................... I used to use the box idea but it was bulky, no rags but a steel plate angled inside.
    Then one night, I was sitting twiddling my thumbs and thought " I need something really compact to fit in the boot of my car!"
    I had a steel plate lying around ( for standing my bike on at bike shows) so I just made a frame up out of 2x1 to suit + 4 little hinges.
    Here it is:
    IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0457.JPG

The steel is naturally angled, and deflects the pellets into the tray at the bottom. The cardboard is stapled onto the front and easy to change. The bottom tray folds inside for easy storage. Drill 2 8mm holes in the top and knot a piece of nylon rope in a loop to make a carry handle. The weight of the steel plate keeps it closed while you are carrying it!
    Want to make it quiet? Put a bag of rags inside or carpet!
    Shiimmmmppples!

BTW....... That is NOT my shooting! It is where I was teaching a young lad to shoot a springer! He got there eventually!!! LOL!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012