1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Are you old or are you new?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by stevieb, Jun 18, 2014.

1. stevieb

stevieb Active Member

If we were to divide the air gunning community here into two halves, which one do you think you fall into?

OLD: an airgun enthusiast who relies on the simple things to pursue his hobby. Scopes aside he has no need for 'fancy' gadgetry or other aids & prefers to do things the 'old fashioned' way.

NEW: someone who likes to make the fullest use of technology in order to enhance his shooting experience & will readily embrace new devices in order to do so.

So, which one are you & why?

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

New, but shifting to somewhere in the middle

but beginning to learn that less is more, improving my skills as a shooter, rather than relying on modern gadgetry, I think the only bit of gagetry I have is a range finder. When I first started, my rifle had more levels on it than b@q, and accuview thingies.

All in a box now, as I have reaped the rewards of practice:)

3. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Old, without doubt! If you want the why of it, well I like springers better than the modern phut sticks, I like the more involved and less clinical way of shooting that springers give me. I don't think all technology is the spawn of satan, I think a Chrono is a very useful tool, but that's about it for me. I don't kill critters, so that is maybe why I feel the way I do, I can only shoot from a bench rest at paper or other inanimate objects, so I can take my time. I like to shoot over longer distances, not that has much to do with anything really, but it is part of how I like to do my thing?:)

4. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

Both.
    I think some older style rifles suit simpler looking optics,more fitting of what it would have had.
    I have got a 3-9x50 on my 1989 HW77,one of the more common super size scopes back then was a 3-9x56 reffered to as something like "Moonlighter" due to the size of the front lense.

5. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I suppose I would definitely fall into the OLD category as I only shoot springers,with scopes,and don't shoot live quarry(used to years ago) and my only concession to technology is a chronograph and a little boresighter gadget for sighting in a new scope or changing them round.I like to keep my shooting fairly simple and enjoy it that way.Obviously if I was carrying out pest control or shooting live quarry then I would consider a PCP owing to their possible greater accuracy and quicker fire rate should a second shot be needed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  6. Kada82

Kada82 Busy Member

Im in the middle too. If im shooting a springer then its me & decent pellets. When i use my pcp i prefer it kitted out laser, torch bipod etc and make the best of it.

7. ALEXON

ALEXON Engaging Member

The oldies do not not need the new gadgetry except for maybe a chrono. A lifetimes experience covers just about everything. And remember pcps were about well before springers!!!

8. Barni

Barni Donator

Old and new I guess. Spent a solid hour with my HW 97 k paper punching and did notice the groups getting better . Practice practice practice . Although the ultra is so easy to shoot too. Just with hawke scopes nothing too fancy . Need to reg the ultra though !

9. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Old but do like my gadgets :nana:, all but mobile phones:smash:

10. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

OH EL DEE for me! Although I am interested in how the sport progresses through new tech, but a rifle scope and pellets is all I need.

11. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Been the full circle more than once lol.

I only hunt so I now use the best gear I possibly can, but saying that it isn't the same kind of fun nowdays to what it was hunting with springers in my younger day, and in those days I could carry a tx200 ten miles in a day no problems but since an accident that left me severly disabled I now sit in hides all day and shoot static, so I like to be as clinical as I can be if Ive waited a few hours for one shot, I don't like fluffing a shot.

Best airgun moments for me were times like clearing a rookery out or squirrel shooting using Theoben fenmans, tx200s, and FWB sports.

Still think out of all the airguns Ive ever had, I shot that FWB sport more than anything else in the field, if was like another limb when I was 14, I even loved the smell of the thing.

Now I will sometimes set myself a goal like for example I will target crows and a good part of the day may be sat waiting for that one or two crows to land in airgun range for me, its more than photography than what I recalled as the fun type of hunting with airguns I used to do.

Im afraid the worst thing airgun related I tried was joining a club and watching as men took airguns from their cars that looked like something from star wars and I found it very serious, and boring, it didn't float my boat one bit Im afraid, at least what I do now gives me the fix I want from airguning, everyone to their own I guess.

12. neiled

neiled Donator

13. crimsonshadow

crimsonshadow Member

Somewhere in the middle for me

14. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

I guess I'm old ,I have nothing new it's all 80/90s at least air guns and crossbows .
    I like the build ,mostly solid better quality some made with better tolerances .
    Kind of like with tools buy files today mostly useless but Stubbs ,grobet+Swiss so on outlast today's tool.

15. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

I would say old. I dont own any piece of technology for shooting. No chrono, no range finders. Just the Mk1 eyeball and an old well tuned springer. Had a couple of PCP's but always end up going back to a springer.

I do like the technology that you can get and sometimes i find myself wanting to buy something techy but then i think, do i really need to spend X amount on this when i have done without it for so many years?

Pete.

16. caddyman

caddyman Engaging Member

Old!!

I liked the older riles when they were new, and still like them now they are old:)

The newer rifles are too clinical for me, a bit like new cars, no feeling to them or character.

chris

17. Deanb101

Deanb101 Active Member

From Halifax and regularly frequents the "Halifax
    Started on springers when I was younger and fitter. Nowadays using my TX200sr at the range and loading it 100+ times usually means a weekend of neck and shoulder pain. Like the gadgetery and accuracy of the Airwolf, (single shot only, the mags are rubbish) my HW100 has become a close second now. Although at the range it has become too easy and clinical with the pcps.

D

18. Tan

Tan Donator

Born again virgin.

T.

19. zug69

zug69 Well-Known Member

I think classing a tx200sr as old a bit odd, I have one venom tuned and its as accurate as hell. I used to practice in the garden with bsa improved model d, now that was fun. I really like older rifles for nostalgic reasons but if out hunting I choose one of my pcps 90 % of the time.

20. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I've been full circle with kit, from springer to electric daystate and back. I think I'm somewhere in the middle now, rapid and a hw95/98 hybrid will do me just fine :D