1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Back to square 1 and £125 lighter.

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by sneakysniper, May 3, 2014.

1. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Here's a warning to anyone thinking about having a barrel shortened,consider it very carefully.
    I had my Anschutz 525 barrel shortened from a long 22 inches down to a very handy 16, but it wouldn't hit a barn door at 50 yards. The gunsmith eventually came to the conclusion that it must have been shortened below it's first barrel twist rate.

So, after changing scopes and firing off boxes and boxes of different types of ammo, i eventually had a new barrel fitted and it's back to it's former accurate self, but it cost me £125 for b****r all in the end, without the ammo costs! :mad:

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Shortened 5 barrels now myself personally and re-crowned them, usually 6" length taken off.... never had a problem!

3. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

That's an interesting reason your gunsmith gave. There is no need for the barrel to have a complete twist in the rifling at all, it's more likely that the crown wasn't done correctly. If you have the shortened barrel (which isn't likely as it would need to be on your ticket) it would be worth getting someone else to look at it.

4. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I agree with this; as soon as I read the first post I thought "The crown's not right".

5. 177

177 Donator

I lost count years ago of the number of air rifle barrels I've shortened.

Some seem to shoot very well with an absolutely clean, square cut. Most seem to prefer a good crown, which takes a few moments on a lathe or a few minutes with simple tools operated carefully.

I've shortened barrels way below the length you quoted and will do again.

Take a look on this thread that I ran a few months ago:

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums...has-anyone-actually-shortened-a-barrel-on-one

This post in particular shows the original barrel end with the countersunk crown alongside the remainder of the barrel, after I'd lopped the end off:

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums...arrel-on-one?p=1015442&viewfull=1#post1015442

Shortest air rifle barrel I've done had 9 inches of barrel protruding from the breech block and it would knock nails in - it was tough to cock due to lost leverage, but it was a tack driver of a gun even with the ultra-short barrel.

There's a retired gunsmith lives round the corner from me and he has a 30+ year old BRNO .22 that he shortened years ago. To say it's short is an understatement - there's half in an inch of thread sticking out in front of the stock and that's it. He has an old S&B scope on top and it's one of the most accurate little guns I have ever shot. His rationale was to use the gun comfortably from inside a vehicle covering either side, which it excelled at. He crowned the barrel himself and it's a little gem :)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. Humpers

Humpers Engaging Member

Is the original barrel on the 525 slightly choked at the muzzle? If so, removing this by shortening the barrel could/would affect accuracy.

7. 177

177 Donator

FYI there's an identical model to yours on Gun Trader right now that Riflecraft shortened the barrel on down to 14 inches which is even shorter than you wanted.

Seems to be who you get to do the shortening, rather than the shortening itself, that might the problem...

Sorry to hear that yours was not a positive experience, but I'd be asking the gunsmith why you were charged for a new barrel when others appear to be able to get the results you were originally looking for by shortening the existing barrel.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  8. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

His answer was that he shortens barrels to whatever people ask him to. I pointed out that as a gunsmith, he should advise people of any expected issues with length/rifling/barrel twists etc but his reply was he doesn't know the twist rate of all rifles. I knew full well that it's always a risk you may lose SOME accuracy and Anschutz obviously had the barrel length at 22 inches for a damn good reason.
    he did "re rown" it at one point but it was an utter mess just looking at it and the accuracy went even worse.

He wanted £75 which he claims he paid for the gun he bought in, but i paid £60 with 4 boxes of ammo thrown in. He complained he paid £75 and would have to scrap the bought gun, but when i said i would pay the £75 and wanted everything from it that i could legally take, he declined. When i saw the gun, it had my chopped down barrel on it so i suspect he may sell it.

This guy is used by quite a few gunshops so i assume he knows what he is doing?

9. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

10. 177

177 Donator

I'm not trying to argue the case, merely pointing out that others appear to be able to successfully shorten barrels on that exact same model so twist has nothing to do with it.

Like wise, lots of us on here regularly shorten air rifle barrels without any drama using the same techniques and principles.

Draw your own conclusions - a quick Google shows a lot of shortened guns identical to yours out there. How do they get that way if it can't be done ?

in your own words he re crowned it, it was a mess and accuracy was unsurprisingly poor.

I think you need to find another gunsmith and I'd put a chunk of money on the table that if your chopped barrel was refinished properly the gun would be a (short) tack driver.

11. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

I don't dispute it. I have my doubts myself, especially after he wasn't keen to hand over the bits from the other gun despite saying he was scrapping it and after my chopped barrel was put on it also. But there are quite a few for sale with short barrels which does make me wonder why they are for sale in the first place

12. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

That's the first question i put to him.

13. Humpers

Humpers Engaging Member

I'm still not sure if the 525 has a choked barrel, but found this post whilst Googling the subject which may be of relevance. Some barrels are choked, some aren't, so IMHO it's not possible to directly take other people's experience with successfully shortening a hundred barrels if they're not the same make/model barrel as on your rifle. And just because other 525s are advertised with shorter barrels it doesn't mean to say they're accurate; for some strange reason sellers don't mention that in their adverts!

Obviously the gunsmith's skills are also relevant, and it sounds like the one you used might be dodgey, but I suspect that if a choked barrel is cut down by the best gunsmith it still might turn out inaccurate. But then a good gunsmith ought to know or check if a barrel is choked or not and advise you accordingly.

Either way it sounds like you're well shot of him, so to speak.

14. 177

177 Donator

There is absolutely no reason why a choked or crowned barrel should lose accuracy when cut down provided the person doing the work bothers his or her backside to correctly do the job.

Any loss of accuracy will be down to the gunsmith's ability to recrown the barrel.

End of.

There are one or two possible exceptions that aren't generally relevant to standard off the peg rifles so I've chosen not to mention them until or unless they become relevant.

Believe me, we'd be hearing about it big time if shortening the barrel on a commonly available .22 rimfire lead to it shooting like a scatter gun...

15. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

All good points lads. We had several chats about the crown but he assured me it was perfect, he called it a "target crown".
    b****r all i can do about it now i suppose, at least it's shooting straight. An interesting point though is that this "new" barrel is 20.5 inches long and my old one was 22 inches.

I think he does repairs for a few shops in the South Wales area as well as private work.

16. airtech

airtech Engaging Member

i have done hundreds of barrels over the years and never had a problem. my first thoughts are the guy who worked on your gun has not crowned it correctly or maybe he has not cut the barrel true to the bore

17. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

I will never know, you do see quite a few of these guns up for sale with short barrels so there may be a theme here.