1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone recommend NS50?

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Evolve82, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

As the title thread suggests. Thinking of buying a NS50. Don't have the brains to make my own!

Any advice or suggestions? For air rifle only not rimmy.

2. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Don't know exactly what you're asking, yes it works, do I own one? Yep! Do I use it? Hardly, no criticism of the ns50 but night vision as a whole as range finding is a nightmare in darkness. Rabbits you think are 30 yards away may only be 10 yards away and vice versa

3. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Just trying a different tact. The bunnies have got very aware and need something different. What is a good price for an original one these days- not the new viper model! Want to sell yours? ;)

4. Felix27

Felix27 Well-Known Member

I was just looking at this, and although I don't own one, it looks like a great addition to any combo. Up until this stage I've only really done plinking, but I'm getting in to real hunting, and if everything is succesful, I might buy one. Also, the problem mentioned by Meteor62 can be easily fixed by going to your shoot in the daytime, and establishing fixed range markers, cant it?

5. David M

David M Donator

Yes mate, I only use my homebrew NV from a fixed position around my zero range from where I know they'll emerge/feed and have very good results. It is amazing to see them come out and go about their nocternal business right in front of you..! I was worried the glare from the screen lighting my face would worry them but I get down behind the screen and it hasn't been a problem...:up:

6. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

you can still get a new one for £299 from cheshire gun room bolton, other dealers will still have the odd one in stock, they are excellent and the range is well over the stated 50 yds more like 80 -100 yards.:)

7. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yeah I would say 80 yards but like others have said best off ambushing from a know range, trouble is you still get rabbits pop out in front and behind and you won't know the difference. Prob best going with what the other guy said and use markers

8. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

That is exactly as I was going to plan using it. Have a known point they come out at but they are so easily spooked now. I assume it's not for sale then meteor?

9. BarneyC

BarneyC Donator

Dan - I built a homebrew using off shelf parts for about £150 and it works just fine. BUT rangefinding is a sod even with a mil-dot scope. I'm tempted to run out during the day and stick some markers (with reflectors) up at 10m intervals to help down a couple of my local runs as I can often find myself looking at the wrong hedge in the dead of night.

10. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

I have an ns50 which I use for ratting and it is a game changer compared to a lamp,I also use it for rabbits but I shoot from a fixed point and use range markers because as mentioned it's hard to judge distance,overall it's a good piece of kit.

11. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

Out of interest what sort of markers do you use

12. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Shame you don't come down this way now! Am not sure about a NV setup yet, just looking around.

13. BarneyC

BarneyC Donator

Not even sure I'll be down over hols. Happy to document the thing and talk you through it. You pay the postage and I'll ship mine down for you to have a play with if you want. MrsC might be down for a week though and if so I'll send it with her.

14. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Thats mighty kind Barney. Will let you know and hopefully at least have a chat over the summer!

15. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Here's one you can use at air ranges on all but the very darkest nights with absolutely zero IR, a game changer indeed if you have red light or IR light shy bunnies.

But it's a dedicated rig that needs to be permanently fitted to a rifle that is mainly used at night - and maybe occasional day use.

It has an electronically adjustable crosshair overlaying the image.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Thanks for the tip. No luck there though!

17. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

18. jdk1

jdk1 Engaging Member

If you ever want to have a look through a decent home made system let me know as i only live at west kingsdown

19. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Thanks. PM sent.

20. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The NS50 does a job but most people will probably agree that it's the least effective one on the market. It can be improved considerably with a camera change (fitting an E700 seems to work very well) if you can get hold of one cheap enough. Even so it is going to be cheaper to build your own which is certainly not difficult if you can manage to follow simple instructions and use a bit of common sense, nearly everybody can do it. Around £150 should get you a system that will have the ability to see out to 200 yards with a decent ir torch or work at 10 yards for rats.
    If you want to get adventurous and extend your range even more then a scopeless build like Dave has shown above is a good way to go, although he suggests that it should remain on a dedicated rifle I think it's quite feasible to swop it over although you may need to re-zero it which is likely to take a bit longer than adjusting a conventional scope.