1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Are These Ebay Kits Any Good?

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics' started by Brad Cronk, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Brad Cronk

Brad Cronk Well-Known Member

Looking at options for a NV set up without spending a fortune.

Has anyone had experience with this bit of kit and would they recommend it?https://bit.ly/2u5sbTk

Link takes you to an eBay listing - promise. :ranger:

2. ukglyn

ukglyn Big Poster

I cant comment on that kit, as a kit is only as good as the components it contains, I have got a similar kit thoough from NVUK & it comes highly recommended, never let me down.

http://nvuk.co.uk/

I have nothing to do with the company, other than a satisfied customer. :up:

tobys likes this.
  3. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

4. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Busy Member

Cheapest is buy a sony handycam .. Its got everything you need , and the added bonus of recording

5. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

handicams range aint great, and you still need a ir torch

6. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

The kit linked to also needs an IR torch.

Regards
    Peter

7. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Busy Member

Lot depends on what distance he wants to shoot at , 10 -20 yards is fine just for HC . further out a IR torch would help

8. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Busy Member

You can build your own kit ( with IR torch ) for £80 or less

9. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

A lot depends on which model as not all Sony's have IR or low light capabilities.

Regards
    Peter

10. Brad Cronk

interested. Do you have details? cheers

11. Brad Cronk

12. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Busy Member

I would have to go through my reciepts , as I built 2 and both still working coming up to 2 years now and still as new .. I use 5" screens , not the cheap 4.3 cheap crap that are commonly used and you dont see the scope circle either on the screen

13. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Busy Member

What distance do you intend to shoot Brad?

14. Brad Cronk

Out to 50 yards tops.

15. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Busy Member

Just seen where you are , if you was closer you could have tried out a build . I am not sure how far a Handy cam reaches ( without the additional aid of an IR torch) . If you wish to record , otherwise you will need a phone holder and app for your phone to attach to the NV as well . Bottom line really is ... how often will you shoot in darkness , is it really worth spending a lot of money on a prebuilt (kit) . Not sure if you shoot in back yard or a perm .. does the landowner really want people on his land after dark etc . These are the things you really need to look at before you decide if it is worth the expense .

16. Brad Cronk

Thanks anyway. I'd like to see details of your build. Just the parts quoted in the earlier thread are more expensive than the ready-made kit. All I'd need to do is figure out a recording solution.

17. terry1001

terry1001 Donator

With nv kit you'll get what you pay for. If you know what you're doing you can save money but most novices will get their fingers burnt. With the kits sold on ebay and elsewhere they will generally have cut corners somewhere to keep the price down but in the end it depends on what sort of performance you want, If you're only ever going to shoot rats at under 20 yards most units will be adequate but once you start to stretch the range the limitations become evident.
    Recording from nv is another can of worms, most of the dvrs available, and certainly all the cheap ones, use severe compression to deal with the amount of data to process and results are frequently disappointing. To set it up is fairly easy as you just need a Y cable to split the video signal from the camera. It is possible to get dvr units with a screen but they have problems as well, once again recording quality is usually poor and they can be awkward to operate in the dark as they often have tiny buttons so pressing the correct one in the dark is down to luck.
    Camcorders would seem to be ideal but only a few have nv capability and those are often less sensitive to normal ir light than the cctv cameras and work much better with 800nm ir light. Some can be too bulky to fit behind your scope and usually the screen is quite small but they are suitable for daylight use if you can manage with the screen.

Brad Cronk likes this.
  18. Brad Cronk

My goal is to use NV to shoot rats/rabbits with airgun only, so ranges will be from quite close out to 50 yards or so.

Would your advice be to experiment or just buy a name brand NV system from a retailer or perhaps used? I've been looking at the rtek units and the Viper is the cheaper option.

I'm an aeronautical engineer by training, so the whole world of cameras and NV and data is a little alien to me, but I'm confident I could understand enough of it to make a reasonable decision. Any advice most welcome.

cheers

19. terry1001

terry1001 Donator

I would suggest that, as an engineer, it would be worth while experimenting as it will give you an insight into the world of nv. One of the issues that you will come across doing this is that sellers on ebay and amazon give very misleading information about the products they offer. Sometimes this is ignorance, they just copy other listings, and sometimes it's a deliberate attempt to rip off customers. Much of the stuff is just cheap, poor quality knock offs and it's very difficult to spot the rubbish.
    In many ways building a nv unit is similar to building a pc, it's a modular system and individual components can be swapped and upgraded with little effort. Both can be done by anyone who can follow instructions and has a small amount of common sense, much easier than flat pack furniture! How you go about it is a matter of personal choice, I put together the 'simple night vision' project as one that really only needs plugging together. It was never intended to be 'cheap' merely easy to put together and virtually guaranteed to be sucessful for a novice. Many people have used cheaper parts and been happy with the results but it may well need you to source odd parts - something which is more difficult since the demise of Maplins.
    Since I originally did the video Sure24 have produced a kit containing all the parts (of guaranteed quality) that you will need apart from a battery pack and torch which makes assembly a very simple process. The E700 camera that they sell is made bt a company called KT&C and uses quality components and firmware which is ideally suited to nv use. Many other companies include 'e700' in their descriptions but these will generally be done to deceive.
    If you make your own you can build it to suit your own needs and preferences, generally it won't look as 'finished' or 'professional' as a retail item but you will get equal or better performance for a fraction of the cost. One area where self builds may fall short is in recording and finding a good recorder will be a struggle. Yukon and Lawmate sell good units but at a significant cost. Of course it does depend on how important this facility is and what you're prepared to spend. If videos and stills are really important then one consideration could be an X Sight - a new 4K resolution model should be on sale now or very soon and although it won't be as good in darkness as say a Photon it will be more than adequate for an air rifle and can be used day or night at the press of a button. On the other hand a rear add on can be swapped between scopes and rifles with minimal effort.
    Whichever route you take there will be plenty of advice available.

20. terry1001

terry1001 Donator

I should have mentioned that many of the cameras being sold will come with an ir cut filter in place and this has to be removed and that this can result in destruction of the camera. Sometimes it’s easy but there’s no way of knowing until you try. Sure 24 do theirs which comes with no filter from the factory.