1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a shooting stick/monopod?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by pauljm116, May 1, 2012.

1. pauljm116

pauljm116 Engaging Member

I shoot using springers and for a long time have wanted to fit a bipod, but know that this cant be done so was thinking about getting a shooting stick to use instead. Just wondered if anyone used them and if they do make a difference?

Have just found this http://www.airgunspares.com/store/product/8339/HSF-Monopod-Shooting-Stick/ and for the price thought it may be worth a try and will be easier to carry than a regular (ie wooden) shooting stick, any opinions?

2. highland chief

highland chief Donator

they are not great mate, best get a nice wooden one with a cracking antler head, ;)

cheers

gus.

3. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

I was just about to recommend a guy who makes them.......

4. NitroGary0

NitroGary0 Well-Known Member

I have used one and they are great for the up and down but tend to wander side to side unless you have it real short

5. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

get three broom sticks,either cut down or leave as they are,I have mine at 4ft 6" buy a green bungie strap,about a quid wrap it round the top off all three sticks,open up and u have a a height adjustable tripod. Camo it up put a sling on it and u have a lightweight portable ,height adjustable sturdy tripod. Oh yeah you can put points on the feet to help stick in the ground.Remember to use a bean bag tho to shoot off,or a old pair of socks in a ball work to

6. Dunkman

Dunkman Post Whore

I use a pajir of shooting sticks for long range shooting in the open as both my rifles are damn heavy and hard to hold steady with freehand upright shooting and the sticks do a bloody good job of improving long range accuracy.

You have to lean the sticks towards you and lean into the sticks so that you form a third leg of a tripod.

Don't get a mono stick as you still have the problem of side to side movement.

The only downside is carry them so make a sling of some sort and carry them over your shoulder.

7. Brightey666

Brightey666 Engaging Member

I was looking at these too, or trying to overcome the same problem.
    Wouldn't it be harder/fiddlier to use a pair of shooting sticks with antlers on as they're not identical?.
    Would this be the same as using two monosticks flexibly banded together at the top to overcome the horizontal movement?. Then it would be possible to pop down the telescopic legs and store them a bit easier.
    I don't have any experience with either so please let me know if I'm way off, but I was thinking the same as Pauljm

8. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

9. andy46

andy46 Donator

10. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

ditto, i made mine from the huntersvermin youtube vid and they are great and light and most importantly cheap.

11. Brightey666

Brightey666 Engaging Member

I'll be off to get me some canes, great idea.

12. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

I used huntersvermin video as a base for my sticks, mine are made from bamboo, they flex a little in the 7foot version I have made but are rock steady in the 5-6 smaller versions. The 7 foot ones are for a specific job in the barn, looking up two trees to take out the pigeons in them two trees, the flex doesn't really matter as we can lean agains some hay bails and it's steady again. The smaller ones are for everything from kneeling down to prone shots, these are fantastic!

I would also recommend watching the videos on how to make his pull through, it's a brilliant piece of kit!