1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Anyone shoot in the rain/bad weather?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Andy Wales, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Hi,
    As I live in South Wales and our average rainfall is about an olympic swimming pool per every square millimetre 364 days a year, ok, maybe a slight exaggeration lol ;) It rains a lot though, it makes it a risky business taking the rifle out for a shoot even on dark cloudy looking days even if it hasn't quite managed to rain that day. So my question is how many members here go out for a shoot even if it is raining a bit (or a lot) without a care in the world? I guess what I'm really asking is, should the rifle get anything from a bit wet right up to VERY wet, what damage could be done to it even if you dry it as best as you can when you get home? Obviously the action is all metal so great potential for rust to start, but does the fact that all moving parts are well greased help to avoid damage? And as I carry my rifle facing muzzle up on a sling, what would happen if rain drops actually got down the barrel? It seems to me in this country, if one doesn't risk going for a shoot in between showers, no shooting would ever get done :rolleyes: Also, anyone who answers that they go out shooting rain or not, do you see many rabbits, crows etc on those rainy days so is it worth going anyway? Just something that's been on my mind for some time as I wait for that 365th day when I can take out the old rifle again lol :D (I am kidding, even Wales is dry enough for quite a bit of each year :p)

Andy :)

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

A lot of shooters go out in any weather, sun,snow,wind or rain,same goes for HFT shooters who roll around in mud like pigs :p

Soak your gun in oil and it shouldn't matter,as for water getting down the barrel,that will be driven out when a pellet forms an air tight seal at 800 FPS :D or you can pull through an oily patch to be sure

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

All quarry go somewhere in rain, crows often out in the fields picking worms in the rain also freshly drilled fields will decoy well in rain.

Pigeons tend to huddle up in rain making easy roosters as they lower their guard and the ground is soft and quiet to stalk under them.

Ive shot rabbits in driving rain but in the periods when it stops they seem to come out of their Burrows for a stretch more often.

Just take your action out after really wet sessions dry and oil it along with any moving parts, you can also oil the stock to make it more waterproof.

Good tip for the barrel in driving rain is to put a cigarette filter in the end to plug it, but remember to take it out before you shoot.

4. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, sometimes you just cant help getting you rifle wet but this can not be a problem as i have mentioned before, take action/barrel out of stock, vasalene or gun grease under action where sits in stock, replace and just use an gun oily rag after a thorough dry out in a warm room, and i leave over night with the muzzle end downwards to let and excess water drain off, when completly dry a light spray gun oil in trigger area and mag area with a pcp, springer moving parts and both good wipe over with rag, i use an old hanky or the free cloth with scopes

5. jw74

jw74 Posting Addict

I've no problem with the rifle getting wet.I'd rather it didn't,but as you've said it just can't be helped.if mine does get wet I do as a above take the action out the stock dry it all and oily rag it.then I store it over night before putting it back together.just to let air circulate around it.I've found that rabbits will run In if it starts to rain,but as said they tend to come back out when it stops.also there's always some that stay out in the rain too

6. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers :) I won't allow rainy days to concern me too much in future then. I have no idea how to remove the action from the stock of my Hatsan 60s, but I'm sure I could find out and manage ok. Just hope I don't break anything :rolleyes: When you say "oil", I guess you don't mean engine oil lol? There are light/spray type oils made just for rifle moving parts I guess? I will look it all up later anyway.

Andy :)

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Ballistol is all you need,it's a proper gun oil.

Regarding the stock,you'll need to remove the screws either side of the forend and the two that hold the trigger guard in place :)

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Gun care is mostly common sense, at some time you are likely to get the gun wet. Don't put it into the case while wet, wipe it dry as soon as you finish shooting with a clean cloth etc and then wipe over with an oily cloth. If you put it into a slip you are likely to introdice some moisture so leave it out if you can or use a cloth cover that can be dried properly when required. You will get more corrosion problems from blood and mud getting onto the metal work so clean that off asap. I used to go wildfowling on salt marshes which is a very hostile environment for guns so I always gave mine a quick clean before putting them into the car, right after I'd seen to my dog. To do this I used plenty of WD 40 or Duck Oil which was then wiped off with a cloth before taking the gun home for a thorough cleaning followed by leaving it in a warm dry area where air could circulate around it.
    Air rifles need to be treated with a little care as you don't want oil getting into the cylinder, transfer port area etc which can cause problems. If you make sure that the metalwork is wiped with an oily cloth every time you use it you should find it is fairly 'waterproof' and resistant to corrosion due to fingerprints, when you have a bit more time strip the action from the stock and clean/oil the hidden bits and follow the maintenance instructions that came with the rifle. If it gets really wet then you need to start thinking about doing the trigger and other moving parts - just common sense.
    Choice of oils and cleaning materials is always going to be a hotly debated topic. Some parts of air rifles have specific requirements (piston/spring in spring guns) but again it's mostly common sense and avoid over lubricating, your owners manual should give you a good guide as to what is suitable.

9. andy46

andy46 Donator

I still cant bring myself to take my hunting set up out in the rain all £1700 worth,im not a fan of shooting in the rain,if I get caught out with a shower then so be it,but will go out in all wind strengths

10. HWman

HWman Member

I dont mind if it is raining or not, but when it does, I always spray the gun with Teflon spray from before. I can imagine you dont do this with a +800 or so £ rifle. Mine is just a camouflage painted old but trusty HW80...
    In my area maggies hide for the rain in the thick willow bushes around the house, so when its raining i always do a quick outing :)

11. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

This will sound daft, but is it safe to remove a PCP's action from the stock with compressed air in it? I'm worried it'll go bang and blow my arm off lol.

As you can tell, I'm not very technically minded (desk jockey job!)

12. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

arrhh yer, just don't unscrew the end :yield:

13. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, only rats, sat in motor, mug of tea, nice cheese sarnie, radio on quite, park where the rats are showing after dark 15/20 yards away, passenger window down and rifle and n/v ready

14. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Very civilised :up:

15. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

I don't shoot in the rain as I can't stand the hassle of water getting everywhere on the rifle then having to strip it to dry out , wouldn't be good if bit of water went down the barrel and you take a shot , I suppose with high velocity pressuring water around the inside of the barrel could be a problem I guess ? I am talking about 3575 fps flying through the barrel ..

16. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

You'd think by now someone would have designed a waterproof sleeve for the rifle for shooting in the rain :rolleyes: