1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Good news Artemis P15

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Sep 13, 2018.

1. 177

177 Donator

While I am on here sorting a few things out I thought I would share the following (after being encouraged by some of the members to break radio silence):

I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by many air rifles over the years. I found a long time ago that price is no indication of engineering quality. I wanted something to interest me, something of a project, something that would make a good working rifle for hunting.

After looking at various options that included the FX Impact and RTI Priest, among others, I took myself to Redbeck yesterday and bought two Artemis P15 air rifles, one in .22 (obviously ;)) and one in .25 :up:

I have absolutely no interest in the 'other' calibre.

[​IMG]

My rationale was simple:

1. The much mentioned QC of Chinese rifles is no worse in my experience than other manufacturers who command far higher prices. You takes your chances at every price point.

2. I wanted something that wouldn't break my heart if (read when) it goes that strange shape of pear.

3. I wanted something to take to bits, tinker with and set up as I see fit. These are relatively easy to work on, Huma regs are inexpensive to add, I can FAC them and make a useful long range tool for clearance shooting, light, short, almost semi-disposable really.

There are other reasons but the above pretty much covers the bases.

Within moments of unboxing I had an Aztec Emerald scope on the .25
    [​IMG]

This is the first two mags (16 shots) using JSB King pellets (25.4gr) at 35 yards (the windfall apples were collected, sliced and dehydrated :cool:):
    [​IMG]
    The next two mags grouped slightly better, which was down to me getting a better feel for how the rifle shoulders.

All 32 shots fell between 446 and 450 fps for a rough average of 11.32 FPE :cool::up:

Of note is that this was as it shipped - the barrel has not been de-gunked, nothing has been fiddled with or touched; all I did was simply load the pellets into the magazines and start shooting.

Encouraged, out came the .22 and, with an identical scope on top and shooting at the same distance, the first magazine of 9 JSB Exact pellets did this:
    [​IMG]

I know I can tighten that up significantly, but early indications are encouraging.

First notes:

1. The stock is like holding a plank with rounded off edges. Some work required.
    2. The cocking action on the .25 is lovely and smooth - on the .22 it isn't. Some work required.
    3. The trigger on both is heavy and creepy, but I developed a 'pull through' trigger technique for sh*te triggers years ago and so it is more than possible to shoot accurately as they are without introducing torque, if you know how. Still, some work required...
    4. Velocity consistency figured are very, very good by any standard/price.
    5. Accuracy appears to be on the button, and should only get better once work begins.

The loose plan is as follows:

FAC the .25, do "some stuff" to it and I should end up with 24 shots at or just north of 900 FPS with JSB Kings. I might manage 4 mags (32 shots) if I keep the velocity to around 860 fps.

For the .22 I had a similar plan, but I may just use it as it stands right now for the foreseeable and see how I feel once I've got the .25 fettled.

Accuracy looks very encouraging, and audible volume @ sub 12 currently isn't bad when shooting, but I imagine that will change when the .25 is running at double the current velocity...

Worst case scenario I can use one as a donor with a full portfolio of parts, if required.

Light enough for my daughter to use, small enough to allow me to easily cover both sides of a vehicle while driving it, and inexpensive enough to lessen the blow if (read when) something goes squiffy.

£780 = two guns and lots of smiles

All they need to do is be mechanically reliable and they tick a lot of boxes.

The .25 would make an awesome rat or pigeon gun for barns as it sits right now. Personally I love sub 12 .25 for hunting, but I understand why some people don't get along with it.

Longer range testing will follow once the barrels have been thoroughly cleaned and then the real work will start.

Not for everyone, and if you had asked me a year ago I'd have said a definite no but then I shot my mate's recently and, on the back of that, I drove almost 6 hours round trip and brought a pair of them home.

YMMV

2. evenbad

evenbad Busy Member

Nice mini review had one in .177 [ YES I KNOW THE GIRLY CAL} found the rifle a bit on the light side also stock was to short for me. Accuracy was spot on matching my then Bantam hilite ,moved it on as it didn't feel comfortable for me.
    There are mods ,tuners out there which can improve the looks etc definitely a very capable bullpup ,enjoy your new rifles and keep us all informed on your tuning.

3. Tim_B

Tim_B Big Poster

Great initial review and glad you have broken radio silence.

Time will tell in terms of reliability, but with the amount of people buying them any weaknesses will be quickly found.

There is another thread on P15 regarding stock....a bit of work and they can look heaps better.

Enjoy them :D

4. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Nice to see you on here mate i have been out the loop for a while since we last spoke so its good to see you on here again.

Looks like you have two promising rigs there i look forward to your updates.

I now dont overlook cheaper alternatives and i would definitely consider a p15 when the time is right.

Get some crumble on them Apple's

5. carnivore

carnivore Big Poster

Then why are you called 177?

Gary Jones and Hadgee like this.
  6. 177

177 Donator

Tongue in cheek

7. 32:1

32:1 Post Whore

That's encouraging with the accuracy as Im picking mine up soon as was told to degunk the barrel before shooting

I'm same as you, and they just tick my boxes right now, plus its a tinkering thing too

Chris

8. no country members

no country members Tooled up tool

That stock finish is really growing on me. Not sure if it's retro appeal or what but I'm definitely liking it more each time I look at the pics. Think I need to pop down the gun shop and have a proper look.

9. TouchmymonkeyUK

TouchmymonkeyUK Engaging Member

I'm going to look at one in a week or so but i'm scared it is going to feel like a load of broom handles stuck together. But on the other hand the stock shouldn't really matter that much if it is comfortable enough.

I still want either an FX Wildcat or Impact but they may be more money than i could ever justify or just over the top for a few rats and targets in the garden.

10. snipperuk

snipperuk Donator

Nice write up..... 1 thing to do or look out for is the little pin on the cocking linkage.... It can drop out

11. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Major Poster

I don't mind the look, only thing with me, I'm a serious shooter so its only 177 for me 177:p, enjoy your shooting:up:

PumpnGun and Hadgee like this.
  12. TouchmymonkeyUK

Does that mean if i'm a really casual shooter i should go .50 Cal ? :p

ibo7 and oedbachgen like this.
  13. no country members

no country members Tooled up tool

If we're playing pellet poker I'll raise your girly 0.5 cal to a full 1.0...

[​IMG]

Remember this?

foxtrott and TouchmymonkeyUK like this.
  14. 177

177 Donator

I could argue calibres into the ground, but there's no point.

You lot can't help being wrong.

Whatever works is fine.

Up to a point...

15. TouchmymonkeyUK

Think we used to nick those from the CO-Op in the 70s hahaha

16. themadspread

themadspread Donator

the point where you rest your cheek looks a bit uncomfy how are you finding it bud

17. number10

number10 Post Whore

nice review 177.. What do you do with the dehydrated apples? Put them in breakfast cereal?

18. 177

177 Donator

This is my first bullpup so I expected it to feel strange, and it does. It isn't unpleasant, but I imagine a freezing winter day will tell a different story.

I am already considering a formed kydex overlay of some sort, or perhaps some thin adhesive backed neoprene.

In terms of eye alignment and cheek weld it's like anything: find a way to make it work, and it can/does.

It's nothing like a traditional sporter stock though. Anyone with any experience of military rifles ought to have no issues whatsoever.

19. 177

177 Donator

My daughter and I use them in packed lunches, and she eats them like sweets. Delicious. My tree gives a good crop every year. I've given bag loads to the neighbours...

number10 likes this.
  20. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

It's good to see you back :up:
    Some of the Chinese rifles had the bores thickly coated in a very sticky and persistent grease, it takes ages to remove but is well worth doing.