1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Assisted Opening Knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Tools' started by ibo7, May 24, 2019.

1. ibo7

ibo7 Keyboard Hero

Any recommendations for a sub £30 assisted opening knife? I just fancy one possibly just for skinning etc so just solid and sharp will do.
    I've taken a fancy to the Kershaw Filter, any opinions on it?
    ke1306bw$02-kershaw-v201905.jpg
    Surely can't go wrong for around £28, can I?

2. Chandelier man

Chandelier man Keyboard Hero

I’ve had a few Kershaws and still have a CQC 6k with the wave opener :thumb: but not a fan of flippers ... I had a Kershaw cryo 2 which was a nice assisted flipper but I preferred the 6k

rellum and ibo7 like this.
  3. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

What & how much skinning will you be doing?
    IMO a fixed blade with more belly & less of a drop point would be a better option as an out & out skinning tool, and the 4Cr14 steel on this will not hold an edge for very long if you are skinning the larger beasts, and you will probably end up doing more sharpening that actual skinning.

ibo7 likes this.
  4. ibo7

ibo7 Keyboard Hero

Realistically? Not a lot and only small game ie rabbit/squirrel.
    I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a knife to be honest:D
    I have a cheap Morakniv that is more than capable, I only recently realised 'assisted' knives were legal in UK so thought, why not?

DRAGONBAIT666 and 2506sendero like this.
  5. Chandelier man

I must have bought 50 different knives in the last 18 months trying to find something I like .... in the end I have stuck with a Spyderco PM2 S30v for use during work hours (available with plenty of different blades steels) I have a Spyderco Pits with N690 that I carry after work ... I have a Manly wasp in my work van ... a Benchmade LFK which I keep in my motorhome and UKPK with S30v “just in case I need it” .... and a Kershaw CQC-6k that has been retired back to its box

ibo7 and 2506sendero like this.
  6. Chandelier man

I’d sell you this for £25 inc del ;) 934FAD5B-7894-4038-B9D6-2338141FCDA6.jpeg

ibo7 likes this.
  7. 2506sendero

Some good choices there.
    The Spyderco PITS is such a great production (& UK legal) folder, and i am lucky enough to own the custom version that spawned it's creation :thumb:

20190524_132358.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. Ruffian

Ruffian Well-Known Member

I always thought assisted opening knives were illegal in the UK also.

Always gone for folding knives as never thought I need to open one that quickly and the ones that I do use in the field have a finger tab to help open.

TheNewbieShooter and ibo7 like this.
  9. 2506sendero

They are not illegal to own or purchase, but you cannot carry or use in public without good reason if it falls into the category of over 3" of cutting edge with a lock.
    All UK legal carry knives must have a sub 3" blade and be "Readily foldable at all times"

Jagdwaffen and ibo7 like this.
  10. ibo7

ibo7 Keyboard Hero

Thanks for the offer but it's not me buying, the Mrs wants to get me a gift so getting ideas for her;)

11. Chandelier man

I had a blue one which I sold last week ... my silver one is a number ltd first edition ..... I bought a MK4 Pits from Mike before Xmas but I couldn’t get on with it without 5A9EEAEB-69AC-43A6-AE00-CA69118FE812.jpeg the spydie hole so I sold it

2506sendero and ibo7 like this.
  12. Chandelier man

No worries .... I like the wave opening design .... it is the fastest deploying knife ..... it is open as soon as it is out of your pocket

ibo7 likes this.
  13. 2506sendero

Yes - the MK4 is nowhere near as easy to open as the Spyderco version, as the thumb studs are right on the handle scales and you have to use the little tab/finger guard to get things started, so getting the blade out actually requires a sort of "Double movement" which is not to everyone's taste, but Mike was rightly very concerned about all the new knife law politics (read BS) that was/is going on at the time and he wanted to ensure that the MK4 didn't fall fowl of the people who think that they know the law better than anyone else :facepalm: :rolleyes:

ibo7 likes this.
  14. hughlle

hughlle Very Active

Does it not play hell on your pockets?

ibo7 likes this.
  15. Chandelier man

Nope .... it has a pocket clip but as you pull it out it has a wave design that hooks onto the pocket corner and opens itself .... so simple but effective ... there is no knife that can deploy quick ... I have an OTF auto but you have to get it out of your pocket to push the button.... the wave is open but the time it is out of the pocket

ibo7 and Gary Jones like this.
  16. Chandelier man

ibo7 likes this.
  17. hughlle

hughlle Very Active

Indeed, and that's the video I've watched, hence my post. Surely over time the hook would destroy your pocket edge/seam.

ibo7 likes this.
  18. Chandelier man

Nah not really .... the blade opens easily so no great stress on the pocket ... I don’t suppose it is any worse than putting a set of keys in and out of your pocket ... keys probably do more damage

hughlle and ibo7 like this.
  19. shergar

shergar Busy Member

Have always considered any folding knife to be an inherently weak design. At work a fixed blade Stanley cuts carpet, lead and strips electric wire. A small axe properly sharpened, resides in van, to substitute for chisel, wood plane or other cutting edge tool I might not have to hand. A fixed blade,easily cleaned, serves me for fishing, shooting and sailing,confident I can justify carrying in the circumstances.Never needed to have pocket knife in pub, restaurant or when shopping, anymore than I would carry scissors, tweezers and nail file, which I leave to the ladies and their handbags.

ibo7 likes this.
  20. Chandelier man

Dib dib dob dob ... scouts moto .. Be prepared o_O

Gary Jones and hughlle like this.