1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Back in the fold.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by rairb1, Feb 22, 2007.

1. rairb1

rairb1 Newbie

Hi there I used to be into hunting a few years back when I was 17-18 years old. Rifle of choice was a Webley Vulcan .22 and a Baikal 12 bore side by side hammer action thingy that a friend from my first workplace gave me (after obtaining my shotgun certificate of course). Anyway I`m now 35 years old and want to get back into the old ways, the air rifle side of things anyway. So could anyone advise on a new rifle for hunting, rabbits, pigeons and the likes. I like the look of the realtree stocks and if I`m honest I`m a bit confused about which way to go Co2, precharged or spring. 2 kids and wife with a shoe fetish means money is always going to be a problem, so £200 is about the top end of my budget. Also anyone know of any shooting clubs syndicates in the Ayrshire area (west coast of Scotland).

Looking forward to any replies .

Cheers Scott

2. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

Gun for rabbits.

You've a huge choice. Personally, for £200, I'd reccomend A Weihrauch 99S in .22+ a 4x32 scope from Ramsbottoms+mounts= £185+ £6 for a tin of
    H&N FTTs + £8 postage= £199!!! Blinking good gun too.

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

good guns Mick.
    I would just get yourself down the gunsmiths and just try some out for that price.
    'try before you buy' and do not let the salesman influence you.

now you have to decide ....22 or 177......:)

4. simply james

simply james Banned

22 for fur 177 for feather,its worked for me for years now.

5. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

if your shots will be below 35yds your beter off with a big .22:up:

i think the springer market you need to look at a good BSA will last you well, or a german thing.

by the way why do they say .177 for feather

6. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Feathers are remarkably strong if you hit a bird from the front. It's almost like they are wearing a suit of armour. .177 penetrate better, .22 can bounce off in a frontal shot. Even with a 12 bore, shots from behind are the most lethal.

7. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i can just use pointed pellets for them then?

will i need points for this years rook season?

8. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Pointed pellets aren't very accurate !!

9. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i'm sure there are some

the AA diablo hunters are a sharp dome shape they look accurate with good penetration.

im sure a chest shot with them will drop them

10. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I've had crows dust themselves off and fly away after being hit by No.6 shot from a 12 bore at 25 yards !! Ask Andyhawk3....I'm sure he's had similar experiences.

11. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

tough things arent they