1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question ave spread of pellet

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Kada82, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Kada82

Kada82 Busy Member

Hiya lad & ladies
    im looking for a bit of advice on getting average fps spread. I can get the average fps. Hopefuly someone will know what i mean

2. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Totally depends on Gun / Fill and Pellets

Nothing gives the Same

ChairGun does give some figures

Nothing beats a day on the Range with a Chrono -

BOB/R

3. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you're using a spreadshett to analyse the shot string you can use the various formulae which can give you the average, the maximum, minimum and the standard deviation which is a way of expressing the degree of variation in the values.
    If you have Chairgun Pro (current version) on a PC then if you look at Toolbox/statistics you can enter your shot string and then calculate the various numbers you want.

4. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

Avg fps spread doesn't really mean anything in real life as what matters is just the average FPS to determine muzzle energy and the difference between max and min velocity as a measure of consistency of each shot.

However, if you REALLY wanted to measure the average spread you need to shoot 10 x 10 shot strings, work out the spread between min and max FPS for EACH 10 shot string, add them all up and divide by 10 to get the average spread - bit pointless really.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

For shot to shot FPS variation,add up the difference in FPS between shot 1 & 2, 2 & 3 etc then divide by number of results.

For shot string FPS variation, do shot strings of pellets from your fill pressure until empty,repeat 10 times,take the highest and lowest value,find the difference,do the same for the other 9 strings then divide by 10.

Don't know why you would want to though?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  6. Kada82

Kada82 Busy Member

Im using a combro and that only gives fps/fpe. I just want to see the the average shot to shot average thats all

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I think some are having difficulty understanding exactly what you're after (myself included to an extent). As matty says, to calculate the mean ("average"), sum all your velocities and divide by the number of shots.

For example, if you had the following 5 shot string:

Adding them together gives at total of 3905, dividing this by the number of shots (5 in this case) gives a mean velocity of 781ft/s.

The easiest way to analyse shot strings IMO is to stick them all into an Excel / Google spreadsheet; then all manner of functions can be used to extract information from them. Contrary to what some others say knowing the mean velocity and energy can be useful; something can generally be learned from many facets of a shot string as well as the mean - such as extreme spread, standard deviation, maximum.... all easy to calculate with a spreadsheet ;)

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

In my opinion it's actually easier to use Chairgun Pro, once youve typed in your velocity figures a single click of the mouse gives you all the basic statistics and a graph so you don't have to understand how to use a spreadsheet.
    If I'm doing full strings I connect my combro to a laptop and save the data for analysis in a spreadsheet, I normally use the free Open Office on my laptop but it does require some experience of using formulae and knowledge of what the various functions actually do. Using the Chairgun function requires none of this and it is also free.

9. Kada82

Kada82 Busy Member

Yeah i dont think i was asking right sorry ill use chairgun.
    i did my 5 shot then ÷ 5 to get my ave fps. But couldnt think of a away to get the ave spread ?

I:E A reviewer says ave fps is 775 and ave spread is as low as 6fps. Hope that sort of clears it up

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I don't really think that's worth knowing.

Just stating your lowest shot to shot variation and highest,aswell as the highest and lowest overall.

11. loki_79

loki_79 Donator

Standard Deviation is probably the most useful measure of the variation within a sample shot string if you want to compare pellets. For reference, my best pellets have an SD of about 1 or 1.5 fps, and the worst are 3 or 4 fps.

There is a fairly accessible explanation of what is meant by a standard deviation here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-deviation.html. All it means in practice is that 68% of you shots will be within +/- 1 standard deviation, and 95% will be with +/- 2 standard deviations (assuming a normal distribution).

You can calculate the mean and SD in excel or open office etc, using the functions AVERAGE() and STDEV().

12. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

It all depends on what you'tr looking to get from your shot string. If you do a complete string from max fill pressure down to the point where velocity has obviously dropped right off then that can show you a number of things without any maths, you can easily identify your sweet spot (for a pcp) and you can tell if you are likely to exceed the legal limit.
    To get any real benefit from all the work you've put in collecting the data you do need to do a bit more and this is where it helps to have some understanding of maths and, even better, statistics. It's helpful to know your average velocity but, with a pcp, you should only use the information relating to your normal operating pressure, ie within the sweet spot. This will help in calculating muzzle energy and trajectory (using Chairgun or similar). You can also find out how consistent your velocity is and, as loki_79 has said, the standard deviation is a good measure of this but there are other ways of looking at it. If you are able to do these calculations you can evaluate the differences between pellets or the effect of carrying out tuning work on the consistency of your gun.
    For many people this is just too much information and they prefer to determine these effects by shooting. Unfortunately shooting introduces more variables, including the shooter and weather effects unlike a mathematical approach which reduces the variables to the absolute minimum although it does mean spending time, pellets and air shooting over a chrono.
    For anyone wanting to get some information on their rifle/pellet combination Chairgun Pro is probably the simplest as all you have to do is enter the numbers and click Analyse, if you can use a spreadsheet then you will have more power available.