1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Anyone use a water filter?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Burden666, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Burden666

Burden666 Donator

If so..
    Fancy highlighting the good, bad & ugly?

Looking into it but, as with everything, reviews vary wildly..

Ideally I'd start with a decent, cheaper, one to see how it goes before jumping into bigger bucks

2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

I use two very similar ones bud ... my kidneys :D
    On a serious note though, I looked at them a few years ago and did some blind tastings at two friends and couldn't tell the difference between filtered and straight from the tap. Didn't take it any further because of this plus there are no cost benefits. Only time I could see a system of use would be for the prevention of heavy limescale in hard water areas and then it would have to filter at the mains entry feed, so could imagine the cost would be even greater.

Burden666 likes this.
  3. Mike.lewis

Mike.lewis Donator

My mom uses a brita jug filter thing. Couple of years ago for some reason the water started to taste different from the tap - it made cup of tea taste like it had been made with swimming pool water. She changed kettle to see if it was that and eventually realised it was water supply, tried few filters and the brita one has made a difference.

Burden666 and metalman like this.
  4. metalman

metalman Big Poster

Use one all the time, you should see the amount of crap in the filter when it’s time to change :eek:.
    As an aside, i was in ITU for a couple of days over Christmas and the taste diffence between water from the cooler and water from the “kitchen “ was incredible. Basically a form of blind tasting as i was just given water. Cooler stuff seemed almost carbonated

Burden666 likes this.
  5. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

We use a brita as we have very hard water. I don't drink a lot of water neat so can't really comment on the taste. Has made the kettle last a lot longer though.

Years ago we had an inline one in our guest house. During routine testing it was found to be harbouring more bad things than the tap.

Dave

Burden666 likes this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore Very Active

We use the Brita filter too (my wife won't drink water straight from the tap) and it is very good. If you want a plumbed in device try Screwfix for the fit-through-the-counter-top model with replaceable cartridges. Mother-in-law has one and my criticism would be the slow flow rate but with the jug system you have remember to top up the hopper each time you use it as the filtration rate is reasonably slow too.

Burden666 likes this.
  7. Emmagoldy

Emmagoldy Engaging Member

We live in a hard water area and you can really tell the difference. I suppose it depends if your tap water tastes okay.

Burden666 likes this.
  8. ajs193

ajs193 Donator

We have a plumbed in filter tap. Our water is reasonably soft, we only get a small amount of limescale in the kettle. You can definitely taste the difference and even see the difference in a cup of tea. The filter cartridge sits under the sink and lasts 6 months.

Burden666 likes this.
  9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I've had water filters at work and at home and they help improve the taste of tap water. They use replaceable carbon filter elements which need to be changed once a year with average use. The tap water in Ipswich made tea taste horrible and had scum floating on the surface, filter solved that.

Burden666 and Officer Barbrady like this.
  10. Sky

Sky Top Poster

Have used them for many years - from filter jugs to in-line systems and even a reverse osmosis system (for fish tanks).

They make a huge difference as far as I'm concerned; contaminants, taste, clarity etc. If I can't use a filter, then I'll buy spring water.

As far as I'm concerned, the Petro-Chemical industry is saving billions every year by force-feeding fluoride, chlorine and aluminium etc. to the populace rather than disposing of it properly. :p

Burden666 likes this.
  11. Akita177

Akita177 Sharpen the pikes

Burden666 likes this.
  12. Burden666

Burden666 Donator

Thanks guys.. being in Mid-Suffolk our water is like liquid concrete.. had a GH and KH test for the fishtank water and our water was off the scale (used RO for that but have since sold the setup)
    Swmbo occasionally bins her cuppa because it tastes like bleach and sometimes I can smell the chlorine when the tap is running. Last time I checked Anglia Water don't add chloramines but we get the usual fluoride and chlorine etc..
    I drink a couple of litres of plain water a day and don't have milk in tea or coffee.. not sure I'll be able to taste the difference though.

I'll give a Brita a go for now.. although distilling is interesting, going to need to look into that (wouldn't RO give the same result?? Lots of waste though.. and can be very slow).

13. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

Burden666 - We live in East Suffolk in the countryside so low flow in the main supply = highly chlorinated.
    Our water is virtually undrinkable out of the tap and we have used a Brita jug for years, just watch the cost of cartridges, much cheaper online but you have to search hard.
    Good luck.
    Peter.

metalman and Burden666 like this.
  14. krugerandsmith

krugerandsmith Engaging Member

Same Same.

Burden666 likes this.
  15. Akita177

Akita177 Sharpen the pikes

Burden if you have that much chlorine in the water it might be worth getting a shower filter aswell.

Burden666 and Sky like this.
  16. Sky

Sky Top Poster

Agreed. I don't think people realise just how toxic this stuff is. It can get into your system very easily just by taking a long shower or bath and as for swimming in a pool. :eek:

If you're interested, take a look at this: http://www.bioray.com/content/Chlorine.pdf

Burden666 likes this.
  17. Burden666

Burden666 Donator

It's not all the time with the chlorine smell.. water companies are known to dose up with chlorine from time to time (back when I hadthe fish shop we used to get notifications from the water board when they were going to have at it)

18. pjgtech

pjgtech Keep Back...!! 2 Metres min...!!

Brita filter jugs used here, I had a kidney prob (eg: infection and stones) about 1 year ago, so on consultants advice, I now drink LOTS or water. :cool:

metalman and Burden666 like this.
  19. Kevin2306

Kevin2306 Donator

We use a Brita filter too

Kev

Burden666 likes this.